Notices

Sobriety is a Process and Not an Event

Old 04-10-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety is a Process and Not an Event

I cam across this while doing some reading online.

"The idea that people just give up their addiction, and automatically live happily ever after, is a myth. This is because there will have been a reason why the individual fell into addiction in the first place; that reason will probably still be there when they get sober. The usual motivation for why people turn to substance abuse is an inability to cope with life– they will have been relying on ineffective coping strategies. If this individual just gives up alcohol or drugs without making any other changes, then they will just be back where they started. More work is needed so that this person is not only able to escape their addiction but also build a good life. This is why it is sometimes said that recovery is a process and not an event. The individual who passes through rehab does not graduate .Their journey is only just beginning."

I thought this was good. I've learned through my recovery that you have to find out what got you there in the first place. You have to think "what got me addicted?" I know for me it was a lack of parenting, a lack of family structure, and never knowing how to cope with emotions.

I hope that all who read this are having a great day. Stay strong and keep up the great work.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigguyslimm View Post
I cam across this while doing some reading online.

"The idea that people just give up their addiction, and automatically live happily ever after, is a myth. This is because there will have been a reason why the individual fell into addiction in the first place; that reason will probably still be there when they get sober. The usual motivation for why people turn to substance abuse is an inability to cope with life– they will have been relying on ineffective coping strategies. If this individual just gives up alcohol or drugs without making any other changes, then they will just be back where they started. More work is needed so that this person is not only able to escape their addiction but also build a good life. This is why it is sometimes said that recovery is a process and not an event. The individual who passes through rehab does not graduate .Their journey is only just beginning."

I thought this was good. I've learned through my recovery that you have to find out what got you there in the first place. You have to think "what got me addicted?" I know for me it was a lack of parenting, a lack of family structure, and never knowing how to cope with emotions.

I hope that all who read this are having a great day. Stay strong and keep up the great work.
This is so true. When I first quit I thought my life would transform right away. Well that didn't happen, which sort of freaked me out. Only when I changed my lifestyle and attitude did I start to see real change.

Thanks for the post.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks,bigguy. Interesting post, and so true.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

While self-knowledge can indeed a crucial part of recovery, it won't do a thing to help anyone quit drinking.

I spent years dabbling around in recovery, yet continued to drink. This was because my addicted mind seized enthusiastically upon the notion that I needed to understand all the "whys" behind my drinking before I could actually quit. This is nonsense, of course.

The truth was, I drank because I was an alcoholic, and all the backstory regarding the underlying "whys" didn't mean a thing until I could actually stop drinking long enough for my mind to clear and for the "whys" to have meaning and context.

A better way of saying it might be, "Quitting drinking is an event. Learning how to live sober is a process."
Old 04-10-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

wise words- on the nail!
Old 04-10-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the insight. I have always known that, but to see it in writing just solidifies what I knew. Again, thank you.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your post is right on point, bigguyslimm.

Thank you!
Old 04-10-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
While self-knowledge can indeed a crucial part of recovery, it won't do a thing to help anyone quit drinking.

I spent years dabbling around in recovery, yet continued to drink. This was because my addicted mind seized enthusiastically upon the notion that I needed to understand all the "whys" behind my drinking before I could actually quit. This is nonsense, of course.

The truth was, I drank because I was an alcoholic, and all the backstory regarding the underlying "whys" didn't mean a thing until I could actually stop drinking long enough for my mind to clear and for the "whys" to have meaning and context.

A better way of saying it might be, "Quitting drinking is an event. Learning how to live sober is a process."
EXACTLY.

Quitting is first, living follows. Truly living in sobriety doesn't depend on the whys and wherefores of my past and my drinking; it depends on my active recovery that everything else in my life depends on and grows from.

The maxim "you can't think your way out of a drinking problem" sure is true for me.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great insight from everyone on this thread. I've dabbled in recovery for years. Even had some sober months. I didn't work the recovery process. I was just living each day not drinking. The only thing that changed in my life was I didn't drink.

This thread has opened my eyes to the fact that once I quit, I must actively work on creating a new sober life to help prevent relapse. I will need to do some soul searching and implement safeguards as well as let go of the fear of not knowing how to live sober. Take it one day at a time and start living the life I want.

Thank each of you for your views.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
This thread has opened my eyes to the fact that once I quit, I must actively work on creating a new sober life to help prevent relapse. I will need to do some soul searching and implement safeguards as well as let go of the fear of not knowing how to live sober. Take it one day at a time and start living the life I want.
That's some good insight Sinderos, it is a lot more than just stopping the physical act of drinking. Having said that, don't let the soul searching and research stop you from taking the first step at any time. It all starts with a commitment to put down the bottle/can.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by ljc267 View Post
This is so true. When I first quit I thought my life would transform right away. Well that didn't happen, which sort of freaked me out. Only when I changed my lifestyle and attitude did I start to see real change.

Thanks for the post.
I totally agree. Attitude makes all the difference cause sometimes things gets worse before they get better and that also freaked me out in the beginning too.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
That's some good insight Sinderos, it is a lot more than just stopping the physical act of drinking. Having said that, don't let the soul searching and research stop you from taking the first step at any time. It all starts with a commitment to put down the bottle/can.
what scott said.
soul searching didnt do crap for me when i was drinking.
creating a new sober life started with wanting to be sober.
fear of not knowing how to live sober- theres only one way to learn- get sober and start living.
something that helped me combat that fear was the fear of living with alcohol still in my life