SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day1/Day7 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/407529-day1-day7.html)

TheClaw 04-08-2017 05:54 AM

Day1/Day7

Day 1 on SR. Day 7 sober.

A week ago we were in Mexico trying to have a nice spring break vacation. On Saturday I started with the tequila for breakfast (unusual for me), drank on and off most of the day and by the time we were out for dinner I was a raging ass hole to my wife and teenage kids. Sunday morning my wife told me when we get back she wants me to move out.

I’ve been a heavy drinker most of my adult life. 6 or 7 years ago it got to a point my wife dragged me around to different treatment centers but none of them felt right. At that point I went to a High Priced Shrink (HPS) in the city. He told me you can’t go cold turkey and do it yourself. At which point I said “(expletive deleted) Just watch me!”. And I did. I didn’t drink for almost 3 years. During that time I had a couple of wrenching career turnovers, in the middle from one job to another (I was doing pretty well $) I decided I was done not drinking, “Why me? Why do I have to NOT DRINK? I turned to goto get buzzed fast cheap 99c schnapps. At first it was just a couple, then 3 to 4, then 3-4 with a 9% beer. You see where this is going.

I was downsized again, made a career change and bought a business. I am working my arse off making 1/3 of what I used to. We are selling our house and downsizing before the kids go to college. Stress is off the charts. My drinking did not help.

Then our trip. I told her we couldn’t afford for me to move out. I apologized to the kids and confessed to being an alcoholic. That was Day 1.

Day 7, here I am. The headaches won’t go away.

I have a lot to say and I’m hoping to contribute as we go along.

RetiredGuy 04-08-2017 06:17 AM

Welcome to SR!

I found these forums on my Day 10 and the people here have really offered a lot of support. So much so, I don't ever want another Day 1!

I think you will find the same.

doggonecarl 04-08-2017 06:32 AM

Welcome.

You've tried not drinking. Did abstinence work? On this go around, try recovery. Embrace a sober life.

vanaprastha 04-08-2017 06:32 AM

Welcome to SR. You may think the headaches won't go away, but they will.

Some things that helped me in my early sobriety:

Join the monthly class. You will get support from other people starting their sobriety. Here is a link to the April 2017 class: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-one.html

Post every day in the 24 hour support thread. This helps me commit every day. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-228-a.html

You can do this.

Soberwolf 04-08-2017 06:48 AM

Nice to meet you grats on day 7

HTown 04-08-2017 07:03 AM

Grab some type of support system and do not let go. Post here often. You gotta do this or you will just continue to spiral downward. Good luck

Meraviglioso 04-08-2017 07:11 AM

Hello and welcome. You know you have what it takes to stop, what will help you stay stopped this time?

TheClaw 04-08-2017 09:13 AM

Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 6401994)
Welcome.

You've tried not drinking. Did abstinence work? On this go around, try recovery. Embrace a sober life.

Doggone....What's the difference? Either you're drinking or not, no?

Originally Posted by vanaprastha (Post 6401995)
Welcome to SR. You may think the headaches won't go away, but they will.

Some things that helped me in my early sobriety:

Join the monthly class. You will get support from other people starting their sobriety. Here is a link to the April 2017 class:

Post every day in the 24 hour support thread. This helps me commit every day.

You can do this.

I will definitely check those out. Thank you.

Lava256 04-08-2017 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by FixItDad (Post 6402131)
Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Doggone....What's the difference? Either you're drinking or not, no?

I will definitely check those out. Thank you.

Welcome to SR! I apologize if I get this wrong but I think what doggone means is that while abstinence may seem more like restraint or punitive, sobriety is the opposite. When you embrace sobriety you decide to live a completely different life from how you lived previously. Your thinking changes. With sobriety, there's no chance (or very slim) that you'll 'rebel' and even think of, much less want to go back to drinking. It's a complete mind change and very freeing.

D122y 04-08-2017 09:44 AM

Fix,

3 years clean is amazing and proves addiction is for life.

Fear booze, it is not to be toyed w for people like us.

When the booze is flowing around me I smile knowingly remembering my hellish recovery and pathetic drunken lifestyle.

Stay clean like your life depends on it.

Thanks.

thomas11 04-08-2017 12:38 PM

Welcome to SR fixitdad, sorry for what brings you here, but glad you are here nonetheless. I found that when I was stressed out and I got drunk, it was usually not good. It sounds like stress may have contributed to your behavior. You've had more sober time than me so I have no advice, I just wish you well and its nice to meet you.

Dee74 04-08-2017 03:14 PM

Welcome FixitDad :)

D

PurpleKnight 04-09-2017 08:19 AM

Welcome to the Forum FixItDad!! :wave: