Notices

Got a response from my doctor's office

Old 04-03-2017, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got a response from my doctor's office

I sent an email early this morning and finally admitted my drinking problem to my family doctor. I asked for help, said I haven't been able to quit on my own, and she had a social worker contact me on the phone. So I talked with the social worker for a little bit and I was honest about the amount and how often I had been drinking.

She just told me to watch for tremors (nothing yet, just shaky hands), or any vomiting or stomach pains that won't go away. I'm at about 24 hours sober now, So I think I'm in the clear as far as detoxing goes. No need for a hospital or anti-anxiety meds (hopefully).

She also said my doctor wanted me to make an appt to talk about medications. The 2 that are covered by my insurance are Campral and Naltrexone.
Any one have/had experience using these for getting and staying sober?

I don't think I'll need any anti-anxiety medicine. My appt is this Wednesday morning, so I think I'll be over the withdrawals by then. Mostly just feeling anxiety and fatigue at this point. I'm returning to work tomorrow at 11am, so hopefully I can get some good, restful sleep tonight. I just want to feel good, have more energy and learn to love myself.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let us know how you get on Bronzie

D
Old 04-03-2017, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Let us know how you get on Bronzie

D
I definitely will. Everyone here has really helped me (again) thru this hard time. Thank you all. I'm not going anywhere. I will be here reading and posting, except for when I'm working, but I will check in on my breaks. Will let y'all know how doc appt goes on Wednesday.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Meow

I took Campral. It helped me a lot - kinda smoothed things out while I got used to the changes in my habits.

Good luck.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's great that you reached out to your doc about things. I think getting on a regular schedule with the therapist would also be very helpful.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great progress telling the Doctor. I think it's a real indication of wanting to change.

You can do this.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I would have replied sooner, but I was sleeping (finally). I am starting to feel more and more hopeful and positive about really making it stick this time. I can't keep on damaging my body and my relationships, wasting time that could be spent really enjoying life!
Old 04-04-2017, 06:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Old 04-04-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventurer

The biggest step I took in my recovery was being honest with myself and my dr. From there I was able to get the help I so badly was avoiding. Good luck
Old 04-04-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bronzie, I'm glad you're starting to feel better and that you have an appointment with your dr.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You've made a great step, Bronzie! Good going.
I'm currently using Campral. I've been on it for a couple months and haven't had any side effects or anything. Not sure how much it's actually helping me along with not drinking, but overall my cravings were quite minimal by my 2nd week of sobriety. Not sure if that's all due to the meds or not, but I'm sure it's at least helping me in some way.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Bronzie. I'm glad you've managed to get some rest, and that the email to the doctors was fruitful. Let us know how you get on. How are you feeling now?

BB
Old 04-04-2017, 11:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

They made a movie about naltrexone. A friend told me about it but I haven't seen it nor have I been prescribed it. The movie (documentary) is called "One Little Pill".
Old 04-04-2017, 02:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

I am doing well today. I'm back at work. I have not drank, and my day is going pretty good so far. Although, to be honest, I had thoughts of drinking later, and I had to push those aside. Not later today, necessarily, just "later."

Alan, thanks for letting me know about the movie. I'll have to check that out. I plan on doing some more research tonight and working more on my plan.