Notices

Talking to co-workers

Old 04-07-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
All is Change

I have to say I agree with you, greyghost. That is really what I wanted to say on this matter but couldn't put it as clearly as you have. It's their problem.
IMO not just that. If you have the courage to come out on this contrary to some opinions you are actually part of the solution to the stigma. By showing these select people what an alcoholic can do you can change their opinions.

I got stopped by the cops once for a breath test and when he asked if I'd been drinking I said 'no, I'm an alcoholic' he paused and said 'oh, you're sober. ok, have a good night'. That was cool.

Cheers.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

One word, or one contraction: don't.
Actions speak louder than words. Just be the guy who doesn't drink. No one needs to know why you've made this choice.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm proud of my recovery as well , but have learned that not all normies appreciate quite what is involved. Other normies might have had negative and traumatising experiences of their own that can make them pretty unsympathetic to alcoholics (active or in recovery ).I've also learned that some bosses can be a-holes, and that sometimes it's best to get to know people before entrusting them with personal information they don't need to know.

You don't need to be disappointed. You asked what our personal thoughts were and people have told ya. The nice thing about advice is that it's a gift that you're free to do with as you wish.

In thinking about this situation a memory popped up for me... When I was little I did a lot of dancing but was very stiff jointed. All the other girls could do the splits easily, but I seemed like one of those old fashioned wooden clothes pegs, and I couldn't do it. Anyway, I was determined to be able to do it for my dance exam, so I worked really hard for months and months at stretching so I could do it as well. One morning WOOHOO! I did it! I ran to school eager to show my form teacher. I was sure she'd be happy for me and proud for my achievement after all that pain and effort. But she just glared at me down on the floor beaming and told me to "get up and for God's sake stop showing off!" with a face like thunder. Not only did it take the shine off my achievement for me, it also tarnished the trust that I'd had in her for the rest of that year, and I was glad when I could change teachers. I should have saved it for my dance teacher, who would have been really pleased for me and commended my efforts. I don't think I even showed her though, because I was still smarting at the accusation of being a show-off.

Anyway. Whatever you decide, I hope it works out well, with your new boss and all.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 04-07-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If that is how you feel, greyghost, then go for it. As Berrybean said, the good thing about advice is you can take it or not, as you choose.
I guess that I have had too many sub-par, untrustworthy bosses.
As the Russian spy guy (can't remember his name at the moment) said in "Bridge of Spies", now a favorite movie of mine, "The boss may be right or he may be wrong, but the boss is still the boss."
That mirrors my thinking about bosses. Peace.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grayghost1965 View Post
but I'm proud of my recovery and if my new boss has a problem with it, that's his problem.
he's your boss. if he has a problem with it, you could also have a problem with it.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm never late and have never called off, even when drinking - I'm kind of disappointed by the responses, but that's life.
Usually the best advice is the advice we don't want to hear.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Not just in a situation like this one, but in most situations in my life, I define myself by what I can do, not by what I can not do. So I cant drink. I mean I can, I just dont have the capacity to stop after I start, so I dont. That does not define the real me. I have hundreds of other attributes that do.

My say is to let your new boss get to know you first by your achievements and what you are capable of doing in your work, not your personal life.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:21 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I agree with those saying NOT to tell your coworkers or boss. They will probably not see it the same way you do. Even my own husband, who has been educated in depression and alcoholism including attending a 10 week NAMI class on mental illness for my benefit still has trouble understanding. I asked him once about a month ago if he thinks I am weak because I suffer from depression and drinking problems. He said yes. I wanted to laugh in his face because he has never faced hardships like those. Must be nice. I think I am pretty damn strong all considering. I have had (at times crippling) depression for 16 years, since age 20. PPD led to my increased drinking in the last 5 yrs ten-fold.

At one point I told a boss about my depression, way more widely accepted than alcoholism, and was treated very differently, etc. Lesson learned. No way in hell anyone outside my immediate trust circle will know about my drinking troubles. Ever. IMO don't broadcast your disease/medical condition. Companies spout off PC BS about not discriminating, but that is bull I think. Protect yourself in this day and age when job stability is low.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not asking to be a snowflake or whatever else, but I believe in being honest, if it comes up. Being an alcoholic is not something to be ashamed of, and I'm proud of my recovery efforts thus far. I'm sorry, Dee74, if you've had negative experiences, but I'm proud of my recovery and if my new boss has a problem with it, that's his problem.
just sharing my experiences and talking about myself GG.
Sorry if you thought I was impugning you - not the case.

I'm not ashamed of my alcoholism either - but the truth (for me) is, away from SR I don't need to wear it like a badge either...that would get real old real quick for my friends and loved ones

You're clearly a different personality to me, you've clearly made your decision, so good for you.

D