Notices

It's been a while....

Old 04-04-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the messages/replies.

I'm feeling a bit more positive today. I am still drinking at the moment but as minimal as possible, I've been told not to stop until I see the alcohol detox people on Friday. I have blood tests again tomorrow.

I was on bail until the 26th of April but yesterday after I posted I got a summons in the post and have to go to court next week now, very short notice and wasn't expecting things to move so fast but after talking to a solicitor, that isn't in fact looking as bad as I feared. He thinks it's very unlikely they will inprison me. Still scared though, I guess it depends on the judge.

Doing all I can to try and makes things better.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Room1, thanks for your post. It helps me and I'm sure it will help many and remind us there is no bottom (aside from death)...we are here to support you!
Old 04-22-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Well just an update, I've been to court, thankfully I'm not in prison, I got a 12 week prison sentence, but it's suspended. So as long as I don't break the law in the next year I can stay home.

Still finding out about the liver stuff, next appointment is this coming Tuesday.

I'm upset today, I've had 3 appointments with the alcohol people, they just contradict themselves. They tell me not to stop drinking as it could be fatel (can't spell that word) , and said not to stop drinking more than a unit a day, Then when I saw them the 2nd time they saying don't drink if you have no symptoms? And I was saying but last time you told me I should drop half a can at most, now your saying don't drink if I have no symptoms, it's very confusing, England for you I guess. I can't bloody wean or I wouldn't be in this mess. Do I drink to stop withdrawal or go as long as I can, wish they would just give me meds and this was over and I can move on.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:39 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

My God, man. Forgive me, but you've escaped prison and maybe liver failure, yet you are wondering whether you should quit drinking and are wishing there were a medication to make it all go away?

I understand you've been fighting this for at least ten years, and my sympathy for you is endless, but continuing to drink because "it's very confusing" what "the alcohol people" are telling you has got to be one of the shakiest excuses for drinking I have ever heard, especially for someone in your circumstances.

I wouldn't dream of suggesting a sensible effective course of action for you because I'm very sure you've read dozens of suggestions just here on this forum alone, any one of which, if followed, would change your life around.
Old 04-22-2017, 03:45 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MarkTwain View Post
My God, man. Forgive me, but you've escaped prison and maybe liver failure, yet you are wondering whether you should quit drinking and are wishing there were a medication to make it all go away?

I understand you've been fighting this for at least ten years, and my sympathy for you is endless, but continuing to drink because "it's very confusing" what "the alcohol people" are telling you has got to be one of the shakiest excuses for drinking I have ever heard, especially for someone in your circumstances.

I wouldn't dream of suggesting a sensible effective course of action for you because I'm very sure you've read dozens of suggestions just here on this forum alone, any one of which, if followed, would change your life around.
Excellent post and stellar advice!!!
Old 04-22-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm not wondering if I should quit drinking. I want to quit! The alcohol service are saying it will kill me to stop cold turkey. I've had three appointments so far and all I get told is not to stop drinking and the most I should cut down is 2 units every 3 days. That was my point, I want to stop, I'd never drink again, but I don't want to die in the process of quitting? I'm an alcoholic, telling me to drop one can of cider every 3rd day (that's their advice) is bloody hard to do. No there is no magic cure but here in England I'm supposed to suddenly be able to control it, like I said if I could control it I would not be in the situation I am. Then when I do ask for help, pretty much left to wean on my own. That was my point, that's the help I'm getting, nothing basically, I'm supposed to suddenly be able to wean myself off because if I don't I will die!
Old 04-22-2017, 05:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm not wondering if I should quit drinking. I want to quit! The alcohol service are saying it will kill me to stop cold turkey. I've had three appointments so far and all I get told is not to stop drinking and the most I should cut down is 2 units every 3 days. That was my point, I want to stop, I'd never drink again, but I don't want to die in the process of quitting? I'm an alcoholic, telling me to drop one can of cider every 3rd day (that's their advice) is bloody hard to do. No there is no magic cure but here in England I'm supposed to suddenly be able to control it, like I said if I could control it I would not be in the situation I am. Then when I do ask for help, pretty much left to wean on my own. That was my point, that's the help I'm getting, nothing basically, I'm supposed to suddenly be able to wean myself off because if I don't I will die!
Old 04-22-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're not facing prison Room - thats great.

It's also great you're committed to stopping

I'm not sure what contradictory advice you're getting, are some telling you to taper? thats the standard advice in the UK unfortunately.

D
Old 04-22-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Exactly that Dee, they expect me to taper. I got down to 5 cans a day and then they said I was doing it to fast?? The next time I saw them I had been good and stuck to my 5 cans and then they asked why I drank them? The answer was because you told me last week any less than that I'd have problems? Now they are saying don't have a drink till the shakes come but make sure you don't drink less than half a can less a day, that's what's complicated, I felt fine, only drank the cans as was doing as I was told, but frigging hard having one can every 3 hours, but I was doing it. I can't be bothered to explain anymore, it's hard enough trying to do the right thing, I didn't expect critism for posting earlier :-(
Old 04-22-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Room

Tapering is hard but if you can manage it, you have to go with the advice you're getting I guess - unless you want to run it by your Dr?

D
Old 04-22-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Room1 View Post
Exactly that Dee, they expect me to taper. I got down to 5 cans a day and then they said I was doing it to fast?? The next time I saw them I had been good and stuck to my 5 cans and then they asked why I drank them? The answer was because you told me last week any less than that I'd have problems? Now they are saying don't have a drink till the shakes come but make sure you don't drink less than half a can less a day, that's what's complicated, I felt fine, only drank the cans as was doing as I was told, but frigging hard having one can every 3 hours, but I was doing it. I can't be bothered to explain anymore, it's hard enough trying to do the right thing, I didn't expect critism for posting earlier :-(
I dont think they meant to critise you. You are trying and thats a brave first step. Recovery is hard. But you can do it. Maybe you should get a second opinion or ask them to explain it to you again. This is your health and they need to be sure you are in full understanding. They should have ensured that you understood before they let you leave. They are there to assist you. Dont be afraid to ask questions
Old 04-22-2017, 06:51 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I did ask them about 4 times! It didn't make sense, my first option was to drop one can of cider every 3 days, (Vodka is my drink, cider is my weaning drink) anymore than one can every 3rd day they said I would have problems. So I said but I'm literally drinking a can of cider now when I don't want to, so then they said, well if your body doesn't need it don't drink it.

So I said but your making no sense, what if I just quit and my body doesn't want it, they said well then don't have one, but then they also said my body won't cope if I just stop so I can't stop more than a can every 3 days. It was stupid what they said. however I have a plan now after emailing two good friends from this site. I will beat this!
Old 04-22-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Room1 View Post
I did ask them about 4 times! It didn't make sense, my first option was to drop one can of cider every 3 days, (Vodka is my drink, cider is my weaning drink) anymore than one can every 3rd day they said I would have problems. So I said but I'm literally drinking a can of cider now when I don't want to, so then they said, well if your body doesn't need it don't drink it.

So I said but your making no sense, what if I just quit and my body doesn't want it, they said well then don't have one, but then they also said my body won't cope if I just stop so I can't stop more than a can every 3 days. It was stupid what they said. however I have a plan now after emailing two good friends from this site. I will beat this!
You definately will. As long as you keep that positive attitude.
The first day of the rest of your life. I am so happy for you.
Keep us updated with your journey
Old 04-22-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

A question: Are you doing this by yourself? I mean in the sense of someone (friend/family) being with you?

Even when I was extremely sick with alcohol, I was able to stop cold turkey but was always sure to be around someone and have them aware of what I was doing just in case.