Notices

Evening

Old 03-24-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
TLR

Evening

Not sure where to start, but know I need some help!

Heavy drinker for a long time and know it's doing me some serious damage.

I probably drink 16 to 20 units of alcohol a day. The only saving grace is I work a 3 week on 3 week off rotation which means I can't drink for my time at work. I make up for it when I'm at home though!

It has been a quiet start to the year so not managed to get away with no drink for any substantial length of time for the last 3 months. Sat here with a pain on my right side - liver I presume telling me to have a rest, alas the drink seems to numb the pain.

I have no issues with a forced giving up drink, but when home I seem to can't stop drinking. Never pissed, but as I have time in the day it tends to be constant from mid afternoon.

Live in the UK so would be good to know somewhere to turn to, or advice as to how to reduce / stop my drinking when at home.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The first port of call- your liver suggests to me see your doctor- and no more drinking. Can you get to an AA meeting? Organise to see an alcohol addiction counsellor. Start a sobriety plan- there is info in the Sticky's.
Support to you.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome! I'm glad you posted. It's scary when we want to stop drinking, but can't. I know you will find lots of support here and you can post anytime of the day or night. We have lots of members from the UK so there is always someone around.

Following is a link with lots of ideas for recovery programs and tips:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 03-24-2017, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TLR

I head back to work in a few days for 3 weeks away, then only have a week off before going away for another 3 weeks. Good for my health and a great way not to drink as there is no way to get alcohol.

I look forward to being at work so I can't drink, just would like some balance for when I'm at home. First thing I do is have a drink, and don't stop until I head back to work,

Seeing a doctor is a good idea, but past a medical last month. May have upped the blood pressure medication myself to make sure I passed.

AA probably wouldn't work with me, I live fairly remote and often away with work and recreation. The localish alcohol support group has just been slatted as know one were qualified, I has going to pay them a visit.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TLR

Thanks Anna, will read that tomorrow.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you with us, TLR. I'm glad you're taking a hard look at what drinking does to your life. It took me too long to admit I was no longer in control once it was in my system. Bad things happened. SR helped me find the courage to change my life. I think it will help you to be here. Welcome!
Old 03-24-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi TLR.

I was drinking about that much straight gin, 7 days a week.

First I had to completely 100% decide that I wanted to stop. I didn't know if I could stop, but it's what I wanted. I was afraid for my life.

You say
just would like some balance for when I'm at home. First thing I do is have a drink, and don't stop until I head back to work,
For me personally I can't balance alcohol. I *will* drink, unless I absolutely *do not* drink.

Right now, if you're home, pour out all your alcohol.

Then, as soon as you want to have a drink, don't. Repeat.

Keep posting!
Old 03-24-2017, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi TLR - welcoem

if the problems only when you're home there should be amble opportunity to carve out a little time to work on your recovery daily - whether it's here at SR, AA or some other meeting based group, counseling or a combination of several things?

If you want change - make changes

D