Notices

appetite and sleep

Old 04-02-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

appetite and sleep

Starting 8 days sober,,,,learning how to relax thanks to the great help i got here!!!!! Was wondering if anyone has had problems eating and sleeping???? I have really no appetite and and have trouble sleeping!!!! Please help!!!!!
Old 04-02-2017, 07:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Two weeks yesterday for me - appetite was really only an issue the first couple of days....now I'm eating well (have a sweets craving occasionally, but that's normal when you give up alcohol), but sleep is still an issue. I work nights mostly, but occasionally days and evenings, so that in itself is a challenge.

I've been binging on some Netflix and exercising, both of which are helping the sleep issue some.

Hope that helps - welcome !
Old 04-02-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome and great job on a week plus!

Yes, I had all kinds of problems eating and sleeping at first. I needed to gain weight but I just wasn't hungry. That changed- I definitely got into the sugar thing around 2 months in.

I was EXHAUSTED at first. I was very sick when I quit; now, 405 days in, fatigue is still my number one concern as I live a very full life.

At the start, I took huge advantage of naps.

Taking care of yourself- learning to listen to what your body needs now that you are not putting alcohol in it is critical.

Good luck.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grayghost1965 View Post
Two weeks yesterday for me - appetite was really only an issue the first couple of days....now I'm eating well (have a sweets craving occasionally, but that's normal when you give up alcohol), but sleep is still an issue. I work nights mostly, but occasionally days and evenings, so that in itself is a challenge.

I've been binging on some Netflix and exercising, both of which are helping the sleep issue some.

Hope that helps - welcome !
Yes,,,,thank you!!! Started exercising yesterday!!!!! Thanks again for the help!!!!
Old 04-02-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 8 days 😊. I had problems with sleep when I first stopped drinking. I felt great being sober and I think I was like oh my god I need to get so much done. When I woke up during the night instead of turning over and going back to sleep. My head was to busy and I had to get up. 2 or 3 am. I went to my doctor and she said lack of sleep was common among problem drinkers when they got sober. She gave me tablets which I take each night before bed and I get at least 8 hours per night. Also getting used to going to bed when your not drunk can take getting used to. Have a bath relax go to bed and read and wind down. Most of all enjoy going to bed having had a sober day , pat yourself on the back and look forward to the next day sober. Have a great day 👍
Old 04-02-2017, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Dr Weil's 4-7-8 Breathing Technique

The 4-7-8 (or Relaxing Breath) Exercise

This breathing exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
Hold your breath for a count of seven.
Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
Note that with this breathing technique, you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.

This breathing exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it, but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.

Once you develop this technique by practicing it every day, it will be a very useful tool that you will always have with you. Use it whenever anything upsetting happens – before you react. Use it whenever you are aware of internal tension or stress. Use it to help you fall asleep. This exercise cannot be recommended too highly. Everyone can benefit from it.

(From Dr Weil's Website - there is also YouTube videos demonstrating this)

https://sleepfoundation.org/

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-to...thy-sleep-tips
Old 04-02-2017, 07:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Totally normal. Everyone goes through that initial stage. Try to eat six small meals a day and avoid junk food, high nitrate foods (lunchmeat), and other things with lots of sodium. Fresh fruits and veggies will restore your vitamins and minerals and depending on your lifestyle (If you work out) you may need a multivitamin because heavy exercise depletes those also. Eat as much protein and health fats as you can. Think of it this way, like a house:
- Fruits and veggies keep the electrical system and the plumbing in good working condition
- Protein rebuilds whatever has broken on the frame
- Carb's such as potatoes, rice, bananas, grains, etc.. Provide the power (energy)

And drink a lot of fluid (half your body weight in ounces every day), a lot of toxins build up from drinking. You need to flush that garbage out.

And get the body moving even if it's a long (or short) walk.

The body heals quick when properly maintained.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Welcome and great job on a week plus!

Yes, I had all kinds of problems eating and sleeping at first. I needed to gain weight but I just wasn't hungry. That changed- I definitely got into the sugar thing around 2 months in.

I was EXHAUSTED at first. I was very sick when I quit; now, 405 days in, fatigue is still my number one concern as I live a very full life.

At the start, I took huge advantage of naps.

Taking care of yourself- learning to listen to what your body needs now that you are not putting alcohol in it is critical.

Good luck.
Thanks!!!! Im listening and wanting to learn!!!! 32 years of drinking is enough,,,,no more!!!!!
Old 04-02-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alan6154 View Post
Totally normal. Everyone goes through that initial stage. Try to eat six small meals a day and avoid junk food, high nitrate foods (lunchmeat), and other things with lots of sodium. Fresh fruits and veggies will restore your vitamins and minerals and depending on your lifestyle (If you work out) you may need a multivitamin because heavy exercise depletes those also. Eat as much protein and health fats as you can. Think of it this way, like a house:
- Fruits and veggies keep the electrical system and the plumbing in good working condition
- Protein rebuilds whatever has broken on the frame
- Carb's such as potatoes, rice, bananas, grains, etc.. Provide the power (energy)

And drink a lot of fluid (half your body weight in ounces every day), a lot of toxins build up from drinking. You need to flush that garbage out.

And get the body moving even if it's a long (or short) walk.

The body heals quick when properly maintained.
Started walking yesterday,,,,going to the store for fruits and vegetables today,,,,and meats!!!! Thanks for theadvice!!!!
Old 04-02-2017, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Dr Weil's 4-7-8 Breathing Technique

The 4-7-8 (or Relaxing Breath) Exercise

This breathing exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
Hold your breath for a count of seven.
Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
Note that with this breathing technique, you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.

This breathing exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it, but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.

Once you develop this technique by practicing it every day, it will be a very useful tool that you will always have with you. Use it whenever anything upsetting happens – before you react. Use it whenever you are aware of internal tension or stress. Use it to help you fall asleep. This exercise cannot be recommended too highly. Everyone can benefit from it.

(From Dr Weil's Website - there is also YouTube videos demonstrating this)

https://sleepfoundation.org/

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-to...thy-sleep-tips
Did this last night,,,,worked great!!!! Thanks!!!!
Old 04-02-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BigP View Post
Congrats on 8 days 😊. I had problems with sleep when I first stopped drinking. I felt great being sober and I think I was like oh my god I need to get so much done. When I woke up during the night instead of turning over and going back to sleep. My head was to busy and I had to get up. 2 or 3 am. I went to my doctor and she said lack of sleep was common among problem drinkers when they got sober. She gave me tablets which I take each night before bed and I get at least 8 hours per night. Also getting used to going to bed when your not drunk can take getting used to. Have a bath relax go to bed and read and wind down. Most of all enjoy going to bed having had a sober day , pat yourself on the back and look forward to the next day sober. Have a great day 👍
Thanks for the advice!!!!
Old 04-02-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My appetite was non-existent for the first 3 days. Stomach cramps for the first 4-5 days. Shakes for a week after that. Anxiety and restlessness through the roof. Insomnia for the first week.

That stuff goes away. Getting through the first two weeks is key. Never a bad idea to see a doc too.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ThatWasTheOldMe View Post
My appetite was non-existent for the first 3 days. Stomach cramps for the first 4-5 days. Shakes for a week after that. Anxiety and restlessness through the roof. Insomnia for the first week.

That stuff goes away. Getting through the first two weeks is key. Never a bad idea to see a doc too.
Yep,,,,going in a few days!!!! Thanks!!!!