Notices

Tired and mad...

Old 03-31-2017, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired and mad...

Day 2 and I'm very tired today and just cranky? I don't feel like doing anything ...no meetings till later if I go...I'm just annoyed today ...I don't want to have to do this but I know I need to. I'm mad my wedding is next weekend and I have a busy time trying to get things done leading up to it and then thewedding with drinking so soon for me I concerned about...it's just everything I guess today getting to me...I got up showered dresses...child at school now I just feel like laying around? But i know I should be getting something done...I'm just blah! And don't know what to do with myself today...tired, headache ...crappy rainy day here...just blah! Maybe I'm sad too? Just not having the best day and figured I'd post here to get it out and occupy my mind! Thanks .....
Old 03-31-2017, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Coming here and posting is a fine idea, glad you decided to do so Cat. The first few days of recovery are simply not much fun, your body needs time to heal and adjust. Take it easy and try not to do too much - but keeping yourself somewhat busy can help. Perhaps you could make a list of a few things that you think you could manage getting done today?
Old 03-31-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In early recovery, my feelings were all over the place. Even now not that far in.. I still get some big ups and downs out of nowhere.
I do agree with Scott, getting busy does help. I had to force myself to do things, and then allow myself a rest or a nap as a treat or part of my self-care.

The other thing that I try very hard to remember to do is practice gratitude throughout difficult times. Take a moment and think of everything you are grateful for, or take a pen and paper out and write a few things.
It really helps bring me back to the moment and remember there are a lot of good things going on around me right now.
Sometimes I start small with the little things, and a little list. Eventually we grow our gratitude.
It will get better. Be kind to yourself. You've got a lot on your plate at a vulnerable time
Old 03-31-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure it's a very busy time as your wedding approaches, but glad you are getting through things so far. Take a little time to just relax and regroup and, as Scott suggested, making lists is a great way to help you cope.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Those first weeks can be tough, but it DOES get better. Just remember, drinking would only be a very short term solution, whereas if you stay sober and work on your recovery, there is a long term solution to those feelings of restless, irritability and discontentment.

It also helped me when I (finally - I am a slow learner) understood that those feelings are not 'me'. They also don't control me. And they will pass without me acting on them. Breathing and mindfulness exercises were very useful to me when was feeling like this a lot (and I still use them now if I'm having a rattley day). My favourite one is alternate nostril breathing. (Point at your own forehead resting the pointy finger there, and place place your thumb over your left nostril and your middle finger over your right nostril. Use those fingers to hold down alternate nostrils so you can breathe slowly in through the right, hold for a couple of seconds then breathe out of the left, then in the left, hold, and out of the right. Repeat 5 to 10 times. It's good for stopping that washing machine head and rebalanced the two parts of the brain. Helps me anyway.

Anyway - keep reading and posting, and stick with the plan.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 03-31-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Cat

Recently sobering up and also getting married.
That rocks my brain.
Sobriety is so important for us drunks.
A wedding reception can be a challenge.
I drank at one once with close to 3 years of sobriety.
But, I had let my staying sober tools slip away.
You may have to slip out a few times to catch your breath
reminding yourself
if I can get through this event sober -- I have proven to myself
through ALL ups and downs I need to never drink again.

Sorry that the big test is coming so soon for you.
But, you can do it.

Good luck,
M-Bob
Old 03-31-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You have a lot on your plate. Truthfully, it will be much easier to get through all the plans and everything else (which is a lot) clear headed and sober. My wedding day and everything leading up to it was very very stressful. Hang in there. Keep posting and its good to see that you reached out instead of reaching for the bottle.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

As others have mentioned, those emotions are all over the board early. In fact, they may intensify at 3-6 months (not constantly, but occasional "rushes"). The important thing is that you are doing the right thing by your child and your life. Sobriety will set you free in the long run.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Feeling a bit better now thanks everyone ......a big problem I have is a need something hung to do with my time and I need friends that don't drink )
Old 03-31-2017, 03:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This will be a special day for you. In hindsight you will be glad that you can remember every minute of it. You'll feel better by then.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Slowly does it. Try to do one thing at a time and not get overwhelmed. Breathe- remember HALTS. Such times are enormous triggers, use your supports- get to a meeting if you can. Let frustration and anxiety wash over and fade.
Keep posting.