Notices

nervous and anxiety

Old 04-01-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

nervous and anxiety

Im seven days sober,,,,the nervous and anxiety has hit me hard...ill be having a pretty good day then bam!!!!! Please help!!!!
Old 04-01-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why are you feeling nervous?
Old 04-01-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jwc1 View Post
Im seven days sober,,,,the nervous and anxiety has hit me hard...ill be having a pretty good day then bam!!!!! Please help!!!!
I've dealt with Anxiety my whole life with and without alcoholism in the mix.

Do you exercise? 30 minutes of exercise will take the edge off, especially resistance training. Even just a few sets of push ups will release anxiety fighting endorphins into your sytem.

How is your diet? Ditch the boxed or packaged food for fresh fruits, vegetables, and unprepared meats if you haven't already. Not only will the nutrition help with anxiety, but cooking can be relaxing while also keeping your mind busy. Anxiety attacks when you give it an opportunity to manifest. For many people boredom leads to anxiety, so stay busy.

Also, if you have to see a doc ask for a short prescription of Ativan or Xanax. These drugs are habit forming so only take one if you need it. Most docs are smart enough to only give you a couple weeks worth, but if they offer more refuse it. Also don't let him/her talk you into an antidepressant class drug unless everything else has failed. They can be extremely difficult to get off of for some people, and they're not something you want to take unless you have to.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nilobrian33 View Post
Why are you feeling nervous?
maybe edgee,,,jittery is better than nervous!!!!
Old 04-01-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had a pretty big problem with that myself. Not sure if it'll work for you but I just stayed busy, I had a big piece of property I had neglected for awhile and just started working on it. Kept my mind occupied during the day and wore me out so I slept easier. I'm not one to deal with doctors much so that's just the route I took, I'm sure you can get something prescribed to help.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please remember - Do not offer any kind of medical advice.

If you talk to your dr about your anxiety, clearly the best plan is to follow his advice. And, if you are looking for advice on antidepressants, talking to your dr is the way to go.

I have generalized anxiety and there are many things I do. One thing is exercise. I try to not add stress to my life, so I say 'No' if I don't think I can manage one more commitment. Yoga, meditation and breathing exercises are also very helpful.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by time4change79 View Post
I've dealt with Anxiety my whole life with and without alcoholism in the mix.

Do you exercise? 30 minutes of exercise will take the edge off, especially resistance training. Even just a few sets of push ups will release anxiety fighting endorphins into your sytem.

How is your diet? Ditch the boxed or packaged food for fresh fruits, vegetables, and unprepared meats if you haven't already. Not only will the nutrition help with anxiety, but cooking can be relaxing while also keeping your mind busy. Anxiety attacks when you give it an opportunity to manifest. For many people boredom leads to anxiety, so stay busy.

Also, if you have to see a doc ask for a short prescription of Ativan or Xanax. These drugs are habit forming so only take one if you need it. Most docs are smart enough to only give you a couple weeks worth, but if they offer more refuse it. Also don't let him/her talk you into an antidepressant class drug unless everything else has failed. They can be extremely difficult to get off of for some people, and they're not something you want to take unless you have to.
i have an appointment with my doctor the 14th,,,gonna go walking the dog this afternoon!!!!
Old 04-01-2017, 09:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Please remember - Do not offer any kind of medical advice.

If you talk to your dr about your anxiety, clearly the best plan is to follow his advice. And, if you are looking for advice on antidepressants, talking to your dr is the way to go.

I have generalized anxiety and there are many things I do. One thing is exercise. I try to not add stress to my life, so I say 'No' if I don't think I can manage one more commitment. Yoga, meditation and breathing exercises are also very helpful.
i guess you could call me high strung,,,,,the alcoholic helped me calm down!!!! Now its hard almost impossible to calm down!!!
Old 04-01-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Try the 478 breathing exercise and check the sticky threads at top of newcomers
Old 04-01-2017, 10:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
will do,,,,thank you!!!!!
Old 04-01-2017, 10:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's a pain in the nether-regions to deal with, but it is not at all uncommon. It will pass, day by day. Try to find nice quiet places to spend as much time as possible. I dealt with it by turning the ringer off the phone, plopping in front of the TV and watching mindless, funny, (If possible.) shows. Distract your mind, breathe, drink some ice-water.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
p***enger

I'm naturally high-strung (to say the least) and was outrageously jittery in early sobriety -- I understand where you're coming from.

In early sobriety I didn't know what to do with all that energy. I'd been used to suppressing it by drinking. One thing I did was walk, walk, walk-- to AA meetings, convos with other alcoholics, museums, anything. Trapped in my apartment with nothing to do, my jitters felt like anxiety. But when I was moving, not so much.

