Notices

Sobriety and getting in shape simultaneously

Old 03-28-2017, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sobriety and getting in shape simultaneously

So I am VERY newly sober after a relapse. I binge on average 3 nights a week. I decided to sign up for a weight loss program/challenge that is 10 weeks long. It is healthy eating and a group workout of kickboxing or resistance bands 6x a week. I want to get fit again as I have gained 20 lbs in the last yr eating poorly, being lazy and drinking. It is a pretty intense program. Is it dumb of me to do sobriety and this simultaneously? I want to jump start my health and figured the accountability would do me some good. Has anyone else done anything similar?
Old 03-28-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't have been in an shape to do that at day 3. I needed to coddle my body a little for a while... but everyone's different I guess.

If you go ahead, remember those HALT trigger points (Hungry Angry Lonely Tired)

D
Old 03-28-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can only say that for me, I needed to pamper my body in the first couple of months. I did try to eat well, but I didn't deny myself anything either. I had actually lost weight during the last months of my drinking. And, I did start exercising right away, but I began with just daily, long walks, which really helped me. So, I'd say, if you believe your plan will work for you, than go for it, by all means. You know what's best. Just remember to be kind to your body, too.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

About 3 years ago, I signed up for a weight loss challenge hoping it would help me quit drinking. It didn't work. I ended quitting half way through, while I continued to drink. Just my experience, not saying I won't help you.

Not trying to discourge you. Just at the time, I still wanted to drink more than anything, including losing weight.

I don't deny a good exercise program is beneficial to a program of recovery. Of course give it a go, it could be good motivation for you.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluedog97 View Post
About 3 years ago, I signed up for a weight loss challenge hoping it would help me quit drinking. It didn't work. I ended quitting half way through, while I continued to drink. Just my experience, not saying I won't help you.

Not trying to discourge you. Just at the time, I still wanted to drink more than anything, including losing weight.

I don't deny a good exercise program is beneficial to a program of recovery. Of course give it a go, it could be good motivation for you.
I am definitely ready to lose weight and feel better and I want to occupy my time in a healthful manner. I am also sick of drinking and currently am in therapy for it. But a huge part of my self esteem has been slacking and rather than continuing to bury my sorrows with a bottle for the temporary high, I want the natural endorphins.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Excercise pretty much saved my life. It was one of the only things at first that would kill my anxiety. If you are out of shape start super slow and easy and work up to the hard stuff.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think if you're feeling up to it, then go for it. Many people have found fitness to be a huge help in keeping them sober. I know it's been a big help for me personally.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
nmd

I had to wait until after 3 months before starting an exercise or diet program. Besides cravings and minding halt, I would have been just too tired. Since then though I've been exercising 5-6 days a week, and feel great.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If it helps your sobriety, more power to ya! I used to walk my dogs a lot in early sobriety as a way to combat cravings. The walks always made me feel better and I know the dogs loved them too.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think its a great idea. Not sure if going really hard at first is though. When I quit I was way out of shape and could not have done anything intense.

I waited quite a few months to let my body get use to the big change that took place. I started slow and it was tough at first. I think my heart was shocked when I started, lol. Now I exercise everyday. In retrospect I should have started earlier as it has really made a difference with calming my anxiety and with my overall attitude.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I figured I can't feel any worse than I do hungover so I can handle fatigue etc. When I drink, I don't sleep well. I have never been a daily drinker or had physical withdrawals, so I am hoping my body will be up to it.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have found focusing on my healthy diet and working out a great distraction. It's part of my new lifestyle and I love it.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Babescake View Post
I figured I can't feel any worse than I do hungover so I can handle fatigue etc. When I drink, I don't sleep well. I have never been a daily drinker or had physical withdrawals, so I am hoping my body will be up to it.
Everyone's different for sure. I'm 45, drank everyday, and did nothing physical for about 7 years, so I figured slow and easy was a better plan.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Everyone's different; if you were in that kind of workout regimen before, it might be helpful, but I would start out with something less intense - maybe treadmill/swimming/power walking. Your body is gonna go through enough changes without booze; let it calm itself a bit. Concentrate on staying hydrated and eating decently. Get your sleep pattern right, and then you can be a kickboxing beast !
Old 03-28-2017, 09:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I think focusing on something healthy as opposed to something destructive is a good place to be. go slow and go steady. That seems to win the race.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I started working out the same day I quit drinking and credit exercise as the biggest factor in my recovery. I ran 7 miles within 10 days of quitting and a half marathon about 3 weeks later. I didn't try to lose weight, but did anyway. Vigorous exercise is certainly not for everyone early in recovery, but it worked for me.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I suppose you just try it and see.

It might be worth considering addressing the esteem issues by dealing with internal factors and a dressing that alcoholic perspective rather than relying on changing external things. Mind, Body and Spirit and all that jazz.

Dee's thread on making a plan might be useful... http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...y-plans-1.html

Good luck with your weight loss and health kick. But most of all I wish you all the best for your sobriety and recovery.

BB
Old 03-28-2017, 10:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I started Weight Watchers at the same time I stopped drinking. I also upped my exercise routine. Over the next year I lost 40 pounds and felt better physically and mentally. Doing all three things allowed me to focus on a healthy lifestyle and recovery.

You can do the same.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

People with alcohol problems aren't exactly known for moderation, so don't worry about it.

I quit smoking cigarettes six months into quitting drinking, and it couldn't have been a worse idea........but........I haven't had a drink or smoked since.

If you don't drink, your exercise and healthy eating program will do great things for you.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:18 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Exercise was a great stress reliever and distraction for me when I got sober. If you're anything like me though, just a small word of warning. In the first little while of sobriety, I had a tendency to be quite rigid and made an all-out effort to be ultra-disciplined.

If you have the same tendency, and you slip up on your exercise regimen for whatever reason, don't beat yourself up, and be sure not to use it as an excuse to throw out the sobriety 'baby' with the exercise 'bathwater'. In other words, sobriety is the key thing and if you slack off on the exercise, make sure you stay sober!