Notices

Anxiety

Old 03-24-2017, 03:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

Not a stranger on this site. Tried several times to stay sober. Each one is a small victory. Last bout of drinking was particularly bad. I went over a year drinking about a bottle of whisky a day. Sober now, day 30. Didn't need pills or anything this time round. Had some experiences that I've had before, like dreams where I've gotten drunk and woken up feeling like I'm guilty and have a hangover.

What's really weird is that in the last 2-3 days, anxiety attacks have hit me like a tonne of bricks. I'm getting really bad anxiety, almost like what a withdrawal would feel like but I can be withdrawing, haven't had a drink in ages. Not sure how I can manage. Barely slept at all in the last few days. It's really funny because things were pretty good for the first 3 weeks, sleep ok, no anxiety attacks.

Anyone have any ideas why this is happening now?
Old 03-24-2017, 04:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Congrats on 30 days, PJ.

That does seem strange that your anxiety would pick up after 30 days sober. I can't really say why that might happen. Have you talked to a doctor?

What do you do to get through a period of increased anxiety? Do you do some breathing exercises or something?
Old 03-24-2017, 05:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ive often felt the first 30 days are fueled by adrenaline to suceed. Once the adrenaline wears off it would seem normal that your anxiety might ramp up a bit.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Pricey,

In my experience...I had anxiety for months....still get little attacks now. That is normal.

But...they have gotten better and better. Easier to deal w. And of shorter duration. Plus, nobody knows. It's all in your head.

I believe I am of a normal brain status now. 23 months clean.

If you are afraid of anything...fear picking up the drink again.

You can bet the farm that drinking will not help fix those attacks.

They get worse and worse.

Only clean time makes things better.

Booze is poison for us drunks. Respect and fear it. Don't believe the hype.

We are not normal drinkers.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Qft ^
Old 03-24-2017, 05:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you worrying about something, are you replaying your past or having fear about the future?

It was hard for me to wrangle my thoughts in early days. I got a lot better at about four months, but it took an entire year to feel like my anxiety was truly gone.

Hang on, stay in the moment. Be where your feet are. Slow breaths, through the nose.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your body is going through a lot of changes and it will be for a while, so to have anxiety isn't unusual. Are you an anxious person in general?
Old 03-25-2017, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days! Anxiety is very normal 30 days in. Are you experiencing any other withdrawal symptoms? Today I am 190 days sober. Besides my memory still worrying me, one of the only withdrawal symptoms still present is my anxiety. The good news is that will get better the longer you stay sober. For me it took a good 6 months before I noticed a significant improvement in my anxiety.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm around 30 days too and my anxiety is way down...... however I just recently had a panic attack after dealing with the past. There is a reason that I drank the way I did and without drinking to numb my feelings they can be pretty intense. Is there something similar going on with you? I just let myself feel it and it passed. But it was like a wave that just crashed over me at the time.....
Old 03-25-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anxiety is hard to deal with and it can hit unexpectedly. My anxiety is much more manageable now I no longer drink alcohol, but it's still there. I have found some very helpful books on the topic. You might like to check these out:

Amen, Daniel Change Your Brain, Change Your Life

Bassett, Lucinda From Panic to Power

Burns, David MD When Panic Attacks

Chodron, Pema The Places That Scare You

Doidge, Norman MD The Brain That Changes Itself

Dyer, Wayne The Power of Intention and Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life

Orsilla, Ken Mindful way Through Anxiety
Old 03-25-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi i have anxiety from time to time too. Someday's are worse then others. One thing that has really helped me is exercise. I try to do something active at least once a day. I also drink peppermint tea which can have a calming effect. Try taking supplements that are high in Magnesium as that help with anxiety.
Good Luck!