Notices

My first post

Old 04-03-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question My first post

Hello all,

I've been in a funk since around mid-February, when I decided to start drinking again after an almost completely dry January. I've begun the process of taking advantage of my employer's assistance program, and I've started working through some issues that have been lingering for most of my adulthood.

I told my therapist that I was committed to quit drinking. He pointed out that people need a support system when they're making this change. I find myself, not for the first time, turning to the forums on this website in the hopes that I can connect with some who have been through these struggles with alcohol.

I think that I have turned to drinking to deal with feelings of loneliness and isolation. The irony of turning to a solitary occupation to cope with such an issue is not lost on me.

I'm ready to do this, but it would be great to have some people to talk to. I'm not religious, but I have a good network of friends. What I'm lacking is people that I can trust and relate to when it comes to this challenge. It's my hope that the companionship and anonymity of this site will help me in the weeks to come.

Thanks for reading,
ashadeofblue
Old 04-03-2017, 07:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome ashadeofblue!!! You have found an amazing place for support, and to connect with people that can relate to you. Most of us have been exactly where you are at, and it sounds like you are really motivated to get free of the alcohol. Maybe take a look at joining the Class of April 2017 class. Read, look around, and post as much as you would like/need. We are all here for you.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you ash,
This site has been amazing for me. You will find plenty of support here. Just let us know how we can help. Tons of experience here.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome (back)

D
Old 04-03-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome, ashadeofblue, and yeah, company is a bonus.

sounds like you've been here beore, and i'm wondering what your thoughts are about what to change in your approach so you do not end up deciding to drink again when feeling isolated and lonely....you mention a good network of friends...?
Old 04-03-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's a good question, fini. I'd like to think that I'm on the road to changing the approach insofar as I have sought therapy for these issues. That was new for me. I'm planning to add medication to my regime to deal with some anxiety issues. This is the first time in some years I've been open to that. Another first is committing to the decision and voicing that to people I trust. I have told my wife, who is very supportive. I will likely share it with a few trusted family members in the days ahead.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're here and reaching out for support. That's a great sign and a great step in the direction of sustainable sobriety and a better life than you can imagine.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Old 04-04-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

definitely being open to doing things differently, letting new ideas "in" and following some...those were and are invaluable to me.
may not always like it, may have to struggle to get out of entrenched mindsets, but then...yes, doors opened.

keep posting. lots of us here to chat with.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
2/2016

Are you spiritual by any chance? Do you pray? I found asking for help in prayer was of great benefit. You can do this!
Old 04-04-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 04-04-2017, 11:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! We do understand how hard this is and you will find lots of support here.