Notices

Having a really hard time today.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Having a really hard time today.

I've had such a great week with work and personal life for which I'm thankful! But all of a sudden I feel so sad and emotional. Have no reason to be sad. I don't understand these feelings.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cjohn31 View Post
I've had such a great week with work and personal life for which I'm thankful! But all of a sudden I feel so sad and emotional. Have no reason to be sad. I don't understand these feelings.
I have a thread pretty much on the same subject matter. Sometimes it just happens. I know that answer doesn't help much but it's true. I feel anxious today and there is absolutely no reason why. It sucks.

Try to find something to do that makes you feel good or will take your mind off of how your feeling.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I hear you, life is full of up's and down's.. just the way it is. And not always explainable. Still, without the down's there would be no up

Sending good vibes your way! Hope you feel better soon
Old 03-23-2017, 12:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't stress man, not sure how long you've been sober, but it happens. Emotions start bubbling to the surface after being suppressed for so long. Totally natural and normal.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If you are in early sobriety, your brain is still adjusting. You might feel some emotions more acutely. Maybe try to distract yourself with some activity you enjoy; something that engages the brain or frees the brain. Meditation is good. Listening to music is good.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
totfit

I think there is always some letdown after a great week, or any time our mood is elevated for a period of time. Things just don't keep getting better and naturally our emotions ebb. For me the best think I can do is a quick inventory. Am I just tired-maybe I need rest, thirsty or hungry-drink or eat, just sluggish-get some exercise. If there is nothing at hand I can do, the best thing I can do is just accept it for what it is and relax. There is nothing wrong typically, other than we just naturally have up and down moods. It will always get better, then worse, then better, then worse.......just natural.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried to remember both my mind and body needed to heal after years of abuse.

The rollercoaster of emotions is part of that....but it will end, and you'll find a new emotional norm.

Hang in there - it gets better Cjohn

D
Old 03-23-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep went through the same thing Cjohn. It used to happen a lot. Watch a sad movie or here a sad song and my emotions would take a dive. As the others said it all evens out given time.

I always thought it was a far trade though. Yeah there is some bad days on the road to sobriety but man I love the good sober days. I fell happier than I have in decades.😀
Old 03-23-2017, 05:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sometimes I need reminding that even on bad days, if I stay sober it's a win. One day at a time.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just want to thank all of you so much! Hearing your stories about how you all went through the same thing helps so much. Thank you! I did make it through and would rather have a few bad days then go back to living in a complete hell.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Here's one more person to say the same exact thing happened to me. After decades of using alcohol to handle my emotions, I had to learn to live & cope in a different (& normal) way. I was all over the place early on - but it all settled down. It's wonderful to be free. We're proud of you, Cjohn.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cjohn31 View Post
It is normal and it will pass! I had a pretty great first few months of sobriety, which included a vacation. That was great and on returning home, I felt on top of the world for a few weeks, nothing bothered me, I had a great perspective on life. Then my mood changed, and life happened, and the usual worries and stresses of work crept back in. I started to get discouraged. BUT I remembered that drinking was way worse, and these are just normal emotions I have to learn to deal with sober. I also consulted my toolbox and added in a little extra self care, forced myself to use some of my tools to get me through.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Emotions are real, painful or joyful or in between.
Alcohol is artificial, and at some point it becomes pure pain.
In my humble opinion anything real is better than anything artificial; that could be the best part of not drinking.
I try to embrace my emotions, not merely tolerate the "bad" ones hoping they will go away soon.