Notices

It's true... Problems are easier when sober

Old 03-25-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's true... Problems are easier when sober

I found that when I was drinking, I could escape pain, depression, and stress while I was drunk.

The problem was, I would not work to process those emotions, or work to resolve them. Ultimately, those feelings were there waiting for me to sober up.

As days continued, my problems grew. Nothing was being resolved. I was not processing anything in a way that would let me resolve, or even accept, my problems.

There came a point where I needed to be drunk all day, every day, to bury my issues. This is where my bottom manifested. The weight of all my problems compounded to the point where nothing would keep the stress or pain at bay.

It wasn't until I stopped drinking that I was able to start processing and resolving problems. The best solution is to deal with them so they go away. They do NOT go away on their own.

I'm coming up on two years sober. And in that time, not only did I move past the issues that lead me to become an all day drunk, but I've been able to resolve new issues as they arise.

I post this because I'm in the middle of a huge problem now. And I'm just realizing how differently I'm handling it. And I'm just realizing how thankful I am that I have resolved old issues permanently rather than trying to drown them. I really don't think I could of handled this issue on top of what I had going on before this. No way.

At the peak of my drinking, I was finding out first hand that my problems were not going away. I started reading posts here from others who were experiencing the same issues. And I read stories from those who were able to get their lives back and take the reins again.

Life IS better sober. If for no other reason than the fact that life's problems and issues do not compound. A problem arises, you work through it, it goes away. Simple as that.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Inc,

Being a drunk is a fantasy world. I was heavily physically addicted.

I pretended sometimes I was a rock star. This is how they roll.

Living everyday w a hangover. Special days called for morning drinking.

The booze enhanced all my obsessions w issues. I would begin to stress the minute work was over. Sometimes I would start drinking in my driveway w my fresh bottle.

Getting out of that rut was very difficult.

Today I am a bit high on Benadryl. When I was drinking, I would be worried about taking allergy meds due to the interaction. So, I would suffer. I would be sick.

My drunk buddy is interested in quitting, but his addiction has a strong hold on him. I don't push it. Yesterday, a work day, he was still drunk from the night before. He was falling asleep at work. Stumbling around. He looked like living hell.

But, by the time quitting time came around, he was happy as a lark. Ready to start drinking ASAP. He thinks he has a death wish, but really it is addiction.

If he could only get clean for a while, he would love the feeling of being physically free of booze.

I try to live my life as an example of what sobriety offers. He might want what I have. I got that from AA.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post. I don't have your sober time, but I agree with what you said. Getting sober doesn't mean you won't have problems. It means you can deal with them. Congrats on almost 2 years.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I completely agree, I woikd drink to relieve stress, however, the stress was just worse the next day. Thanks for sharing such an insightful post.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that IC
and congrats on your upcoming milestone.

D
Old 03-25-2017, 04:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I love this post! It's so true. Everything was a thousand times harder when I was drinking.

This is my favorite line from your post:
A problem arises, you work through it, it goes away. Simple as that.
It didn't seem possible when I was drinking, but it is the absolute truth.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 03-25-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Very inspiring post, inc. Congratulations on your upcoming two years.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Such a great insightful post, Incontrol. I'm still mopping up the problems I tried to 'deal' with by drinking (only to bury them deeper, unresolved and allow them to fester and erupt).

Although a few problems still exist, it's such a relief to deal with them sober, with the benefit of all my faculties and courage intact.

Congratulations on your imminent 2 years, that's awesome.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My problems start diminishing rapidly after sobering up for a couple weeks. I can't wait to see what comes with continuous sobriety. I'm beginning to feel like anything is possible.

17 days today. (I chose 3/14 as my sobriety date because that's Pi Day, but really day 1 was 3/13)
Old 03-29-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Awesome post. Struck a nerve with me. Thank you for sharing it.