Notices

Old friend anxiety

Old 03-27-2017, 04:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Old friend anxiety

One week drinking every night, into 1st week sober, at work and huge anxiety, just hit me like a bus feel completely flat, just trying to survive the anxiety at work
Old 03-27-2017, 04:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yep, that's a pretty serious side effect of returning to drinking. It got worse and worse each time for me. Glad you are facing it head on rather than diving deeper into the cycle. Time will help to lessen it. I believe you mentioned in the past that you were taking some anti anxiety meds and seeing a counselor? Have you seen them lately? Might not be a bad idea in light of all that's happened. Stay strong and keep posting.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Cheers Scott, yeah I've had CBT and therapy before, I'm still on anti depressants, going to try and look after myself this week- eat right , exercise, get good sleep
Old 03-27-2017, 08:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Agree with above. A counsellor, maybe a doc? Drinking now- will only intense up the anxiety. Support to you.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've lost faith in support from docs after last few years . Realistically what can they do for me? Other than medication which doesn't seem to help
Old 03-27-2017, 08:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Stewy84 View Post
I've lost faith in support from docs after last few years . Realistically what can they do for me? Other than medication which doesn't seem to help
Anxiety is a very treatable condition, both through therapy and medication, or a combination of both. It took me a couple of attempts to find a good counselor that I could work with. Are you seeing a psychologist/mental health professional or a medical doctor? Medical doctors are not always well versed in mental health issues.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have to second what Scott said. It's amazing how different counselors can be. I know how frustrating it can be to find one that you can connect with, but I hope you keep trying. It cannot be stressed too much how important support is.
Also, I take an anti-depressant and I was told by my doctor that they don't work well if you drink on them. Whenever I drank for long periods of time, I would be dealing with the anxiety you describe. The meds only work if you don't drink. You might want to consult with your doctor regarding something he can prescribe temporarily to help you deal with the anxiety. Toughing it out is really hard. Good luck. John
Old 03-27-2017, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Scott / John, it won't hurt to make an appointment and discuss the issues maybe just see what is available, last time I had therapy I didn't gel with the therapist and it was uncomfortable. The first time was great. Guess it's about accepting what is available
Old 03-27-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just thought I'd share that I agree with all that was stated so far...
- anxiety does get worse the more you drink.
- the right therapist makes a big diff

A trick that can help you right now: ride the wave. Close your eyes and focus on the anxiety. Notice how it makes you're body feel and zone in the exactly where your body feels it.

The more you focus in on it, the smaller it seems. The more you try to ignore it, the louder it gets. It'd a neat trick... Try it.

After focusing on it for a few min, turn your focus to your breath (eyes closed). Take a few normal breaths while all your focus is directed to breathing. Then, take 3 long and deep breaths. Hold your breath for 5 seconds for both the exhale and inhale.

Then open your eyes. You'll feel so much better!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry it's hit you Stewy.

Def go back to the doctor. Anxiety meds can be a fine balance and it may take several tries to find what suits you best. In the meantime, breathing exercises and remembering that it really can't kill you (I really struggled with that one - it felt like it really could stop me breathing, like a boa constrictor ).

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 03-27-2017, 10:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thanks Scott / John, it won't hurt to make an appointment and discuss the issues maybe just see what is available, last time I had therapy I didn't gel with the therapist and it was uncomfortable. The first time was great. Guess it's about accepting what is available
There are a lot of therapists out there and each one has a different style and personality, just like we do. No need to "accept what is out there" either because there are many options.

I personally felt though that I needed to accept my anxiety as a part of me, just as i had to with my alcohlism. There is no magic pill or therapy that will "cure" anxiety - it is part of the fabric of how we were made and who we are. Having said that, by accepting it and treating it appropriately you can greatly minimize/eliminate the bad symptoms, effects.

Last edited by ScottFromWI; 03-27-2017 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks BB, in control, Scott.

Been on anti depressant for some time now, having said that whilst I wasn't drinking for the last couple of years I was stuffing my face with empty calories EVERY night, not looking after myself so probably haven't felt full benefit of medication.

I find myself doing classic avoidance tactics to curb the anxiety which only makes matters worse
Old 03-27-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Eurgh, anxiety.

I take antidepressants which seem to help not only with my depression but my anxiety. The thing is, I drank whilst taking them for years so it's only now I'm sober that I'm actually feeling the effects of the meds.

It's the "sensible" answer that has helped me so far: eating regularly, eating well, taking vitamins and sticking to a sleep schedule. It all sounds very grown-up and boring but it's helping!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks BB, in control, Scott.

Been on anti depressant for some time now, having said that whilst I wasn't drinking for the last couple of years I was stuffing my face with empty calories EVERY night, not looking after myself so probably haven't felt full benefit of medication.

I find myself doing classic avoidance tactics to curb the anxiety which only makes matters worse
I completely understand avoiding situations that create a lot of anxiety. Unfortunately, that just keeps me in a small box and limits my ability to have a full life. Eventually you need to find a way to control the anxiety, not let it control you. I don't say this lightly. I used to be pretty much homebound for a long time. Rarely went out. I had to force myself to step out of that box and take chances. It's a lot easier now but I also accept my limits. I do take a non-narcotic med to help me through tough times. Sometimes, I'll spend a whole day at home just to regroup, but I don't make a habit out of it cause then I'll go back to where I started. But I'm telling you from experience; drinking and the anxiety that comes from it will keep your world small and miserable. Their are many options out there man. John