Notices

When will I feel better?

Old 10-14-2004, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Unhappy When will I feel better?

Hi everyone. My first day sober. When will the crying stop? When will I feel better? I've been crying for the last hour and a half and I don't even know what I'm crying for. I can't seem to stop. I'm eating everything in sight. My body is aching and my sinuses are horrible. My body feels weak right now. How long will it take before the tears stop and my body feels better?

Thanks for the support!!
Love, Dixie

Old 10-14-2004, 07:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

(((dixielove)))

Think of alcohol as poison to your system. It will take the body time to readjust from the effects of alcohol. Everyone is different and the amount of alcohol you've ingested and for how long...it's all a factor. A quesstamite, up to ten days. After the first 3 you should begin to feel better. Remember, this is just a general quess. I'll find a link about detox that you may find helpful. I'll post it as soon as I find one.

LeAnne
Old 10-14-2004, 07:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hey Dixie--Hang in there, honey. It will get better. If you are anything like me, you spent a lot of time drowning your emotions with drink and now they are trying to get out. I cried a lot in my first few months sober, but the first couple of days were definitely the worst. No matter what, don't drink! It will not make things better. Especially not now that you have admitted to yourself that you have a problem and decided to do something about it. Have you thought about seeking out some kind of recovery program? I go to AA and it has been a miracle in my life. If you have any questions about it, let me know.

Hugs--
Old 10-14-2004, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

(((dixielove)))

Here is a link that covers alcohol withdrawal from a medical stand point. It explains alcohol withdrawal syndrome.

http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/alerts/l/blnaa05.htm

As Laura mention, a recovery program would be a good idea. You are now dealing with the physical and emotional effects of alcohol. The physical effects will taper off, but the emotional effects will more than likely remain. Adjusting to life in a sober light is can be a difficult task. AA can help you deal with any problems you have as you face life sober.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Dix , This may not be much of a consulation, but (this to shall pass). one day at a time .my sponsor once told me that, the more I'd cry then the less I'd (pee) smile!! the crying is like our grieving process that a lot of us sometime go through the ending of a very close relationship with something that in the beginning bought us so much joy, comfort, peace, relaxation, sexuality false-pride ,and we thought that it was our only true friend, and companion. Because of the way it made us fill, But as we continue to cry, (GOD) allows some clarity , and then we begin to realize the insanity of it all. we see that the more we dranked to fill Heavenly, that we ended up filling just like Hell . And the more we dranked for the sense of freedom, the more in the end had we became enslaved.we thought that we had to drink in order to live, But reality shows us that if we continue to drink that we only invites DEATH. So Dixie go right ahead , and let the tears fall were they may, Honey not only is it a cleansing taking place in your body, mind, and spirit. But it also allows you to water the blossoming flowers of the Soul. We've all had our times of crying, and none of us are really done , But remember this that the bitter tears in the end are very, very , sweet. through sharing your pain , and your (experience, strenght, and hope) with others lett them know that it's not were we've been , but were we're going. And that it doesn't matter what you've gone through just know, and remember that your (GOD) bought you through one day at a time.so hang-in and don't hang-out. Beloved p.s KEEP COMIN BACK many are called ,but few are chosen , which one are you. Love to the end my new found-friend.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It takes a while. That surprised me so much when I gave up drinking 13 years ago. A year or so passed and I finally said, "this is GREAT!". But it took a long time. For me, I am starting again. Or, should I say, starting for the first time. I sucessfully stopped drinking and I'm very glad. I just kidded myself that drinking was the problem and continued dabbling in anything else I could find. This is a really bad idea. I also decided my AA meetings were a waste of time and for "weaker" people. I had too much to do --- work, marriage, children, etc. I have never been clean and sober for any length of time. I have to admit this and recognize that being sober is not the goal. Nor is being "clean and sober". Being clean and sober AND working a program is what I want to do. I'm so mad at myself for waiting this long. I realized this when my little son gave me a "double take" last night. The kind of look I gave my father for years. A look that looked once to express himself and then quickly back again to check the mood. Was she nice, normal, mad, you never know. I want to get clean and sober and working a program. Now. Help. I know it takes a long time and I know it is hard.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Meow!

Hey Dixie!!! Gosh I know whatcha going thru! I am a recoverying meth addict so you can just imagine!! But like Beloved had said...this too shall pass...and it will!!! Sometimes it gets worse before it can get better!
my prayers go out to you girl!
(((((((((((((((((((((dixie))))))))))))))))))
Old 10-18-2004, 06:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I really thank you guys for being here. and Dixielove! you asked when do you feel better? well honey misery is optional you know. and the pain is refunded at anytime. so surrender, and acceptance is the key with the desire to get better. taking a good look at self and knowing that it won't be easy , but it's worth it. And life is so much greater with you in it Dix, so one step at a time easy does it, keep it simple, tie a knot and hold-on help is available . this program takes action and you can do this just put one foot in front of the other, and stay on the jounery. knowing that your life is at stake here so you must keep-on pressing your way through this process of recovery. knowing that (GOD) has taken favuor on you and will never let you go. ( Beloved) P.S GOD 's strength is shown through your weakness. it is a good thing when the pain out weigh the pleasure, because we are beginnig to become human again. know that it's not the end of the world , but a great beginning.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Angela

