Notices

The only thing I have to look forward to now...

Old 04-13-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The only thing I have to look forward to now...

I feel like the only thing I have to look forward to anymore is food. I used to look forward to drinking after work...and the babies going to bed so I could just relax and enjoy my buzz lounging on the couch. I am trying not to hurry bedtime anymore - it makes me feel like a horrible person. So now, it seems that the only thing I have to look forward to anymore is food ...so much for losing this baby weight.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How about looking forward to longer bedtimes since you are now sober. Can you read your kids a book or maybe develop a fun, new bedtime routine with them that causes you to be present?
Old 04-13-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i bet if you put a little more effort into it, you could find OTHER things to look forward to!?? life isn't a constant reward system.

perhaps you could get into reading in the evening. or studying something that has always fascinated you. or exercising. or meditation.

NOT drinking opens up a whole world that you really have yet to see or explore!
Old 04-13-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Turn those bedtime routines into moments you will all remember and cherish, BabyBlues.

Make memories.

We are here for you.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
How about looking forward to longer bedtimes since you are now sober. Can you read your kids a book or maybe develop a fun, new bedtime routine with them that causes you to be present?
I've always been physically present . We play, eat dinner, bathe, rock and then bed. It's just I've always felt like I've been in a hurry to get them in bed by 8. And actually, I haven't stayed up to drink since probably December (glad I got off that train!). I'm usually in bed between 830-9, sleeping by 930-10. Staying asleep is a problem though. Despite not staying up, don't get me wrong, there's still drinking at night, but I'm more of a 4-5 drinks right off the bat in the a.m. starting at 5 when the baby wakes up, head to work at 9 and then 4-6 drinks in the p.m. when I get home around 5. My "drinks" are just shots of vodka or rum, so it doesn't take an extended period to consume. It's gotten to the point where I don't even feel "drunk." It just takes the edge off re: stress and crying babies.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
i bet if you put a little more effort into it, you could find OTHER things to look forward to!?? life isn't a constant reward system.

perhaps you could get into reading in the evening. or studying something that has always fascinated you. or exercising. or meditation.

NOT drinking opens up a whole world that you really have yet to see or explore!
I would love to get into reading. I'm a lawyer though so reading isn't necessarily first on my list after reading all day at work. However, I do hope to pick up the habit here soon as it has to be totally different than the reading at work...certainly more relaxing!
Old 04-13-2017, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi BB, I think in time you will find more to get involved with than just food. But if its food for now, so be it. Better than drinking. I posted awhile back that I don't necessarily plan things to do every day because I'm sober I can literally do anything. Anything from go hit golf balls, to watch a movie. Alcohol is no longer standing in the way.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Come join us

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-2017-a.html
Old 04-13-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Haven't even left work yet and the cravings are starting. Wish me luck!!!
Old 04-13-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good luck and don't give in you can do this
Old 04-13-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Since it sounds like you're trying to lose weight, why not start an exercise program in the evening? It could be yoga, which is relaxing, but will still help you to get into shape. Also, I got back into reading when I stopped drinking, something that I had stopped doing. It's a passion of mine. What do you like to do?
Old 04-13-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

From what you wrote I'm deducing that your kids are very young. I can understand not wanting to do any heavy reading after your day at work, but pulling out a children's book and reading to them is a completely different animal. Not only will you be teaching them a love of reading and books, but you'll be developing life long memories for all of you. My kids are in their 20's and we each have fond memories of bed time stories. In the interest of full disclosure, reading the same little book numerous times can get an adult a little looney, but it's definitely worth it.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Can you borrow a wii fit from someone. Light fun exercise, and a great distraction from thoughts of drinking and food.

Other ideas...

Old favourite TV shows - preferably feel good ones
Phoning friends or family for a catch up
A soak in a bubble bath
Foot spa
Read and post here
Gratitude lists
Prayer and / or meditation
AA meetings (if someone available for the kids)
Start going to a fun club or class (if someone available for the kids)
Exercise DVD (fun ones - borrow different ones from the library or buy them from charity shops so you get to chop and change a bit)
Art or craft activities
Writing short stories or journal writing
Dance to your favourite music

You might think, yeah well that won't cheer me up for long. Short answer: Neither will eating.

Working on our recovery tends to need to involve adding things to our lives that are fun or fulfilling. Things that are not geared around instant gratification. It's easy for us to swap in one addiction for another if we don't work on our recovery.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 04-13-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Exercise
Painting
Drawing
Puzzles
Series on Netflix
Re- decorate
Find a good cook book and start from the beginning
Meditation
Post here
Sewing
Garden
Learn to Mosaic
Take up an instrument ( while the babes are sleeping
Feng Shui the house
Bake Bread
Write short stories or your life story
Join the gym and get a trainer
Meet friends for coffee
Put the littles in a stroller and walk for an hour.
Join a mommies group
Learn a new language Rosetta Stone
Old 04-13-2017, 07:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
2/2016

Originally Posted by BabyBlues2 View Post
Despite not staying up, don't get me wrong, there's still drinking at night, but I'm more of a 4-5 drinks right off the bat in the a.m. starting at 5 when the baby wakes up, head to work at 9 and then 4-6 drinks in the p.m. when I get home around 5. My "drinks" are just shots of vodka or rum, so it doesn't take an extended period to consume. It's gotten to the point where I don't even feel "drunk." It just takes the edge off re: stress and crying babies.
Are you still drinking alcohol? I am confused. You have 4 shots before work and 4 shots after work?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
From what you wrote I'm deducing that your kids are very young. I can understand not wanting to do any heavy reading after your day at work, but pulling out a children's book and reading to them is a completely different animal. Not only will you be teaching them a love of reading and books, but you'll be developing life long memories for all of you. My kids are in their 20's and we each have fond memories of bed time stories. In the interest of full disclosure, reading the same little book numerous times can get an adult a little looney, but it's definitely worth it.
Oh I definitely read to my girls . Usually the same books over and over haha. My one has her favorites . I was referring to reading a novel for pleasure after the girls go to bed - something for me to look forward to besides tv and bed. I just need some new routines. I'm clearly stuck in a rut.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I feel like the only thing I have to look forward to anymore is food. I used to look forward to drinking after work...and the babies going to bed so I could just relax and enjoy my buzz lounging on the couch. I am trying not to hurry bedtime anymore - it makes me feel like a horrible person. So now, it seems that the only thing I have to look forward to anymore is food ...so much for losing this baby weight.
Welcome to the club. I was at 120 last year, post-hospital (detox). Well, I looked good at the end of my drinking day--really good. The husband loved it (which is not cool, I know).

Anyway, after I was forced to quit (June 11th), I've been great about the alcohol. for the first 6 months, I loved ice cream and sweets. I thought I'd outgrown sweets, but, no, the vodka was just killing my cravings for food and sweets. Got over the ice cream thing, started on the coke (drink) thing. Then, I was just eating like I was ravenous.

Hello 150. Gross. I'm trying to only look forward to coffee. I've lost about 8 lbs in 3 weeks--would live to shed 5 more by month's end.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HTown View Post
Are you still drinking alcohol? I am confused. You have 4 shots before work and 4 shots after work?
I'm confused too
Old 04-17-2017, 11:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

How about this for a list of things to look forward to?

1. No shaking when you pick up your coffee in front of your peers at work
2. No hangover in the morning
3. Being better at your job
4. Remembering the end of the film you watched
5. More money in the bank
6. No more worries about your health
7. No more worries about what you said the night before
8. Being a better parent (you might have been good before but you can't help being better when sober)

I knocked out the eight things above in 60 seconds. I could drag that list to 50 things if I had the time.

Tony