Notices

9 weeks sober and feel like CRAP

Old 04-11-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy 9 weeks sober and feel like CRAP

Hi, All!
This is my first time posting to a forum. I've been sober from alcohol for 9 weeks. Had TONS of energy etc at first (pink cloud?); now, however, I am having headaches, lethargy, stomach aches, etc and physically feel, more often than not, that I have been hit by a Budweiser truck (ha ha). Today, for instance, it is hard to move. I'm eating well, not too much sugar, drinking tons of water, taking supplements (milk thistle, vitamin, fish oil etc). I know I need to be patient and I can deal with the "mental" issues I have going on right now very well. This PHYSICAL stuff, though, is kicking my butt. Is this "normal"? I just kind of thought all of these things would happen in the first few weeks of stopping and not now when I feel like I'm really getting on track.
Thanks so much for listening.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR KES06 and congrats on 9 weeks! There really is no such thing as "normal" when it comes to sobriety, or even life in general for that matter. But it is common for people to have ups and downs after quitting, that is for sure.

If you are having physical issues as you mention, seeing a doctor is probably the first thing you should do and rule out physical causes. There are a plethora of things that could be causing the symptoms you are having, it would be impossible for us to diagnose them here. Don't rule out a mental source of physical issues too - health anxiety/general anxiety can sometimes manifest itself with physical symptoms.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's a lot of controversy about the concept of "PAWS" (Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome), but I found it useful to help explain physical and mental symptoms which persisted beyond the ordinary period for acute withdrawal and seemed to be coming from "outside" myself (i.e., they weren't just ordinary ups and downs on which I was focusing too intensively):

http://digital-dharma.net/post-acute...r-immediately/

No matter what name you give it, it's a truth that we can't abuse our brains and nervous systems for years and then expect them to repair themselves in an instant.

I concur with Scott's advice to see a physician in order to rule out any non-alcohol-related cause for your feeling lousy.

Welcome to SR, congrats on 9 weeks, and stay the course! SR can help.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on 9 weeks that is awesome! I agree with the others that seeing a doctor is a good idea.

I had many ups and downs in early recovery from feeling great at the beginning, feeling crappy , lots of ups and downs.

I spent years abusing my body that is just makes sense that it is going to take time for it to heal.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

Do talk to your doctor and then you can decide what to do from there.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on 9 weeks sober! Early sobriety can be a bumpy ride sometimes. I agree that seeing your doctor is a good idea. I hope you start feeling better soon.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! 9 weeks is awesome! Congrats!
Old 04-11-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Could it be that you are just ill and this has nothing to do with drinking? 9 weeks is quite a long time.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you. I was wondering about "PAWS", although it speaks more to mental unrest versus physical. I hope that is what it is. I will definitely go to doctor in the next week or two. I just wondered if anybody else had experienced these physical symptoms at this stage of the game. Kind of daunting reading that PAWS can last for up to 2 years. But I guess that is a short time, compared to 20+ years of abuse.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by KES06 View Post
Kind of daunting reading that PAWS can last for up to 2 years.
I would hesitate to read too much or rely on "Dr. Google" too often, that in itself can cause problems. You are doing a lot of good things diet and exercise wise, and following up with your regular doc is a great idea. I'd also say again...it's very possible that psychological conditions can manifest themselves physically in the form of many of the things you listed.

Regarding "PAWS" specifically - keep in mind that it is not a diagnosable condition from either a medical or psychological standpoint. It's really a term that is more of a "catch all" for common symptoms experienced by recovering addicts...but there is no actual diagnosis or cure available. It IS possible to diagnose and treat many of the symptoms though, so you don't want ot just ignore them by any means.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel like crap too at more than a few weeks of sobriety. I am beginning to think PAWS too. I have always been prone to headaches but this is ridiculous. And I am under a dr's care. I've even ruled out a tumor, and am awaiting allergy test results. I take preventative migraine medication as well as immediate acting migraine medication but the headaches recur nearly every day.

My pattern of drinking was sobriety for a month or two then relapse for a few days to a week. And every time I reach a month or two of sobriety I start getting the horrible headaches again.

I hope yours pass and mine too, as well as the lethargy and overall unwellness. Best wishes to you.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-2.html
Old 04-12-2017, 04:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm fully committed to sobriety now. I have a strong sobriety plan. I got into trouble with the law and have several required meetings, SMART, counseling, CPS, and anger management. They are helping greatly. But they don't help the headaches. I just reall hope those pass because they have been somewhat debilitating and put a damper on my well-being and happiness.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Took me a very long time to recover.

Learned to just deal with what it is today.

When the good ones come -- I thank the One up above.

I also thank Him for my sobriety often.

Note -- highly recommend -- bicycle riding -- recovery wonder machine.

M-Bob
Old 04-12-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My body, mind, emotions, spirit.... ALL went through a lot of changes, ups, downs and in between for the first year of sobriety.

Even 3 years on I am still finding new nuances and phases. Because, life.

Sobriety is a gift, it is far better overall than a life of drinking. But after a long many years of drinking, it takes time to relearn life. To adjust and to grow.

That includes physically.

9 weeks is a great accomplishment!

It's also a very short time.

Hang in there and have patience and faith.

Take little steps each day, following your intuition about what's next. Maybe a short walk or a run. Maybe join a gym. Maybe martial arts or some physical activity that also has a social element.

Maybe meditation or a weekly massage.

Feel your way through, be present, listen to your body and your inner voice. Stay sober and keep asking yourself and whatever power you may believe can help guide you.... 'what's next?'. And listen for the call in a direction.

You can do this.