Notices

Failing at recovery

Old 04-09-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Failing at recovery

Ok so I realise people here are likely getting sick of me and my inability to get my act together. I fell off the wagon twice this week on Thursday night and last night. I've been trying to quit for six months now but can't last longer than a week. I'm desperate for today to be my last day 1. Time to make a plan.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Don't get discouraged. I, for one, am not sick of you or anyone else because it takes courage to keep trying and as long as you are trying then you are still ahead of thousands of others out there who never even take that first step. Chin up.

Make a plan. Write it down. Include some exercise and meetings. Then, make that plan the very most important thing in your life - because it IS.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for your kindness. Until now my plan has just been "don't drink". That isn't enough
Old 04-09-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nunn - nobody is sick of you. Is there something you can pinpoint that caused you to drink those nights? I think making a plan is a great idea. Maybe post here before you drink? Glad you came back.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

it really has to be the decision that you will not drink at all, ever, under any circumstances, NO MATTER WHAT. as long as you give yourself permission to drink <<IF>> you WILL drink.

i will tell you one truth. that i know absolutely. it is by far easier to DECIDE to QUIT and stay quit, then it is to TRY to quit. once you accept that alcohol is no longer part of the equation, every other choice gets so much easier.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here is a great link on recovery plans: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

I really encourage you to write your own plan down. Formulating a written plan for yourself is super important and helpful.

Also, not now, but when you feel up to it, think about flipping your thinking and posting something about "succeeding at recovery." No matter how many times you have failed, you only need to succeed once. And your post indicates that you drank yesterday but not today. That makes today a success. And if not today, then start your success right now, this hour. By expressing ourselves in a positive manner, we can start to shift our thinking from discouragement to encouragement.

Good luck! Keep posting.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

SoberNunn, we are all here for you! You've got this! One day at a time. I never realized how important that phrase was until I made the decision that I can never drink again. I wake up every morning and make a plan to not drink. Keep busy and then go to bed proud that I didn't drink that day. Rinse and repeat. You can do this.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

SoberNunn, you're farther ahead now than you were before you understood that your previous plan wasn't enough.
look around, see what folks make work for them here . pick a path and follow it.
desperation can be a gift.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Until now my plan has just been "don't drink". That isn't enough

You're right. That's a wish

As long as you are making wishes, you could wish to win the lottery. The odds are about the same.

In AA I learned that alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful. It's also very patient.

Trying to win the battle against it, all by your lonesome, is damn near impossible in my opinion.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's hard to do it alone. I needed maximum support from everyone at SR. But I did my part too. It's not easy, but it can be done.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

No one is sick of you x keep trying
Old 04-10-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting soberNunn - I feel the same as you. I never realised it would be so difficult. Need to focus all efforts on being sober and find support wherever possible - I'll keep trying as I know you will.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Make today the first of many with sobriety. Try doing the 90/90 with AA everyday, they are free and everywhere. Having a solid support system significantly ups your chances of succeeding.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sick of you but I wonder what you're doing for your recovery SN - can you add more things? more support? more changes to your lifestyle or how you deal with problems?

whats your plan to stay siober look like?
D
Old 04-10-2017, 03:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Don't be discouraged. But do realise the power is within you to stop drinking and stay sober.

What you have is a deadly affliction. Take it very seriously. Use all the resources at your disposal. Including the PLAN. Having a recovery plan was the difference for me. I wrote it down, I thought about it, I strategised and came up with ideas to stop my triggers and temptations.

If it wasn't for SR and the advice here to make a PLAN, I am sure I would have fallen back into drinking.

And please don't worry, no-one here is sick of you. We're in this together.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

never give up giving up

one day you will succeed
Old 04-10-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I personally want you to come back as often as you can.

A few suggestions:
1. Make a plan and stick to it
2. Don't drink
3. Get sober friends and do what they do
4. Post here before drinking next time.

We are all in this together and no one will give up on you. Please don't give up on yourself. You are worth the work trust us. You never have to feel like you do now ever again.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberNunn View Post
Thanks for your kindness. Until now my plan has just been "don't drink". That isn't enough
It wasn't enough for me! Not till I was completely DONE drinking - and I got to a point where I was very, VERY sick- and chose to start AA did my life change and recovery begin.

There are lots of ways to work a plan - I'd suggest just starting (often AA is the easiest first choice because it is available and free) and make it happen today. I did about 82 meetings in my first 90 days as part of my starting-to-heal routine. Then I really started working my recovery program. Whatever you choose, I believe that most of us who maintain any time in sobriety (I am at 413 days) feel working a program consistently is key.

You can do it. Starting today, if you choose to do so. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I found the need to change up my routine and to reintroduce some old healthy habits back into my daily life. That filled up the gaps that were my "drinkin time" which got to be all day but that's another story.

I found that I personally could not keep my old routine and just simply not drink. As the old saying goes "If you hang around the barbershop all the time, sooner or later you're gonna get a haircut"

I kept myself so busy that there was no time to drink. And yes, it was tough.
Keep knocking on the door, it'll open..
Old 04-10-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by SoberNunn View Post
Time to make a plan.
Way to end your post on a high note.

The subject line of your post is pure rubbish. No one posting on these forums is failing. The failures are in the cemetery. The people on this forum are succeeding, learning, or both.