Notices

Serious Question.....

Old 03-26-2017, 01:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nipidus

Serious Question.....

I am new to this forum and I literally just signed up minutes ago... I need somewhere to get help from others I think who have gone through it. I am working on quitting alcohol entirely because it's not good for me and I know it and I feel so ashamed at my own addiction I literally hide the bottles I buy coming into my home and hide them in my room so no one knows I have them.
However, I am already working on quitting tobacco really soon been reducing and planning this for a while now so I'm close to that sober date if you want to call it that. Anyone here have experience or advice whether I should quit both at the same time or work a ways into the already planned tobacco quitting while more slightly reducing alcohol consumption in the mean time or try to quit both at the same time.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
All is Change

I once quit alcohol, tobacco and coffee at the same time. I think the withdrawals of the alcohol masked withdrawals from the others and made that easier.
This last time I quit I quit alcohol and coffee but kept smoking. I found when I did quit smoking that it was a bigger deal and I think I should have quit all at same time.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Nip. There is a lot of info on making a sobriety plan in the sticky's/newcomers. You will need to decide on what is right for you. Alcohol has the more immediate destructive effects to self and others, for me. Keep posting. There are threads in the newcomer's forum- including one for checking in every 24 and the Class of March 2017 you may care to join. Keep looking and posting. Well done on sharing. A good start.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me one triggered the other. I went back and forth for a while. If I drank I wanted to smoke and vice versa. I didn't really have any physical symptoms once I quit cigarettes, I had already quit drinking for a while and had been smoking maybe two a day for years. There was a bit of a psychological struggle.

Alcohol nailed me this last time, this is my second round of sobriety. It was physically harder to stop, and mentally a pretty big struggle for a few months.

You'll be glad if they are both gone. I say do both at once. Like tomorrow. No lead up, just be done.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nipidus

Thanks I'll take a look at the plans and take a look at the 24 hour thing
Old 03-26-2017, 01:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Nipperz! You have come to the right place. We all have been through as you put it. Many different levels of despair and addiction. Pretty much someone around to help. Good luck and keep coming back
Old 03-26-2017, 01:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel differently than the other posts- though I do think you have to think about what works best for you.

I quit alcohol first, it was the most urgent need. I continued to smoke. I felt a million times better when I quit drinking- happy, healthy, energetic.

When i then quit smoking I have a new surge of energy and feelings of health.

I think quitting them separately allowed me to appreciate the benefits of quitting each, rather than just feeling better all at once.

Does that make any sense?
Old 03-26-2017, 01:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Nipperz

Like some have said, my addictions intertwined so I gave up both at once.
Made more sense to me that way.

You'll have to make the choice of which way makes sense to you

D