Notices

Day 5 and Weekend Plans

Old 03-31-2017, 06:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 and Weekend Plans

Hi everyone. First off, thank you for all the support. This forum and the people on it are amazing. I now am on Day 5 sober and feeling pretty good. I made sure I have plenty of sober and positive plans for the weekend - hiking with my dog, lunch with my parents, going to the movies. I also made a list of tasks and errands I can do in between. I'll also be doing a lot of praying and swinging by here regularly. What sorts of activities do others do to pass the time and keep their mind off drinking in early sobriety?
Old 03-31-2017, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sound like a great way to spend the weekend!I just mostly don't put myself in a position where I'm going to be around drinking.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went to 90 AA meetings in the first 90 days. I joined my "Class of March" here on this site, and posted and read here daily, sometimes for hours.

I bought and prepared all my own healthy food. That's time consuming, but so worth it. I hiked, like you're doing. I read books and online articles that dealt with my specific situation/problems. I tried to switch my thoughts immediately if/when I started ruminating or worrying.

It's a process.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you have a good plan for the weekend. And, we have lots of ideas of things to do:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 03-31-2017, 07:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

I like reading ? or going on long walks I'm just back from exercising with Mrs Sw and we bought some new blinds for the bathroom & saw a lot of ducks today all different types too

But reading really helped me the first book I read in sobriety was living sober and it is one powerful little book (for me anyway)
Old 03-31-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like to wake up early on the weekends. The weekend is so much longer if you don't sleep the whole thing away.

If your on day 5 you still might need the sleep, but if you can wake up early and walk it's really nice. It's an excellent time to reflect on how good it is not being hungover.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good advice here already.....

My advice is to change up your weekend routine..and log on here if you feel like you're in need of support

D
Old 03-31-2017, 06:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi there- I am in the tail end of a recovery program linked with safe housing.
14 months sober (yay) and part of the process was of course activities. Three stood out. The first was a 'high ropes adventure' thingy. Climbing up and balancing on things- shuffling across wires, being hurtled through the air in a harness attached to a sling shot- back and forth. The activity showed me I could move outside a zone of isolated safety. Also my strength in bod (burns- from booze) was still able to be used- a biggie AND it removed a perceived lifelong fear of heights.
Second was supervised gym work- did well.
Third- art. Being from a nursing background- art in rehab bought up images of popsicle sticks and basket weaving. I made myself go anyway and loved it. Ihave a raw talent for it, so I am told. I learn from it- patience, new skills. The way I think- if brushwork hurried- I am stressed. Dark colours- perhaps I am moody. I have just entered 2 for consideration in an art exhibition. Even if they are not accepted- the fact I am doing art, grow and learn and think outside my safety zone- IS.
So try something completely different perhaps.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
I like to wake up early on the weekends. The weekend is so much longer if you don't sleep the whole thing away.

If your on day 5 you still might need the sleep, but if you can wake up early and walk it's really nice. It's an excellent time to reflect on how good it is not being hungover.
This is a great idea! How nice to wake up and go walking, enjoying nature, instead of being sick and hungover! I'll have to keep this in mind.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm going to spend the weekend with my youngest daughter and just enjoy being with her, resting, going walking, maybe to the movies tmrw for a kids pass to see Moana, and play date with my friend and her son on Sunday. Also, laundry, general cleaning and doing some spring organization. Enjoying some good foods, and maybe trying a new recipe. Hope you have a great weekend!