Notices

Post here BEFORE you take a drink!!!

Old 04-06-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post here BEFORE you take a drink!!!

I slept for 6 hours straight and I feel rested this morning! If I start to feel those cravings and obsessive thoughts creeping up, I will post here FIRST! I think that's what I have learned most this time around, post BEFORE I take a drink. That is another tool to add to my coping skills. The weekend is getting closer, and this is when I really have to stay strong!
Old 04-06-2017, 07:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Fantastic new tool, bronzie.

SR is 24/7/365. I have never been here when there isn't someone here who cares and who truly wants to see you succeed.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Start putting together a to do list. Under each item list what you will need to complete that list I.E. tools, material, recipe items, etc...

Start planning where you need to go to gather these items or perhaps you already have them around.

Start off with the easiest one and get it done. Instant gratification like mowing the lawn where you can see the results of your effort immediately. Then move on to the next easiest. This is Pavlovian I know but we are animals too. It's the work / reward response that will release those happy feelings in the brain and give you the drive and the confidence to keep going and reinforcing the reality that you made a good decision to quit drinking.

Are all people from Oregon hippies or just most? Just joking!! We are dealing with such a serious subject we need to lighten it up from time to time. Keep it up Bronzie....
Old 04-06-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good one Bronzie, strength in unity
Old 04-06-2017, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There's the trick, bronzie
I found that the more I posted here before I drank, or the more I told on myself (or my AV) that those thoughts were there, the easier it became for me to recognize that I was walking down the road to drinking long before I picked up that first drink. And I worked at finding all kinds of ways to head it off at the pass. Communicating, no isolating and keeping busy were all very important to me.
It comes easier with practice, so keep it up!
Old 04-06-2017, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job Bronzie! I struggle with weekends as well...especially Friday afternoons. Even though I drank all week, I felt less guilty on the weekends...didn't everyone drink their weekends away?

As others have mentioned, having a plan helps. Even if it's something as simple as starting a new book, making a new recipe or going for a long walk...anything that will keep the mind off the old way of doing things.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is fantastic advice. It is something I need to do more of myself.
Having a daily plan, reading/posting here on SR if I am thinking of drinking.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

bump

D
Old 04-06-2017, 08:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank for the encouragement everyone! I really appreciate it.
Old 04-06-2017, 08:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alan6154 View Post
Are all people from Oregon hippies or just most? Just joking!! We are dealing with such a serious subject we need to lighten it up from time to time. Keep it up Bronzie....
Haha, not all of us, but most are a little on the hippie side, yes. Especially in the city (Portland), where I went to college, although I live back out in the country now.
Yes, I agree, keep it light sometimes because we have to laugh!

And yes, I have several to-do lists that seem never-ending, housework, a job, and a 3 year old who keeps me very busy! The life of a single mom, not much free time. But, I will definitely work on those to-do lists during my time off and weekends, instead of getting too overwhelmed and start drinking. I'll just take it one day and one task at a time. I agree the work/reward and sense of accomplishment is such a great feeling!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Fantastic thread Bronzie! I need to commit myself fully to posting before drinking, or buying booze. Our wise Dee has told me this many times. I love a thread to put it into action!
Old 04-07-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChickChick View Post
Fantastic thread Bronzie! I need to commit myself fully to posting before drinking, or buying booze. Our wise Dee has told me this many times. I love a thread to put it into action!
Me too ChickChick. It's such an important thing to remember. Then, if we forget what to do next, there will be someone here who can guide us. I'm so thankful for this forum!
Old 04-07-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Don't not drink alone is a rule that helped me early on.........stay plugged in
Old 04-07-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For sure a great statement. Stopping the trainwreck before it happens is significantly more helpful than trying to put it back together in the aftermath.
My AA meeting booklet has the same printed on the back "Call BEFORE you drink!" With numbers and lines to write down for people you can reach out to.
Old 04-07-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fridays are beer cart day at work...I shouldn't have too much of a problem, as beer was something I drank 20 years ago. Now if it were a Bacardi or Capt Cart, I'd be in trouble!!
Old 04-07-2017, 09:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CoffeeInstead View Post
Fridays are beer cart day at work...I shouldn't have too much of a problem, as beer was something I drank 20 years ago. Now if it were a Bacardi or Capt Cart, I'd be in trouble!!
Beer is my choice of beverage. I have to admit my mind got excited a bit ago when I heard it is national beer day.... how dumb is that?

Nope, not gonna drink today.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My beverage of choice today from the beer cart - Maine Root Ginger Brew!
Old 04-07-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hello weekenders.... I have done nothing (virtually)today but obsess about having a few beers tonight. It is driving me nuts. I have no intention to, nor will I drink, but in the other times I have stopped, this being day 8, this has never happened. Anyway, just wanted to write it out and see if that would help.....

edit: sorry, wrong thread... but i guess it applies here too. lol
Old 04-09-2017, 06:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by badger257 View Post
Hello weekenders.... I have done nothing (virtually)today but obsess about having a few beers tonight. It is driving me nuts. I have no intention to, nor will I drink, but in the other times I have stopped, this being day 8, this has never happened. Anyway, just wanted to write it out and see if that would help.....

edit: sorry, wrong thread... but i guess it applies here too. lol

I totally understand. That's how I have felt all day today, but I know it's the cravings and addictive voice trying to control my behavior.....and I am choosing not to let that happen. Writing it out definitely helps me as well.
Old 04-09-2017, 07:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

bump.

D