Notices

Day 1

Old 03-30-2017, 05:26 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by SimplyFree View Post
I lose out to the sudden urge. Just runs me over...
Urges aren't taking over your consciousness, urges can't make you drink.

You can surrender to them, you can blame them, but it's you deciding to act on those urges. Just as you can choose to not act on them. Google Addictive Voice Recognition Technique (AVRT). Then you will understand the urge and your power over it.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi I'm new and on day1. I hate day 1, but struggle to get past day 3. My simple hope is to interact with others who have succeed to get past the early days. Thanks.....
I used to only be able to go two or three days then I made a decision to really try!!! I made it to 5 day and let my addiction take over and told myself if I can stop for 5 days then I'm fine...that was a month ago! I have now realized I just can't drink ever anymore. I also started again today! I'm on day 1 with you...we can do this together!!!
Old 03-30-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you, all of you, your encouragement and wisdom means more than I can say!
Old 03-30-2017, 10:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Day two done...Sigh here comes day 3. This seems to be the hurdle I trip on everytime. I know it's all in my head, but I seem to become forgetful and oblivious, then it's day one again.... Sigh.....
Old 03-30-2017, 10:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found posting regularly helped keep me focused SimplyFree
Congrats on day 2 being down and dusted

D
Old 03-31-2017, 03:32 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I hope that is true......Can't sleep...I guess this is part of paying the price.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

...here comes day 3. This seems to be the hurdle I trip on everytime. I know it's all in my head, but I seem to become forgetful and oblivious, then it's day one again.... Sigh.....
Don't create a self-fulfilling prophecy about day three. It's no different than day two or day four. A day that you remain sober. And don't fall for the "Cravings hijacked my brain" defense for drinking. You may drink. But it's your choice. It's also your choice to do everything in your power to avoid that first drink. Post to SR, distract yourself, ride out the cravings, get to a meeting.

You can do this.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I need to do this. I want to be a better role model for my son. Both my kids deserve a Dad who is with them each day not asleep or leftover grumpy. If possible I'll get in a 3 or 4 mile run. Try and take the edge off that way. I went to acouple of AA meetings, but was told since I didn't drink every day that "maybe I should reconsider my membership". Problem was and is I can't go without, haven't been able to get past day 3, it messes with my family and of course it isn't free. That is why I simply want to be free of all influence. I look forward to not seeing every liquor store sign when I drive down the rode.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Just had my classic moment where I would have stopped and bought something. I had all you words of support and kept driving. Thanks! Half way through day 3. Feels like a nail biter still.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job on day 3
Old 04-01-2017, 05:50 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Day 4....
Old 04-01-2017, 02:49 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going SimplyFree?

D
Old 04-01-2017, 08:37 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'd like to say good, but I am making it. I'm not sleeping well and my anxieties are higher than ever. If I make it to day 6 it will the longest since Jan 2014.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Day 4.....Done. Another round of the nightmare of trying to sleep. Goodnight never Neverland.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:38 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Day 5......I'm going back to the city. Here at the cabin there is no liquor store for 13 miles. At home I can leave and be back in 7 mins. When I started this time I didn't think I'd get to day 5. I never get past 3, but 5 is encouraging. I'm not sure what to think our say at this point. I'm just trying to manage the liar voice in my mind. One minute I feel strong and capable, the next I'm agreeing with the liar..... Unbelievable!
Old 04-02-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I had 16 days before last Thursday. Drank Thursday and last night. My trigger is being away from my partner.

When the cats away the mice will play. Congratulations on getting this far. It sucks to succumb to drink. It's day one for me Again. I like to be in your position and get to day 5.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:40 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

I need to do this. I want to be a better role model for my son. Both my kids deserve a Dad who is with them each day not asleep or leftover grumpy. If possible I'll get in a 3 or 4 mile run. Try and take the edge off that way. I went to acouple of AA meetings, but was told since I didn't drink every day that "maybe I should reconsider my membership". Problem was and is I can't go without, haven't been able to get past day 3, it messes with my family and of course it isn't free. That is why I simply want to be free of all influence. I look forward to not seeing every liquor store sign when I drive down the rode.
Hi & Welcome SimplyFree!! Keep posting and reading and you will find so much support and wisdom. SR quite simply saved my life.

SR has been my main support so while I'm not an expert on AA (only been to a few meetings), it sounds like you spoke to the wrong person or misunderstood what was said. Someone with more experience than me will hopefully chime in but I don't believe 'membership' is required and it doesn't matter if you drink every day or every few days if you can't stop once you start.
If you need face to face support, maybe try another meeting or several until you find a good fit?

Here on SR, the March 2017 or April 2017 class is a great place to share experiences with others at the same place in their sobriety journey.
Sending you a Big Hug, you can do this!
Old 04-02-2017, 01:55 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Day 4, here. First time I've ever stopped drinking. Daily drinker for 10 years -- ~15 beers a day for the past couple years.

Stopped cold turkey on Wednesday. Day 4. You can do it too!
Old 04-03-2017, 04:52 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm ashamed to say.....Day 1 again. I know AAs membership says only a sincere desire to quit drinking, and I'm sure it probably was just an individual, but I didn't go back because I didn't want to mess up his process since he needed the meetings for certain and it would feel awkward. I would just go sit in the parking lot and listen to an AA app. But it became apparent that I needed others interaction that is how I got here. This has been helpful and I hope to get to 90 days and beyond.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Hugs to you SimplyFree! Think about what triggered you to drink?
Here is the link to the April class. Your classmates and our wise Dee (moderator) will offer you support & wisdom at all stages of your journey. You can do this.....it all starts with NOT Taking that First Drink.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-one.html

I'll post another link after this that will explain in detail how our bodies metabolize alcohol and that alcohol is really just a legal poison.