Notices

Not sure where to post this

Old 04-08-2017, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure where to post this

Can I get a restraining order on a person that I live with? My mother. She is verbally abusive in front of my children, cussing and yelling constantly, but not hitting anyone. I don't see how I will sustain my sobriety around her, it's just so stressful and I'm new in recovery and don't have all my ducks in a row yet.
We are on every list possible for housing, and I also work and could pay rent. I just don't make 3 times what the rent is and that is required most places.
I'm just gonna start applying to every apartment building in my town and see if I can get someone to rent to me. I have no criminal background or evictions. I have good renting history, but no references in the past few years because I lived with family.
I'm fed up with my living situation here. My parents are extremely controlling. They say as long as we are in their house, they have control of me and my kids. I'm done.
Advice please?
Old 04-08-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that moving out is your best option. You are the person who should make decisions about your children. I don't know about a restraining order, but I would definitely check out Women's shelters in your area. This is a very disturbing environment for your children to be living in. Verbal abuse is abuse.
Make use of the following resources, even if it just to get information and support:

National Domestic Abuse Hotline (US):

The National Domestic Violence Hotline | Abuse Defined

The National Domestic Violence Hotline | 24/7 Confidential Support (US)
Old 04-08-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, Anna. I will call when nobody is around. We have to get out of this situation. I just want us to live happy lives, instead of being around people who are miserable in theirs and taking it out on us.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can get your own place so you can have some peace of mind.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If she is the legal owner of the home, you are in a tough spot. I hope you are able to find difference living conditions.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sorry about what you're going through, bronzie. Seems like there's been a lot being talked about here by women who have trouble mums. It's unfortunate and sad. While my own mother is as gentle as a dove most of the time, she is an alcoholic (in recovery now) and also schizophrenic. So when she has one of her episodes she does tend to be a mumzilla too. But at least us kids know that she has a genuine mental issue and try our best to be understanding. I hope you can get yourself and your kids out of that toxic environment soon. Also, stay sober.
Old 04-08-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I'm going to try and stay sober today and make it thru the weekend.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Forget the restraining order thing. I would start by contacting your local governmental agency that deals with low income housing or low income financial assistance. They can possibly assist you with finding housing and may be able to provide financial assistance and counseling, etc., If you don't qualify they probably can recommend other services. The main thing to remember is that you're not alone. There are plenty of resources out there to help you especially since you have children. Also, things will get better, but certainly not if you drink. Stay sober and you will certainly get through this tough time!
Old 04-08-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can find a better place for you to live Bronzie

D
Old 04-08-2017, 03:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

drinking won't solve the situation. your sobriety has to be absolutely solid if you are planning to move out on your own. life is always going to have some difficulty, frustrations, unpleasant people, unwelcome circumstances. staying sober NOW lays the groundwork.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Absolutely. I want to have 3 months sobriety by my birthday, which is in July. If I can do that, I will have a good solid foundation and start learning how to live sober and healthy, while dealing with life's uncertainties. Thanks everyone! I'm sober right now, and I have enjoyed spending time outdoors with by daughter this afternoon!