Notices

Hi. I'm new here

Old 03-25-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm new here

Hi.

Im new to all this and I'm just dipping my toe in the water and looking around. I didn't want to be a creeper so I thought I'd put my hand up. Divorced mother of 2 struggling to get by in NYC with a long standing hunch that I may be an alcoholic. I have recently cut back and or been completely sober and it has been a struggle. I want to hear how everyone else does it and if they felt as poop as I do.

Thanks for reading.

HC
Old 03-25-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome HC

Its normal not to feel great at first, but I hope you'll feel better soon

Have you completely stopped drinking now?

D
Old 03-25-2017, 05:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello HC, welcome to SR

I couldn't moderate at all. I just had to quit. It's hard no doubt. But if you put together a good plan and stick to it I know you can do it. It's worth all the hard work. Again glad to meet you
Old 03-25-2017, 05:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I hope that you decide to stop drinking.

You will feel better before long.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome HC. Poop- yep. Read around the different threads. Keep posting. With no drinking, it does get better.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Dee, Hi all,

I didn't drink today or yesterday but I feel depressed! Is that common?
Old 03-25-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
2/2016

Absolutely, for me it was. I was tired, short-tempered, bored, all over the place. It gets so much better.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi HC! I'm just north of you in CT. I'm a mom too and things got out of hand with my drinking. I tried to regulate for years but finally faced the fact 10 days ago that I need to quit for good. I've found this site invaluable thus far. I'm on it constantly and feel so much better that I'm not alone in my journey. There is so much support here. Hope you stick around!
Old 03-25-2017, 06:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome HC.

I felt very strange & disoriented in the beginning. I'd been drinking for many years & wasn't used to feeling real emotions or having normal reactions. I was grateful to be free of it though - & soon the hopes for a better life took over. We're glad you're here. What you're feeling sounds completely normal. Be proud of yourself.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family HC. It took me a while, but I finally got sober for good over seven years ago and my life has never been better. It takes some effort and changes but it's worth it. It's normal in early recovery to feel moody and irritable. Stay sober and it will get better.

What I did to feel better overall was to practice gratitude every day. At first it was hard, but the more I count my blessings, the more blessings there are to count!
Old 03-25-2017, 07:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just love your avatar name. Lol. And chuckled when you said creeper too. Love your personality so far!

Alcohol causes an increase of dopamine (feel happy). Drink enough, and your body stops producing it on its own. When you stop, you get depressed before you get better.

The brain does not immediately start pumping dopamine on its own. Takes a short bit.

Doesn't work exactly like that, but that's how I understand it. Has more to do with an increase of dopamine receptors and your body always trying to reach homeostasis.

The best thing you can do is eat healthy, take vitamins, and exercise for 20min a day for 3-4 days a week. Makes a HUGE difference. You might not feel like exercise. I get it. But man... It really does help big time.

And here's a pro tip: dark chocolate. The higher the cocoa %, the better it works. May taste like bark, but it works.