Notices

It's not gonna happen for me

Old 04-03-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bronzie View Post
Thank you, I really appreciate that.
Ok so, I'm making a plan.
There is an AA meeting in my town that I found on Tuesday mornings at 11:30, but that's the same time I work. So, I'm going to put in a request to not work until 1pm on tuesdays, and then I can start attending that meeting. I will also try to find a meeting I can attend on the weekends. Just afraid I might see someone I know there, small town.
If you do see someone you know there then they'll be there for the exact same reason as you. The biggest thing you'll be at risk from in an encounter of that kind is understanding and compassion.

Besides, if you keep going, pretty soon you'll know everyone there. Oh goodness, I wouldn't be without my AA clan for all the World. They are my rocks.

There are only 2 meetings each week in my town, so I also go to meetings in the neighbouring towns. We share rides so people who can't drive or don't have cars can get there as well. I think that's pretty much the norm for most small towns so chances are there are people who'd be able to help you make some other meetings as well as the home town ones. If the worst comes to the worst just get to that meeting for this week and explain your predicament and see what they suggest.

BB
Old 04-03-2017, 01:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

That's very true. I'm a teacher and I just don't want it getting back to my employer or student's parents. Although, I'm sure anyone in my community, for the most part, would be very understanding. I just need to overcome my own personal fear.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yah. I'm a teacher as well. And have met many teachers and lecturers in the rooms. Glad to meet you Bronzie. My biggest fear was running into a parent in the rooms. Now I've got some solid sobriety, not so much. Also, I chose to explain to my Head that I was going to AA so that I didn't need to live with that fear of someone else telling her. Lots of people thought I was nuts doing that, but the fear was really making things hard for me and I needed to feel that I could get myself to meetings without worrying about that. She's been very supportive and quick to tell me how much I've improved as I've worked my recovery. I think I was a bit of a strain to deal with before, to put it mildly. She even arranged for me to have counselling through the school because I was emotionally such a mess. And those education and social care colleagues I've met in the rooms, it must be said, we have a fantastic support network between us. I do tend to meet those professional folk more in the evening and weekend meetings though, unless it's holiday time. (It's the first day of the school Easter holiday in the UK so I'm hoping to run into some of them in the lunch time meeting I'll go to in a few hours).

Things will get better Bronzie. If you stay sober and work on your recovery. It might not be easy at first, but it will be so, so worth it.

BB
Old 04-03-2017, 02:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Berrybean View Post
Yah. I'm a teacher as well. And have met many teachers and lecturers in the rooms. Glad to meet you Bronzie. My biggest fear was running into a parent in the rooms. Now I've got some solid sobriety, not so much. Also, I chose to explain to my Head that I was going to AA so that I didn't need to live with that fear of someone else telling her. Lots of people thought I was nuts doing that, but the fear was really making things hard for me and I needed to feel that I could get myself to meetings without worrying about that. She's been very supportive and quick to tell me how much I've improved as I've worked my recovery. I think I was a bit of a strain to deal with before, to put it mildly. She even arranged for me to have counselling through the school because I was emotionally such a mess. And those education and social care colleagues I've met in the rooms, it must be said, we have a fantastic support network between us. I do tend to meet those professional folk more in the evening and weekend meetings though, unless it's holiday time. (It's the first day of the school Easter holiday in the UK so I'm hoping to run into some of them in the lunch time meeting I'll go to in a few hours).

Things will get better Bronzie. If you stay sober and work on your recovery. It might not be easy at first, but it will be so, so worth it.

BB
Thank you berry, and nice to meet you also. I don't know how I'm gonna be able to work today. I can't stop crying so much All night, I'm just trying to breathe at the moment. I thank you for responding to me. It helps to hear the encouragement:
Old 04-03-2017, 02:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

In my first month not drinking, it was only when I was at work focussing on the kids that I was okay. The rest of the time I was stuck in a horrible inward looking vortex. Like a tsunami of emotions and fear. Please reach out for support. It's so, so hard to do this thing alone x