Notices

New to Sober recovery

Old 03-24-2017, 06:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to Sober recovery

Hi there I'm Susie. I am currently on day 5 of no wine. Disappointed my daughter far too many times - the last time being Sunday 19th March. She has been over my ex-husbands ever since. Apart from going to work I have just curled up in bed watching tv as I have been suffering with anxiety/depression. Just can't get rid of a dull ache in my chest. I know my daughter still loves me and need to give her a bit of time to trust me again but patience is not my strong point.
I work shifts so can't drink every day anyway and on my days off she is normally with me and this is my time to relax (and drink wine).
Things have to change - I'm still thinking of that bottle of wine but I hope in time I can learn to spend my time living my life with no alcohol instead of just existing.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by Susiegirl View Post
I hope in time I can learn to spend my time living my life with no alcohol instead of just existing.
You will. There is a life after alcohol. In my case, a wonderful, fulfilling life free from the obsession to drink. But it takes time and it can be very uncomfortable in the beginning. Stay the course. Giving in to alcohol only sets you back and dumps loads of guilt and remorse on you.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome SusieGirl-

Sorry about your daughter. Don't beat yourself up. The best thing you did was make a decision to change.

Like you, I loved my wine! Unfortunately, I didn't know when to stop and it lead me down a dark and dreary path. One without hope, filled with constant shame, feeling like hell every morning I got out of bed to face the day (if I actually made it out of bed).

You will find a lot of inspiration and support here. You've come to the right place! Keep posting!
Old 03-24-2017, 07:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Susie, it's so great that you've come to this realization - it's not easy to make big life changes, but your heart is in the right place. Your daughter will forgive you :-)
Old 03-24-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, you will find lots of support here!
Old 03-24-2017, 07:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you decide to stop drinking and allow your daughter to see the changes you will make in your life. We are here to support you.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know I won't drink tonight as I'm working until 3am - I will do this for myself and prove myself to my daughter. It may take time but I'll get there.
The next test for me will be Monday 28th march - my first day and evening off so will have to plan to do something not involving alcohol !!!
Old 03-24-2017, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's worth putting some thought into, Susiegirl: think about the all things, no matter how tiny, that could make that a time well-spent for you, and carry out some of them
Old 03-24-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Dearest Susiegirl,
You have just done the BEST thing you could possibly do for your daughter. She will now see that change IS possible, even in the most challenging circumstances. Just think, she will one day look at you and say " my mom is the bravest and strongest woman I ever knew" . Just hold on to that. Be proud. Hugs.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are all so kind and supportive - thank you xxx
Old 03-24-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to have you join us Susiegirl

D
Old 03-24-2017, 05:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! I have 8 days now without wine and am also dealing with "mom guilt." Whenever I feel myself getting sad about all the times I've let my kids down, I try to remind myself that slowly, I will be the mom they deserve. Present with them in the moment and no more wastest time passing out and nursing hangovers. We'll get there! Meanwhile, I've been trying my hardest to fill those times when I typically drink with other activities. I'm finding that planning ahead works wonders. The cravings are still there but easier to deal with when I'm busy.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 03-24-2017, 06:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

welcome Susie. your at the the right place . Folks here have been thru what you are going thru and can help. constant alcohol use as a "highly functioning " drinker definitely affected the relationship I had with my kids. However, once we make the decision to stop drinking , time and sobriety heals the relationships and develops them in ways you probably never imagine. Stay close and reach out to anyone here at any time. Welcome.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy to meet you, Susie. You sound ready to do this - we know you can. Keep posting & reading. We want to help.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you for all your welcomes! Day 6 and working nights tonight so won't be drinking.
I keep eating rubbish though. Crisps and chocolate - is this normal? Apart from my wine I normally eat quite healthily.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Normal-yep
Old 03-25-2017, 09:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hope it stops soon - lol x
Old 03-25-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Susie - the eating thing is a big issue with us. Alcohol having so much sugar, sugar is addictive, so we tend to replace it with sweet foods. What works for me is fresh fruit, espesh oranges and grapes. Greek yogurt is another favorite.

Drinking took up such a big part of our lives, and without it, finding constructive, non-drinking activities to fill that time can be a challenge. I got back into drawing and reading, as well as hitting my treadmill. Exercise is a wonderful high, and a more real one.

Stay strong and stay connected.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome Susiegirl