Notices

I'm sober, so why so much pain and anxiety?

Old 04-11-2017, 11:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm sober, so why so much pain and anxiety?

Anxious tonight and my whole body feels tight and tense, my back and chest hurt, I can't sleep even thought I've had 4 bags of herbal chamomile tea and a Benadryl. Trying breathing exercises and stretching to help, but I am just so used to passing out with alcohol instead of dealing with my anxiety in more healthy ways. Now I am focused on the sober way of life. I just don't want to be in pain all the time!
Old 04-11-2017, 11:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Bronzie

you're in early recovery.. it's a transition phase from addiction to normalcy - and it can be pretty crummy.

But this is not the best that it gets..it will get better.

Try and be patient

You didn't get to where you were as a drinker overnight...and getting back to normal is kinda like that process in reverse ...

it's going to take a little time, and you'll have to have a little faith - but it will happen

D
Old 04-11-2017, 11:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

It probably wouldn't hurt to see your doctor. I am not sure how much sober time you have but is does take our bodies time to recover from the abuse. I'm sorry you are anxious tonight .
Old 04-12-2017, 01:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
All is Change

I'm assuming you are asking why is it so.

When I remain continuously aware of the sensations and I'm equanimous I become more and more deeply aware of the truth of those sensations. The sensations that I have spent a long time not being aware of now rise up into consciousness. If I continue to be aware, mindful, equanimous, the sensations intensify and eventually pass away. In other words it is not wrong. Quite the contrary it is right that this should happen. It is an opportunity to develop equanimity and become free from the sensations. Give these unpleasant sensations no more importance than any other sensations. Remain aware of them but also remain aware of other sensations and continue to do whatever needs to be done moment to moment on the mundane level. The unpleasant sensations continue to rise and pass away.

If it becomes too intense go for a walk and while walking be aware of walking.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bronzie,
You are looking for instant gratification after you quit drinking. It doesn't work that way. It took years of drinking to get you to this point. It is going to take a little bit of time to feel better.
Everyone is different but here was my approximate timeline-
Week 1 - Ill. anxious, sleepless, strong cravings
Week 2 - Started to get some sleep, illness gone, cravings reduced
Week 3 - Feeling better physically, mentally still in the clouds somewhat
Week 4- Thinking clearly, emotionally stable
2 Months - Started feeling like my old self again, infrequent cravings
3 Months - Back in the saddle, cravings very rare
4 Months - I'll let you know tomorrow....

Gaining your sobriety back is like being trapped in a cave in. You need to do a little digging before you'll see the sunshine. But once your out it's a beautiful day!!!

I know it's sh**ty right now, trust me we ALL know, and we are all pulling for ya!
Old 04-12-2017, 04:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would have loved that the act of putting the plug in the jug automatically cured all of my symptoms of years of active alcoholism. but that's not how it worked. that was years of abuse on my body,mind, and spirit- years that were going to take time and work to heal all 3.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

A mistake I made repeatedly was thinking that after not drinking for a day I was no longer intoxicated.

The effects of persistent alcohol use on brain chemistry last for MONTHS after quitting. It's one of the reasons drinking again seems so very appealing.

Keep your eye on the big picture and your long term goal.
THIS will get better.
YOU can do this.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
totfit

Even though sober tonight, you are likely experiencing pain and anxiety that are a result still of drinking. It takes just a little bit of time and proper diet/exercise to get back. While lots of us, including myself are not patient, patience is required. While not a big AA person any longer, one of the sayings from the rooms that would apply is, "don't give up before the miracle happens".
Indeed, many give up quickly as they decide "if I am going to feel this way sober, I may as well drink." The issue with that thinking is that much of the time, they have yet to experience how they will feel in sobriety. Best to you.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bronzie, I'm at 32 days and just now feeling a bit more normal. My anxiety and fatigue were really bad the first 2 -3 weeks. But it's getting much better-- so hang in there.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Perhaps there are some underlying issues that need to be addressed? Not all issues are from alcohol use; at least this has been my experience. Being anxious or cycling through thoughts has been am issue for me for a very long time. It has lessened after quitting alcohol but the anxiety is still present. Now I get to work on it in a healthy way rather than drinking and making it worse.