Over time, find healthy ways to use your high energy & it won't often seem unbearably jittery. Especially -- I agree w/Anna -- if you learn to practice daily meditation. Meditation teaches you a way to slow things down.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
whats 478 breathing exercise????
Old 04-01-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gregknight View Post
It's a pain in the nether-regions to deal with, but it is not at all uncommon. It will pass, day by day. Try to find nice quiet places to spend as much time as possible. I dealt with it by turning the ringer off the phone, plopping in front of the TV and watching mindless, funny, (If possible.) shows. Distract your mind, breathe, drink some ice-water.
will give that a try,,,,,thank you much!!!!!
Old 04-01-2017, 01:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
I'm naturally high-strung (to say the least) and was outrageously jittery in early sobriety -- I understand where you're coming from.

In early sobriety I didn't know what to do with all that energy. I'd been used to suppressing it by drinking. One thing I did was walk, walk, walk-- to AA meetings, convos with other alcoholics, museums, anything. Trapped in my apartment with nothing to do, my jitters felt like anxiety. But when I was moving, not so much.

Over time, find healthy ways to use your high energy & it won't often seem unbearably jittery. Especially -- I agree w/Anna -- if you learn to practice daily meditation. Meditation teaches you a way to slow things down.
thank you!!!! Will look into meditation,,,thanks!!!!
Old 04-01-2017, 01:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i have an appointment with my doctor the 14th,,,gonna go walking the dog this afternoon!!!!
went walking,,,,even jogged a little!!!! So far feel pretty good!!!! Thanks!!!!
Old 04-01-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

whats 478 breathing exercise????
Dr Weil's 4-7-8 Breathing Technique

The 4-7-8 (or Relaxing Breath) Exercise

This breathing exercise is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere. Although you can do the exercise in any position, sit with your back straight while learning the exercise. Place the tip of your tongue against the ridge of tissue just behind your upper front teeth, and keep it there through the entire exercise. You will be exhaling through your mouth around your tongue; try pursing your lips slightly if this seems awkward.

Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
Hold your breath for a count of seven.
Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
Note that with this breathing technique, you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth. The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time. Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation. The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4:7:8 is important. If you have trouble holding your breath, speed the exercise up but keep to the ratio of 4:7:8 for the three phases. With practice you can slow it all down and get used to inhaling and exhaling more and more deeply.

This breathing exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system. Unlike tranquilizing drugs, which are often effective when you first take them but then lose their power over time, this exercise is subtle when you first try it, but gains in power with repetition and practice. Do it at least twice a day. You cannot do it too frequently. Do not do more than four breaths at one time for the first month of practice. Later, if you wish, you can extend it to eight breaths. If you feel a little lightheaded when you first breathe this way, do not be concerned; it will pass.

Once you develop this technique by practicing it every day, it will be a very useful tool that you will always have with you. Use it whenever anything upsetting happens – before you react. Use it whenever you are aware of internal tension or stress. Use it to help you fall asleep. This exercise cannot be recommended too highly. Everyone can benefit from it.

(From Dr Weil's Website - there is also YouTube videos demonstrating this)
Old 04-01-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Omg,,,,,i tried it liked it!!!! Will do it often!!!!! Thank you so so much!!!!!
Old 04-01-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

thank you!!!! Will look into meditation,,,thanks!!!!
With the jitters and high strung,,,,did you have any problems eating,,,,i do!!!! Almost no appetite?????
Old 04-01-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
All is Change

Mini Anapana Meditation
Guidelines

A Mini Anapana session should be conducted in a quiet hall or room suitable for meditation
Participants must listen and practice carefully, sitting with their backs straight while maintaining complete silence through out the entire session
Neither the person hosting the session nor anyone else should give any other instructions, live or recorded; the only instructions given should be that of Mr. Goenka's Mini Anapana recording
There should be no charge whatsoever for attending a Mini Anapana session

Note: Participants who attend Mini Anapana sessions will not be considered as "Old Students" in this tradition. They can not participate in any programs designated as "For Old Students only".
Materials

Part 1: Introduction by Mr. S.N. Goenka (15 mins - video)
Part 2: Practice Session (10 mins - audio only)
Part 1 & Part 2 combined: Introduction and Practice Session (http://audio.server.dhamma.org/audio...inGS_Audio.mp3)

Notes:

Left click on the link to play the video/audio. Right click to download from the menu.
It is recommended to sit for Parts 1 and 2 in one 25 min sequence the first time. Thereafter, Part 2 audio (PRACTICE SESSION) can be used for regular practice.