SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I am Scummybear (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/407590-i-am-scummybear.html)

MissOverIt 07-23-2020 09:09 PM

Welcome back and I love the name! 🤢🐻💗

EndGameNYC 07-23-2020 11:02 PM

I might start by changing my screen name. Seriously.

It isn't going to give you confidence and is unlikely to help you in any significant way.

This is what people talk about when they say things like, "It's the little things." Someone made that up for a reason.

One of the strongest predictors of a relapse is to attack ourselves for the lives we've lived, for every horrible and hurtful thing we've ever done. A lot of us do it too much of the time when we first get sober; some of us need additional care for longer periods of time.

If I spend time reminding myself just how much I hate myself, I might stay that way for a longer time than I intended. Looking back, all I remember about that time is that it was very painful.

scummybear 07-24-2020 06:46 PM

Hey all,
Thanks again for your warm welcome
it gives me confidence

scummybear 07-24-2020 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC (Post 7482486)
I might start by changing my screen name. Seriously.

It isn't going to give you confidence and is unlikely to help you in any significant way.

This is what people talk about when they say things like, "It's the little things." Someone made that up for a reason.

One of the strongest predictors of a relapse is to attack ourselves for the lives we've lived, for every horrible and hurtful thing we've ever done. A lot of us do it too much of the time when we first get sober; some of us need additional care for longer periods of time.

If I spend time reminding myself just how much I hate myself, I might stay that way for a longer time than I intended. Looking back, all I remember about that time is that it was very painful.

Uh
thanks?

scummybear 07-24-2020 06:50 PM

It’s just a name
I don’t think it had bearing on why I’m here
but whatever

Obladi 07-24-2020 07:00 PM

There is enormous power in words, especially in the words we use to describe ourselves.
"Whatever" is dismissive of the person who offers their sincere caring input.

I'm glad you're here and feeling confident!
Stick around - it gets better. :)

scummybear 07-24-2020 07:01 PM

Wow
confronted right off the bat-
awesome

Dee74 07-25-2020 12:16 AM

Seems like a good time to remind folks that you can use the ignore function any time you like.

These are high pressure days for most of us with no end in sight right now - a little compassion and understanding goes a long way :240:

D

Delilah1 07-25-2020 12:20 AM

Welcome back!

MaximusD 07-25-2020 01:18 PM

Scummybear, NYC does have a point though although it depends on why you picked your screen name. If it is a put down to yourself or how you feel about yourself then seeing it over and over again might be a bad idea. Plus to shorten it we have to call you scummy! :) If you didn't pick it to put yourself down then no big deal and if you feel it is no big deal then also, no big deal. :)

Reid82 07-26-2020 02:59 AM

Welcome back.