Notices

First Post, Hello to All. Trying to Make Sense of It.

Old 04-02-2017, 12:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SidV80 View Post
I drank tonight, passed out and woke up pn the sofa at 3am. A wasted evening. Why do I keep doing this? Another Saturday gone.
You do it because you are an alcoholic.
I'm impressed that you are being HONEST. That was the hardest part for me... to admit- to MYSELF- that I was an ALCOHOLIC.
Yes, another Saturday was wasted away for you but you are facing up to the problem. Good for you!
It is NOT impossible to stop drinking. It will get easier! And life will be so much better.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi everyone.
I'm new here, and I've been lurking on the website for a few days. It has been helpful. I actually had not had a drink for three days (partially because I have been looking through several posts and comments on here over the last several days...I learned about the AV, for example), but I did break down tonight and had 8 tonight (stopped myself at 8....made myself do it. Stop. Drank a full bottle of Jameson on Saturday night and wanted more...not in great shape on Sunday of course). You can imagine...stressful and frustrating day at work. I just wanted to numb down. I feel stupid now. Losing control scares me. I just wanted to say hello. My routine for a long time was...drinks on Friday and Saturday, whatever and how much...it has started to sneak in on weeknights now. The last several months. Just wanted to say hello, meet likeminded people, learn from your experiences and knowledge.
Good to hear from you Sid......the reference to weekenders, whatever and how much chimed with me, pretty much how I used to do it......I'll never forget having drank fairly steadily from about 2 pm on a Saturday whilst cooking for the family (now gone) and playing music (my favourite combinations) and then, post meal, tucking into the Irish whiskey, as a digestif of course (oh how my AV used to leap onto that principle and take full advantage) ...don't recall getting to bed but I woke the next day to see a third of a second bottle of Jameson's gone....even as a pretty seasoned drinker (then) it still shocked me....didn't stop me then but you've reminded me where I was at, (and what awaits if I pick up again)
Old 04-02-2017, 03:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I drank tonight, passed out and woke up pn the sofa at 3am. A wasted evening. Why do I keep doing this? Another Saturday gone.

Why not commit to coming and posting here before you drink the next time you feel that way Sid?

D
Old 04-02-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Sid. I had an in between stage similar to what it sounds like you're having.
Then overnight things changed drastically. I had a beer in the morning like I often did but couldn't stop at just one this time, and drank for the rest of the day.
I couldn't stop picking up that morning beer over and over and over, expecting to stop with one like I used to, but every time I just kept drinking for the rest of the day.

It gets WORSE. Even when alcoholics manage to cut back on their drinking, they find that the relapses get more and more destructive.
I suggest writing out good reasons for quitting and spend a lot of time reviewing them each day, and don't engage in any fantasizing of alcohol whatsoever.
Also stick around this board and keep reading and writing.
You'll learn a lot.

Last edited by red3215; 04-02-2017 at 05:32 AM. Reason: typos
Old 04-02-2017, 10:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone who replied to my posts. Day One starts today.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're with you, Sid.