Notices

Day 16 - on-going headaches

Old 03-31-2017, 08:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink Day 16 - on-going headaches

Hey everyone!

I've made it to day 16 (woohoo!) and feeling great about my decision to stop drinking. I'm listening to sobriety podcasts everyday which is really really helping me and giving me a new outlook on living life without alcohol.

However, I'm struggling with a couple of things - I'm so incredibly tired a lot of the time and energy levels are very up and down in general - sometimes I feel great, sometimes I feel like I could sleep all day long (like today!). I'm also waking up with headaches quite frequently. I expected this in the first 10 days or so, but kind of expected it to be moving on by now...is this something other people have experienced? I feel like I may still be detoxing? I guess it makes sense after years and years of saturating my body with alcohol, but just wanted to see if this is something other people have dealt with or maybe I should be going to the doctor?

Old 03-31-2017, 08:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I definitely had both things, Kelly. It got better for me in time.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Kelly,

I was deeply addicted...15 years of moderation, binging, and daily drinking.

I was totally blind about what I was doing to my brain and body.

I had red eyes and headaches for months.

I had paranoia and spatial disorientation for over a year.

It was horrible. I suffered.

Booze is poison for everyone. We just drank too much and got to the end of our drinking days 20 or 30 years sooner than a normal drinker.

We will end up living longer and happier for stopping now I bet.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

16 days is a great start, congrats on getting to the double digits. I've been there before and it felt wonderful. Can't wait til I Get back there again VERY soon! I have random body pains, anxiety, red eyes, upset stomach and nausea every time. For the headaches, make sure you are hydrating a lot. If they don't go away, maybe see a doc just to be safe. Hang in there. You are doing great! Btw, where do you get the sobriety podcasts? Are they free?
Old 03-31-2017, 09:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats Kelly, keep it up. I am on day 196 and my energy levels are still wildly inconsistent. Exercising helps. More importantly, my energy levels have been gradually improving the longer I stay sober.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Kels- I am 14 months without a drink and fatigue is something I struggle with daily. All I can do apart from HALTS- good diet blah- is to listen to my body and take nana naps. Headaches- stress- anxiety-depression maybe? Whatever see a doctor if you are concerned. I would- and do now, regularly. A very good support and keeps me honest. PJ
Old 03-31-2017, 11:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had headaches around the 16 day mark too for about a week maybe a bit more but thankfully they are gone now, hope yours goes too
Old 03-31-2017, 11:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
01/28/2017

i am at day 62 and i am still going through waves of various symptoms. fatigue, headaches, body pains here and there. i just remind myself of how many years i spent flooding my body with poison on a daily(and many times 24hr) basis. it is gonna take time for things to settle out. what i do know is that despite whatever issue i am dealing with at any given time, in the big picture i feel better and healthier than i did on day one by a long shot.

that said, listen to your gut. if you are concerned and feel something isnt right go see your doc.....if for nothing else peace of mind.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bronzie View Post
Hang in there. You are doing great! Btw, where do you get the sobriety podcasts? Are they free?
Yep! I use iPhone so I just download them using the podcast app I only started listening to podcasts about a year ago but I love them sooo much! Such a great way to learn about new things and get motivation
Old 04-01-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks everyone for your responses - has put my mind at ease. I've never been very patient sooo yep, just need to give myself time to heal.And yes, I suppose headaches can happen without being connected to a hangover too haha lol
Old 04-01-2017, 04:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had wacked out sleep, emotional issues, depression, anxiety, headaches and all sorts of weird stuff going on for most of the first year.

Roll with it. Be patient. Sometimes a little juice or candy can help with the headaches.... they may be partly related to the sharp reduction in sugar your body is dealing with by removing alcohol. Not a real 'fix' in the long run but can help reduce some of the side effects as your body tries to adjust to a new routine, a new balance, a new and healthier life.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly, I'm just a few days ahead of you and I am still having headaches and feeling generally exhausted too - it's good to know we're not alone, hey? I liken how I'm feeling to a kind of mild hangover. I also feel quite spaced out. My daughter keeps asking me what I'm doing - I'm just standing, gazing into space, off in fairy land! I know this is temporary, I just don't know when it's likely to end.
Old 04-01-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bimbott View Post
Hi Kelly, I'm just a few days ahead of you and I am still having headaches and feeling generally exhausted too - it's good to know we're not alone, hey? I liken how I'm feeling to a kind of mild hangover. I also feel quite spaced out. My daughter keeps asking me what I'm doing - I'm just standing, gazing into space, off in fairy land! I know this is temporary, I just don't know when it's likely to end.
Yes! Totally feeling all of the above as well - thanks for sharing x
Old 04-01-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It could still be withdrawal. Sugar and carbs sometimes help, caffeine. Not the healthiest things.. Drink more water.