Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Day 6 + Day 7 - Lurkers, quit lurking, register and make your first post. It will change your life.

Notices

Day 6 + Day 7 - Lurkers, quit lurking, register and make your first post. It will change your life.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Yesterday was day 6, today is Day 7.

About 10 months ago I registered to this forum and I made one post, and that was it. I was back in the cycle of drink. Every now and then I would log in and take a look but never engage.

Why? Because I wasn't ready to hold myself accountable. I was getting secondary gain from drinking - comfort, escapism, in some ways love from the turbulent highs and the lows and concern of those around me.

Part of me wanted to quit, so I lurked. Another part of me wanted to drink.

Seven days ago I screwed up and had a bottle of wine and four beers. I got drunk, I verbally lashed out at my partner and I made the call that enough was enough.

Since then I have committed myself to write in this group every day. Even if I don't feel I have anything to say I will post... to hold myself accountable. I have been honest and upfront with my partner who loves me dearly. Last night I had an honest conversation with my sister about what was going on and she was also honest with me and told me that if I ever felt as though I needed a drink then I should message her.

If I want to drink then I will message here too, BEFORE I drink.

Holding myself accountable to this group is absolutely the best thing I have ever done.

Lurkers, quit lurking, register and make your first post. It will change your life.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're putting in the effort to change your life to a sober one. I've been sober over 7 yrs now and don't regret it for a minute. My life is vastly better now.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Posting here and being a part of this community really helped me too - that's the way to do it Melbourne Help

D