Dixie:
Hi, Im new here just like you.. and Im experiensing the same things you are... but I think that if we stay together giving each other hope and advices we will all be over this sooner than what we think.. riht now the only thing I could say to u is to keep your self busy... This will mantain your mind thinking about something else and sometimes this will mke time pass by faster.. I don't know.. ind something u like to do.. like a sport or somethis and try dong it... And remember.. u are not here alone..!! Dont worry.. be strong and pry!!!
Angie
Old 10-19-2004, 09:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

:tri Hey Dix's it's me again sometime it's not always a good thing to put to much on your plate at this time. if you know what I mean, you don't want to get over-whelmed, or stressed-out to soon . this will take the focus off your recovery process, which is something you don't want to do. That will only work momentarily, than when your by yourself , with yourself, with the same unaddressed issues, that will still be there this is more then not just using your time , But learning to invest your time wisly so that it can be a benifit , to your personal, and spiritual growth. you see sometime when we don't know just what to do , step back and ask your higher power to step-up . for guidance, and direction, prayer works and also changes things. God's strengths, shows-up in your time of weakness through chance , choice , and change but you won't see that if at some point you don't stop , look , and then listen to that soft inner-voice inside (GOD) only speaks to those who take time to listen . you see (GOD) tells us to burden HIM!!! with what burdens us. you are in a spiritual program and you must know that (GOD'S) ability is not limited by your inability . So stay on the jounrey , you may not be were you want to be , BUT you 're not were you use to be . G0D'S Mercy, brought you here , but it's only by HIS amazing Grace that will keep you here. so don't you panic (GOD) HAS THIS THING UNDER CONTROL. Beloved
Old 10-19-2004, 09:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

if you did a search on the title of this post you would find many many who have asked the exact same question. We want to feel better right away, especially alcoholics and addicts, we hate to feel bad. But we used for many years and it takes time for the body to heal. You will feel better everyday but it will take time. It's ok to feel bad. It's just hard for us to sit in it because we're used to altering our mood or numbing it. Hang in there and grab onto the support from others in recovery and you'll be fine.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

How can one really create themselves when they are not the CREATOR , and how can one find themselves if they don't sit HIGH , AND LOOK LOW. we must remember that what we need is a desire , and the willingness to seek then only may we be found through a loving and caring GOD. this is not our world we are just really blessed to be in it. so as for the discomfort that you may be experiencing GOD, won't put more on you then you can bear it isn't for HIM to take away the discomfort ,or the pain , it is for us to surrender and become willing to endure ,and go through our go through trusting that there is a Blessing in the lesson. No pain , No gain! this is to rebuild what has been torn-down . As well as to realize what part we play in this picture, and HOW the ULTIMATE AUTHORITY's working IN your life. so its o.k that is a part of your restoration and recovering process the tears maybe painful, and bitter now . But giving all to GOD they will become very sweet , and you will count it all as JOY . So just remember this to shall pass you keep coming back! (Beloved ) you can't tell ,or help anyone get through if you're not willing to go through. and then tell somebody who brought you through one day at a time. allow GOD to be the foot prints in the sand.

Last edited by Beloved; 10-23-2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It got better for me as soon as I realized that these few days of hell are worth the rest of my life.

Just do something to take your mind off of it. Clean house, go for a walk, or come here and post or read messages. That has helped me considerably.

- Dave
Old 10-23-2004, 01:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It will pass. . .your body is cleansing itself of the toxins (we) you have injested over what sounds like a long period. Sleep and rest as much as you can, if you can't and have to live day to day (work, school) focus on what you have to do to keep productive in mind, body. . .then so uplifting your spirit.
It is up to your mind to set your body in motion. . .think that you can and you will. If you feel as though your barely holding on. . .ask God for guidance and it will come. But TRY to stay open to better possibilities.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

((((((((((Laurie)))))))))))) This is very normal. It takes a VERY long time for our bodies and minds to recover from the effects of alcohol. Do you have any outside support? I go to AA and it has been a lifesaver. Also, make sure you are getting lots of rest and are taking care of yourself. Get a little bit of exercise everyday, if you can. Most of all, be good to yourself. What you are doing is a very difficult, wearing process. It took time to cause the damage and it will take time to repair it. Each day you stay sober, the closer you are to feeling better.

Hang in there.......

Hugs--
Old 09-05-2005, 03:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes,...this is very very normal. It will go away, but, I dont want to scare you or anything, but it may take some time. Also, I dont know to what extent your drinking habits were.....ie, frequency, amounts.....but, if it was ALOT, then you may want to get to the hospital to detox. I drank ALOT. When I quit, it was three days into being dry when I got hit by withdrawl HARD. Shakes, seeing things, major ....and I mean MAJOR anxiety attacks, delirium tremens, hearing things. My heart stopped for 45 seconds in the ER. Im only telling you this to warn you. Alcohol withdrawl is the deadliest of all withdrawls. 1 out of 33 people die from alcohol withdrawl if not medically treated. If you start to get the "skin crawls" then thats a good sign that you dont want to be alone for the next day or two. Be careful. God Bless.....
Old 09-05-2005, 03:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Hi and welcome to SR, you found the BEST place. It will pass and you will feel better, meanwhile you have us to talk too.

nogard
Old 09-05-2005, 04:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Is there a time warp here

Dixie posted this back in OCT.

Where did this come from??