Notices

anxiety and sleep

Old 04-12-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anxiety and sleep

18 days sober!!!!! Im getting a little sleep now,,,,,a little!!!!! Ive been waking up very tense and and jittery,,,,,having to calm myself down to just get going!!!! No bad dreams,,,,just tense!!! Has anyone else had this issue???? Any advice welcome!!!!
Old 04-12-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats jwc on the 18 days! What u r dealing with is all too common. I am dealing with it as well. The problem is that prolonged drinking affects neurotransmitters, GABA, serotonin, dopamine. All affect mood, enxiety, sleep, etc. It will take a while for your brain to restore normal productivity of those transmitters.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Funny, we all have the same war story. One day several months from now you'll look back and chuckle, thinking to yourself "Glad I did it, don't want to repeat it"
Old 04-12-2017, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

This site educated me on all the physical and mental issues associated w drinking.

Before that i was fighting my addiction w out any mental armor or weapons.

Clean time dealing w the mental healing is what we all need.

Maybe not as obvious is the anguish we feel when we relapse even while armed w knowledge.

It is a looming threat even for high time drunks.

Addict for life.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, sleep and anxiety issues are very, very common in early sobriety. It took me weeks to start getting somewhere close to a "normal" sleep pattern. Alchohol is a toxic chemical and it literally changes the chemistry of your brain - it takes some time to heal - many times much longer that the rest of our body recovers.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by jwc1 View Post
Has anyone else had this issue????
Nearly all of us.
And I'm not sure I believe the people who said it didn't happen to them.

Hard to believe, but our brains perceive persistent alcohol use as bad for survival. I guess if you're sitting around being lethargic all the time you'll forget to hunt or be vulnerable to predators or something. Anyway, to compensate our brains start producing extra anxiety-inducing chemicals. This tends to offset the drunkenness and make us more alert so we can hunt or fend off saber-tooth tigers and such. (This is one of the reasons I had to drink more and more to get 'relaxed'.)

You stop drinking, but your brain continues to over-produce these anxiety-inducing chemicals. So guess how you feel?

ANXIOUS.

Give it a few months, your brain will self-regulate again.

You can do this!
Old 04-12-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by Horn95 View Post
Congrats jwc on the 18 days! What u r dealing with is all too common. I am dealing with it as well. The problem is that prolonged drinking affects neurotransmitters, GABA, serotonin, dopamine. All affect mood, enxiety, sleep, etc. It will take a while for your brain to restore normal productivity of those transmitters.
This is exactly right. I just turned a corner on sleep at 70-some days where my brain is now giving me some good sustained sleep at long last. I had a similar experience in my 205 day streak back in 2016.

Just hang in there, be patient. Good things are far more likely to happen for us as long as we don't drink.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post
This is exactly right. I just turned a corner on sleep at 70-some days where my brain is now giving me some good sustained sleep at long last. I had a similar experience in my 205 day streak back in 2016.

Just hang in there, be patient. Good things are far more likely to happen for us as long as we don't drink.
Thank you for the words of wisdom!!!!
Old 04-12-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SnazzyDresser View Post

No drinking for me!!!! Thanks for the kind words!!!!
Old 04-12-2017, 08:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

some common sense ideas here jwc

10 tips to beat insomnia - Live Well - NHS Choices

D
Old 04-12-2017, 08:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Nearly all of us.
And I'm not sure I believe the people who said it didn't happen to them.

Hard to believe, but our brains perceive persistent alcohol use as bad for survival. I guess if you're sitting around being lethargic all the time you'll forget to hunt or be vulnerable to predators or something. Anyway, to compensate our brains start producing extra anxiety-inducing chemicals. This tends to offset the drunkenness and make us more alert so we can hunt or fend off saber-tooth tigers and such. (This is one of the reasons I had to drink more and more to get 'relaxed'.)

You stop drinking, but your brain continues to over-produce these anxiety-inducing chemicals. So guess how you feel?

ANXIOUS.

Give it a few months, your brain will self-regulate again.

You can do this!
Appreciate the knowledge,,,,looking forward to the healing!!!!