Notices

sleep aid

Old 04-10-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

To clarify they can recommend over the counter solutions not requiring a prescription. But they are experts in pharmacology.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It takes a while. I was awake from 3am on no matter what time I went to sleep for the first 6 months or so. I would advise against using any sort of sleep aid. Cutting back on, or cutting out, caffeine completely also helps. Excercise is good. Creating a calming environment - like others said - taking a hot shower, clean sheets, a nice scented air diffuser, draw the curtains, read a book (or if you have limited attention span like I did - flipping through people mag and looking at the pics) also helps. Your body has been through a lot and your nervous system will take a while to heal. This is completely normal. Just give yourself a lot of grace and let your body adjust and heal. It is not an overnight (no pun intended haha) matter. Big hugs.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I started using a white noise machine a few years ago to help with my insomnia. Best investment ever.
Old 04-10-2017, 05:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jwc1 View Post
Thanks for the advice!!!! I am looking into meditation!!!!
Avoid "exciting" or violent or horror TV prior to bed time. If you do sleep you might also have nightmares, your brain taking up where you left off.
Get a really boring book and read it if you can't sleep. Your brain may put you to sleep in order to avoid the boredom. I recall a judge who said that a particular prestigious law review always put him to sleep. Get a CD with Buddhist chanting ("Om mani padme hummmmmm....!")
Soothing TV, boring book. Avoid caffeine in the afternoon, particularly late afternoon,. Never use alcohol as a sedative. Never use alcohol. Get a good doctor, a good one who won't prescribe habit forming drugs. I had two that did.
Exercise, a cat to purr in your ear. A noisemaker to make "white" noise.

W.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eastcoaster20 View Post
I started using a white noise machine a few years ago to help with my insomnia. Best investment ever.
Ive got a fan that has a very slight hum,,,,will try that!!!! Thank you!!!!!
Old 04-10-2017, 09:05 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Avoid "exciting" or violent or horror TV prior to bed time. If you do sleep you might also have nightmares, your brain taking up where you left off.
Get a really boring book and read it if you can't sleep. Your brain may put you to sleep in order to avoid the boredom. I recall a judge who said that a particular prestigious law review always put him to sleep. Get a CD with Buddhist chanting ("Om mani padme hummmmmm....!")
Soothing TV, boring book. Avoid caffeine in the afternoon, particularly late afternoon,. Never use alcohol as a sedative. Never use alcohol. Get a good doctor, a good one who won't prescribe habit forming drugs. I had two that did.
Exercise, a cat to purr in your ear. A noisemaker to make "white" noise.

W.
Very helpful advice!!!! Thanks much!!!!
Old 04-10-2017, 09:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ive got a fan that has a very slight hum,,,,will try that!!!! Thank you!!!!!
Hope that works for you, jwc - the fan works like a charm for me most nights.

Turning the heat down at night can also be helpful.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Double up on Cats

Maybe you need two cats. One to purr in each ear and a puppy to warm your toes. Sounds very much like you're going through what I did when I first quit for good back in 1988. If it's anything like that with you it should get better real soon, the sleeping, the appetite, the nerves, the whole bit. Then stick with it and you'll find real relief. The key for me was to get help from others in recovery, whether through AA or some other way. There's Smart Recovery and several other alternatives. It works better to do it with others. At least that's what I found. Good luck.

Bill

Very helpful advice!!!! Thanks much!!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 03:45 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Maybe you need two cats. One to purr in each ear and a puppy to warm your toes. Sounds very much like you're going through what I did when I first quit for good back in 1988. If it's anything like that with you it should get better real soon, the sleeping, the appetite, the nerves, the whole bit. Then stick with it and you'll find real relief. The key for me was to get help from others in recovery, whether through AA or some other way. There's Smart Recovery and several other alternatives. It works better to do it with others. At least that's what I found. Good luck.

Bill
Walking my dog has been very very helpful!!!! Thanks for the advice!!!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 05:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Walking my dog has been very very helpful!!!! Thanks for the advice!!!!!
My dog likes to get on the bed, come up close and look me right in the eyes. He's got the best bedside manner of any doctor I ever had. Instant diagnosis. Doesn't overbill Medicare.

Bill.
Old 04-11-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My dog likes to get on the bed, come up close and look me right in the eyes. He's got the best bedside manner of any doctor I ever had. Instant diagnosis. Doesn't overbill Medicare.

Bill.
My dog sleeps with me,,,,my security blanket!!!! Cover diver!!!! Lol
Old 04-11-2017, 03:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

My dog sleeps with me,,,,my security blanket!!!! Cover diver!!!! Lol
I'm simply delighted to hear that. 90 percent of medical care is bedside manner and another 90 percent is making sure you have a fur covered physician. 180 percent may seem like overdoing but getting a good recovery going is serious business!

Bill
Old 04-11-2017, 08:28 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm simply delighted to hear that. 90 percent of medical care is bedside manner and another 90 percent is making sure you have a fur covered physician. 180 percent may seem like overdoing but getting a good recovery going is serious business!

Bill
Yeah,,,,my fur covered buddy is a great help to me!!!! Thanks!!!
Old 04-11-2017, 11:17 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

A lot of good suggestions here. I'd also add that when I had insomnia at night I would sneak naps in whenever I could (napped when waiting for kid at sports activity, tutoring, train home from work). Even though I had a hard time sleeping at night I usually fell asleep for these naps easily. This is the same strategy they told me when I had a newborn and got no sleep at night.

I would seriously avoid any sleep aid other than something natural, such as chamomile tea. You don't want to substutute one crutch for another. At the end of the day your body needs to flush the poisons out of your system and recalibrate itself back to normal.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:45 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frank14 View Post
A lot of good suggestions here. I'd also add that when I had insomnia at night I would sneak naps in whenever I could (napped when waiting for kid at sports activity, tutoring, train home from work). Even though I had a hard time sleeping at night I usually fell asleep for these naps easily. This is the same strategy they told me when I had a newborn and got no sleep at night.

I would seriously avoid any sleep aid other than something natural, such as chamomile tea. You don't want to substutute one crutch for another. At the end of the day your body needs to flush the poisons out of your system and recalibrate itself back to normal.
Will give tea a try!!!! Thank you much for the advice!!!!
Old 04-12-2017, 05:02 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frank14 View Post

It's interesting and a little mind boggling how the body readapts to the absence of alcohol (after previously having "adapted" to its presence!). In some ways it's like a computer with a self correcting system, rebooting itself and returning to a default mode. It takes time for it to do this and all the while a more primitive part of the brain (the "beast? or "AV") is fighting off the rehabilitation and trying to maintain the alcoholic status quo. This is what makes recovery such a challenge and requires that one get all the help available, such as (first and foremost) other alcoholics further on in successful recovery, physicians, counselors, exercise, determination, grit, stamina, whatever it takes. Good luck

W.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:26 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

It's interesting and a little mind boggling how the body readapts to the absence of alcohol (after previously having "adapted" to its presence!). In some ways it's like a computer with a self correcting system, rebooting itself and returning to a default mode. It takes time for it to do this and all the while a more primitive part of the brain (the "beast? or "AV") is fighting off the rehabilitation and trying to maintain the alcoholic status quo. This is what makes recovery such a challenge and requires that one get all the help available, such as (first and foremost) other alcoholics further on in successful recovery, physicians, counselors, exercise, determination, grit, stamina, whatever it takes. Good luck

W.
Thank you!!!!!