SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Newcomer from Philadelphia (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/407128-newcomer-philadelphia.html)

FourF89 03-31-2017 05:38 AM

Newcomer from Philadelphia

Hello. I am a 27 year old female from Philly. I have been an alcoholic binge drinker for 10 years yet I have never typed that out or said it allowed before. For me, I use it to self medicate because I have crippling social anxiety. I have been thinking of seeking help online rather than AA because of my social anxiety. I would like to be sober once and for all because drinking is currently putting my relationship, home and pets at risk. I never learn my lessons and I need to before it is too late. I can feel the mental and physical toll on my body and I've had enough. So there it is! Hope to read other's posts and seek advice and reach out if I need help or encouragement and to do the same for others. Thanks.

tomls 03-31-2017 05:47 AM

Welcome to SR! You have come to the right place! Thank you for being honest and seeking help! Please keep coming back, reading and posting. There are a whole lot of people here anxious to give help and advice. It helps them as much as it does you.

Canadian Koala 03-31-2017 05:51 AM

Hi FourF89,
You took a huge step toward your recovery posting here today.
You will find many answers and support in your journey on SR
CK

Alan6154 03-31-2017 06:08 AM

Admitting it to yourself is the big first step. As with everyone, you are your harshest critic and the one you lie to most.
"Beyond all others to thine own self be true"

Now is the time to come up with a game plan as to how you're going to address the problems. You can find a lot of resources and support on this site. I hope you decide to stick it out.

BTW, every time I make it to Philly I go to John's Roast Pork....delicious. You have some good eats in that town.

FourF89 03-31-2017 07:23 AM

Thank you!!!

FourF89 03-31-2017 07:24 AM

Thank you! Definitely going to keep coming back!

Alan6154 03-31-2017 07:53 AM

Early on advise. Take advantage of the feel good things in life.
- Taking a nice walk (not today it's raining in the Mid Atlantic, I'm in MD so I know)
- Afterward take a nice long shower
- Throw on your most comfortable sweats

Cost nothing, bothered nobody.
Diet - Stock up on the fruits and veggies that you love and eat as much as you want as often as you want. Increase your protein intake with healthy proteins eggs, chicken, lean beef, or even Whey powder drinks (You can get them at the grocery store or stores like GNC) that are required to heal the body. Eat a little carbs with every meal / snack like bananas, oats, potatoes (Not chips), and rice. Go easy on the potato and rice. And drink as much fluid as possible. Water or Gatorade not sodas and limit caffeine. When I first quit I was constantly thirsty. And just to be a little bad maybe sneak in some dark chocolate or ice cream from time to time.

Alan6154 03-31-2017 07:58 AM

Oops!! I forgot fish. It is loaded with Omega 3's and good fats that help brain function as well as tons of protein.

FourF89 03-31-2017 09:09 AM

Good advice thank you! I am in a state of constant dehydration so I will need to change that ASAP!

thomas11 03-31-2017 11:35 AM

Welcome Four, look forward to learning more about you and your journey.

CreativeThinker 03-31-2017 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by FourF89 (Post 6390035)
Good advice thank you! I am in a state of constant dehydration so I will need to change that ASAP!

Yes, hydration is super important! I like seltzer with a twist of lemon or lime.

Welcome to SR FourF89! You'll find some great people here with a lot of wisdom and support.

:c009: