Notices

I need encouragement

Old 03-26-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Hi LucyJane, You can do it! I am approaching 5 years and did it using this site and these people as my crutch. So can you.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi LucyJane - I'm not actually in AA but this will answer some of your questions

Your First AA Meeting<
Old 03-26-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

yes you can go while holding a baby. Absolutely.
be prepared for someone else to want to hold that baby, though.

closed meetings are for those identifying as alcoholics, so if that's you, go. no matter what the topic.
try not to run away right when the meeting is finished...if you stick around a bit, you will likely meet some people willing to connect.
and if you can, go a bit early and let whoever is there know you're new and looking for help.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks to you both. I'm going to try to go tomorrow night. Just need to get up the guts.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome Good on you for telling your husband. Just wanted to chime in re kids in AA meetings - it happens all the time. I'd go as far to say at least 50% of the meetings I've been to have had children either in the room or playing outside waiting. AA folk tend to be a friendly loving bunch, so I'm sure they'll love to ooh and ahh over a little bub.
Glad you're here Lucyjane
Old 03-26-2017, 08:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Can your husband keep the baby with him while you go?
Old 03-26-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Lucy! You are already off to a great start by posting on here, not drinking today, and telling your husband.

Most of us felt just like you do right now when we decided we were ready to get sober. This site has been my biggest resource, especially the 24 hour thread, which is a great place to check in each day and commit to another 24 hours sobriety. The monthly classes are also great. You should join the March 2017 class, it helps to have the support of others who are at the same point in their recovery.

Looking forward to seeing you on here!
Old 03-27-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks to you all. I think I'll just bring my son since my husband will be working and you all have made me feel comfortable doing so.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Try it. It's not scary. I'm very new to AA but all you have to do is walk in and find a chair and sit in it. Nothing is required of you and you will never find more welcoming and kind people.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lucyjane View Post
Earlier today I was decided. I was going to come clean tomorrow. Announce myself as an alcoholic and change my life. I wanted to drink one more time.
Please do it.

I told myself so many time over the last few years that this would be my last drink and tomorrow I would confess all and face up to the problem. 18 days ago I finally followed through and it has changed everything. Being honest has been the first step for me, I have nowhere to hide now and I'm not alone. I can't tell you how powerful that is.

I wish you the strength you need to tell this uncomfortable truth. I promise it is worth it.

Let us know how you get on.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome LJ. To this place, and to an amazing new look at life.

Good luck at your meeting tomorrow. I joined this forum a week or so before going to my first one I think. I will be scary walking through the door. No two ways about it. Everyone remembers their first meeting though, so they will all appreciate just how you're feeling.

I'd suggest taking some tissues if you're an emotional sort. Lots of us have a few tears at our first meeting - mostly from the relief of other people saying things that we identify with. Things that we thought was only us that felt or thought. I felt years of isolation get their corner knocked at my first meeting, and it was scary and yet hopeful at the same time. Don't know if that makes any sense.

Anyway. Let us know how you get on. We'll be rooting for you.

Wishing you all the best for your sobriety and recovery. BB
Old 03-27-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I went. I had tears streaming down my face the whole time and said almost nothing but I listened. I left with a numbers list, promises of check ins and a ton of hugs. It was hard though. It made all of this feel very real. I'm a little overwhelmed right now. I have a lot to sit with.

Thanks for encouraging me to go.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

LJ, I'm glad you found the meeting helpful. It's always a relief to find others who have been thru the same things.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:25 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

hey Lj, good stuff!

being hit by the real reality and not drowning it out isa good start. the only start, really.

yes. lots to sit with.
congratulations on following through!
Old 03-27-2017, 09:39 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Glad it went well and you have lots of numbers. Please try to use a few of them, if only to check in - it might just be a text saying thanks for their support and you're sober today. Asking people about other meetings is always good as well. If we get used to talking to people when we're not desperate for help, then if and when that time comes it is much easier to pick up the phone.

I find the speaker recordings handy between meetings, and did especially so when first sober. This is the site I use for them... http://www.recoveryaudio.org/ It's all completely free, and there is a section for newcomers to save trawling about finding what would be useful.

Keep reading and posting here, and letting the fellowship of AA support you locally and you'll be giving yourself a great chance for sobriety and recovery.

All the best. BB