Just my thoughts.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Lots of good advice here Bronzie. What you are going through is quite common in early recovery, your body as well as your mind need to recover from the damage done by drinking. Alcohol is a toxic substance that literally changes your brain chemistry, so it takes time for it to change back.

Anxiety is also very common in early recovery - alcohol is a central nervous system depressant, so your brain is literally "waking up" from being sedated over a long period of time. Things feel much more raw because you are actually "feeling" them now, rather than trying to simply avoid them by getting drunk.

I am personally a diagnosed anxiety sufferer, and for me part of my drinking was a failed attempt to self medicate. If the anxiety you are experiencing does not let up after a while, consider seeing someone to talk about it. It is an easily diagnosable and very treatable condition. But for now early on - just remember that it's kind of par for the course to feel this way.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm approaching 7 weeks and things are starting to even out. I found the anxiety came in waves, especially if I was talking about something heavy, it would just wash over me. My brain has been very busy over the last few weeks, like it's gone into hyperdrive. I'm taking that as a sign of health that I'm coming back to life, even though it has been annoying. My emotions were quite raw the first month. I remember trying to explain something to my bf and all of a sudden I was crying, it came out of nowhere. In my opinion these are all good things and signs that I'm headed in the right direction and healing Sometimes I have moments of intense joy and I laugh easier and my self esteem and self respect are coming back. Stay with it. It gets better.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
under new management

I spent many, many years numbing everything with alcohol. When I quit I was overwhelmed with feelings, bad feelings, worse feelings and then, slowly, good feelings. And some days, even very good feelings.

Early days are tough. Be tougher.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
A mistake I made repeatedly was thinking that after not drinking for a day I was no longer intoxicated.
So very true. A day or two or three without alcohol is not being sober. Hang in there and stay the course. It takes patience, but things will definitely improve.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all for responding. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow morning to follow up on a medicine she gave me last week, Baclofen. I can report to her that I have only drank once since I seen her last week. My body feels very weak and I have a demanding job taking care of little kids, so I have to be able to work. Plus I have a 3 year old who is also very demanding of my time and attention. I also have a cold which is causing me to lose my voice and feeling very tired and weak. I'm really just so tired and it's only Wednesday. But I know drinking will not help, it would make it so much worse!
Old 04-12-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bronzie View Post
Thank you all for responding. I am seeing my doctor tomorrow morning to follow up on a medicine she gave me last week, Baclofen. I can report to her that I have only drank once since I seen her last week. My body feels very weak and I have a demanding job taking care of little kids, so I have to be able to work. Plus I have a 3 year old who is also very demanding of my time and attention. I also have a cold which is causing me to lose my voice and feeling very tired and weak. I'm really just so tired and it's only Wednesday. But I know drinking will not help, it would make it so much worse!
I admire your effort. Only once in the past week sounds like such a big accomplishment to me! I haven't done that since I started drinking again in Septemebr of last year after my daughter was born . Keep up the good work!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You should see a doctor to get help. I was prescribed Gabapentin for the anxiety. It does seem to help.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i agree that your thinking needs to become more LONG TERM.....sobriety is a journey. healing physically, emotionally and spiritually. ain't no quick fix. we spent years beating ourselves to a bloody pulp, it's going to take time, a lot of time, to repair the damage.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Those were all very common symptoms I had going through withdrawals. They would last a week or more.
Every time I started drinking again, and then stopped, it was the same thing. Intense anxiety, pain, and illness.
Eventually the withdrawals got worse even if I didn't go back to my regular heavy levels.
It's part of the process, it will pass. And I definitely agree with following up regularly with your doctor.
I had a massive professional support team for 6 months who helped me get to the point where I am now. So having lots of support is never a bad thing.

Just want to reiterate, once this passes, you don't ever have to go through this again. Stay the course, you can do it.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Just got home from a very chaotic day at work. I am not drinking, just resting and having dinner. I think the medicine the dr gave me last week is helping some with the cravings and anxiety. Still experiencing pain and weakness. I know there's no quick fix, just keep looking ahead long term and know this is going to pass.