Notices

Health issues from alcohol

Old 03-27-2017, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Health issues from alcohol

From 21 to 29 I drank everyday, smoked a pack a day, and a few grams of marijuana each week. I got myself to a place where my life was better so I quit smoking about a year ago and cut back on drinking to a few beers on the weekend. Recently I've become more health conscious and started paying more attention to my body. I've noticed I have weak errections, my feet go from freezing cold to sweating, and I have night sweats.
Obviously the alcohol has screwed with my hormones and lowered my testosterone, but I'm worried it's a side effect of cirrhosis. Did anyone here have similar side effects from quitting?
Old 03-27-2017, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site. Alcohol for sure messes with the body including your hormones. For any health concerns, it's best just to book an appointment with your doc. They can look over your concerns from simple blood tests and you can address any issues from there.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The body has an amazing ability to recover ... but that said you need 90 to 365 days sober and health to give your body a chance..
And testosterone levels can be affected by belly fat... belly fat causes estrogen..
Old 03-27-2017, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I doubt seriously that what you're experiencing has anything to do with cirrhosis at all, but like the other posters mentioned, a visit with your Dr won't hurt.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're getting old

The symptoms of liver cirrhosis would have put you in the ER after a heavy drinking episode. That being said, you should probably get a full workup with your general care provider.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

How many is 'a few beers' on the weekend exactly tho?

If you're worried the only real solution is to see your Doctor.

D
Old 03-27-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I will not offer any advice. I suggest you see a doctor. If you are concerned- the best way to go. A little bit of info can be misleading (not to do with any replies here- my experience in self diagnosing/researching).
Old 03-28-2017, 03:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It takes more than a decade to get cirrhosis. I suffer from health anxiety too. A visit to the doc and you will feel like a weight has lifted off your shoulders.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is an interview of Eric Clapton somewhere where he talks about erectile problems after becoming sober. He attributes it to the association of sexual activity with getting high/drunk. The absence of the latter causing short-lived problems. So is it better on the weekend with a few beers? Not in the long run, anyone here will tell you that.

Anyway, it seems you are stressed and worried about your health. I was too (two weeks ago!) and the blood tests and talking to a doctor certainly helped. Make sure to get your LFT (liver function test), SGPT and SGOT - I was told these are the indicators for how your liver is doing. Keep posting!