Notices

Damn you, Facebook

Old 04-09-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Damn you, Facebook

You are like a nagging girlfriend, "Remember when you were drunk and said...?" No, but I'm sure I'm going to be reminded next time I log in and see "... responded to your post." Oh, hell. What did I say? Oh, yeah.

Now, I'm on day 4 after multiple relapses over the past month or so. My ex-fiancee just got married to a really charming guy (At least I guess he is. Registered for life as a sex offender for raping a 4-year-old boy. It isn't so bad, he DID serve all of two years). Not that I still have feelings for that b!+c#, but it doesn't reflect well on me I was going to wife her.

Took in this homeless guy I knew for a year. He just got promoted to 3rd key at local store so I figured I'd help him out. He brought all this crap to my place (pictures of his deceased father, stuff his mom made for him, a great cell phone) then bounced after not paying rent. I texted him ten times to find out when he was going to pay and he blew me off. Again, doesn't reflect well on me.

I've noticed that, as I get older, the time to physically recover gets longer. I now have two-day hangovers where I just sleep. I can't do this anymore and, historically, AA/NA hasn't helped (I did do the work, just it didn't work for me).

But yeah, seeing some of the stuff that I post when drunk isn't what I would post sober... it's time to change.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Awesome decision and commitment to change. You have got this.

What are the next 5 steps that you are going to take in order to facilitate that change and ensure that a relapse never happens again?
Old 04-09-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

5? Wow, that's a lot haha.

I am starting to meditate to just observe the cravings without acting on them. I'm reading more recovery-related literature and posting on places like here. Also, I'm trying to redefine my relationship with my HP as to get into a community of like-minded people. 4 and 5, I still don't know yet.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey RebelJedi,

If you ever listen to podcasts, might I suggest the 'Recovery Elevator" podcast as a small addition to your recovery arsenal. Each "episode" has a guy that's been sober about 2.5 years talking about various aspects of recovery, then an interview with real people who are at various stages of recovery, from 2 weeks to 10 years. I really like it. Available on iTunes, probably elsewhere if you have another kind of phone.

Just a suggestion man. Best of luck to you. It's tough, no doubt about it, but you can do it.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

Ever tried AVRT?
Old 04-11-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

What's AVRT?
Old 04-11-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

AVRT = Addictive Voice Recognition Technique. It's the method/technique used in the Rational Recovery method. Lots of folks use it here, and it is discussed both here in newcomers as well as in the secular forum if you would like to learn more.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Addictive Voice Recognition Technique.

There is lots of information on AVRT in the Secular Forum:

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 04-11-2017, 12:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RebelJedi View Post
5? Wow, that's a lot haha.
Ha ha. That made me laugh Rebel (laughing with you - not at you of course).

One step at a time mate.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are like a nagging girlfriend, "Remember when you were drunk and said...?" No, but I'm sure I'm going to be reminded next time I log in and see "... responded to your post." Oh, hell. What did I say? Oh, yeah.

Now, I'm on day 4 after multiple relapses over the past month or so. My ex-fiancee just got married to a really charming guy (At least I guess he is. Registered for life as a sex offender for raping a 4-year-old boy. It isn't so bad, he DID serve all of two years). Not that I still have feelings for that b!+c#, but it doesn't reflect well on me I was going to wife her.

Took in this homeless guy I knew for a year. He just got promoted to 3rd key at local store so I figured I'd help him out. He brought all this crap to my place (pictures of his deceased father, stuff his mom made for him, a great cell phone) then bounced after not paying rent. I texted him ten times to find out when he was going to pay and he blew me off. Again, doesn't reflect well on me.

I've noticed that, as I get older, the time to physically recover gets longer. I now have two-day hangovers where I just sleep. I can't do this anymore and, historically, AA/NA hasn't helped (I did do the work, just it didn't work for me).

But yeah, seeing some of the stuff that I post when drunk isn't what I would post sober... it's time to change.
I deactivated my Facebook account years ago. We started a company and I didn't want to deal with employees wanting to friend me...then have them see my drunken posts...ugh!

Instead, I was texting our managers at all hours of the night...really embarrassing! I just hated waking up the next morning and reading the messages I sent. Sometimes I couldn't look at them until after I'd had a couple drinks....CRAZY!!!

Congrats on your recommitment to sobriety!
Old 04-11-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

o_0

My propensity to make an absolute idiot out of myself is also one of the reasons I stopped drinking. I also went back through my Activity Log and deleted everything posted by me before March of this year and everything posted by me during my last relapse.

I can't ever undo messages to people and apologizing is a waste of time because I did it so much when I was still drinking. But at least I'm now fully aware of my actions and behavior. And guess what? In the last 30 days, I haven't made a drunken fool out of myself

One day at a time. Your sobriety is more important than anyone's opinion of you. Relationships that are based on trust, friendship, happiness, etc will come back with time.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Being Sober is Awesome

What's AVRT?
What they said above^^^. Worth checking out.