Notices

new here

Old 03-23-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new here

hey guys,

dont know if this is the right place to post this.

cant sleep today...... since my dad lost his job that he has been drinking. and keeps arguing with my mom...

u know, it's also her fault, she's being too harsh on him... but still. I'm worried that he his becoming addicted. and sometimes when he drinks he gets a bit violent. never got physical that I know of... but it worries me...

I'm 22 btw. What should I do? talk to him? report him when he starts shouting?

Is there any good website to guide me on this? maybe about early signs of starting to become a alcoholic?

thanks in advance
Old 03-23-2017, 04:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome AlexSantos!

Sorry to hear about your parents, when he is sober you could say to him that violence is never acceptable and that you would report him if he became violent. You can also tell how disappointing his behaviour is.

That said if he is to change then it would have to come from within himself, it cannot be done solely to please others.

If you look on the list there is a forum headed "Friends and Families..." which you might find helpful as i'm sure there will be others there in a similar situation.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

You know, an honest conversation with him might be good. Don't confront him the night of a bender unless you absolutely have to. The morning after would be a good time to bring it up. Course you know the man better than I, so you will know if this may or may not be productive. I would always start with the lowest threat way to get someone's attentions. That may be all it takes. Wish you all well.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Safety first. Then get some advice from a professional. Support to you.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys,

Let's see, I'm going to have a chat with him... Things are not easy here... Losing his job really brought him down, but these things happen to everyone...
Old 03-23-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure what you mean by 'sometimes when he drinks he gets a bit violent. never got physical that I know of... but it worries me...'

As long as you feel safe to do so, I hope you can have a good honest talk with your Dad.

It may not change anything but, if you feel it's worth a try, go for it

Hope he finds another job soon.

D