Notices

6 months later...

Old 04-14-2017, 04:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 months later...

Hey guys just a quick back story. I am 29 years old and abused alcohol daily for the better half of 5 years with some sobriety lasting as long as 3 months in between. I've always ate realitivly healthy and had always worked out regardless how much I drank the night before. 6 months has gone by fast, and it's been easy to stay sober. What hasn't been so easy is how I feel. Some days I feel great others I feel like I'm dying. I've had every test known to man to find something causing my symptoms and everything comes back normal. I was expecting to be 100% within 6 months but I still to this day experience tiredness, nausea, dizziness, anxiety and a general sense of fake reality. I feel like I'm doing everything I can to help myself get over this but can't stop thinking about the abuse I put myself through with alcohol and the people I've hurt with my addiction. I can honestly say without a doubt that I'll never drink again. I'm just hoping that I start feeling better soon.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi SMckay
I'm sorry you're still having ups and downs, but congrats on 6 months..

I think we have to get to a point where we make amends where we can and forgive ourselves.

That's not the same as absolving ourselves of responsibility but I think after a certain point beating ourselves up becomes punishment.

You deserve to move on from your past.

If you haven't gotten to that point I think it's perfectly possible that your guilt and shame could make you sick.

Have you seen a counsellor or therapist?

D
Old 04-14-2017, 05:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, SMcKay.
Congratulations on 6 months. That is wonderful!
I second Dee's suggestion about talking to a counselor or therapist. Could help put things in perspective.
Peace.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Booze gives me a level playing field. That left all the other crap- including anxiety. I need professional help with that, and it works.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 6 months Smackay.

Sorry you are having these symptoms. I would keep on at your doctor, if it is not physical then maybe it is psychological in which case maybe some counselling would be in order.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah Iam 5 months sober and around month four I was having panick attacks daily that Just hit me out of the blue, Iam much better now but it was hard. Iam just allowing myself time to heal I was Bing drinking for close to 15 years and the last 3 years very heavily. Yoga has Helped me massively with my recovery.