Notices

First Post

Old 03-22-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Post

Hi,

I stopped drinking 10 days ago and stopped smoking 8 days ago. I have drank and smoked for nearly 1/3 century - sounds scary when I put it like that - all my adult life!

I was pretty much at the stage of chain smoking (where ever I could smoke) and would drink a bottle of wine (on average) every evening. I say 'evening' - it was pretty much the minute I set foot through the door after finishing work.

I decided that for my sake, and for the sake of my kids I needed to take a long hard look at my life and make some drastic changes, otherwise I really felt that I wasn't going to be around for much longer.

I don't know what it is like to be 'normal', i.e a person who doesn't poison themselves on a daily basis. I expect my recovery road to be a long one, but I am excited about what it will bring. It took many years to get this far into this forest of addiction.. it may take some time to get out!
Old 03-22-2017, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome aboard, you've found a great place for support.
And congratulations on ten and eight days, that's a great start.
I drank for over thirty years, too.
And it took me a long time to quit, but it doesn't have to be that way for you. All of us are different.
Whichever, it can be done.
At the end of my drinking career I was drinking most every day. All day and night. Whiskey at 9am beer all day and night. The worst of it lasted ten years.

I've been sober over six years now so even a bad drunk like myself can recover. You can do it, too. And you're off to a great start.
Best to you and keep up the good work.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
totfit

Welcome and congratulations. You are off to a great start. A wise decision to quit smoking also. While not the most immediate issue sometimes, smoking kills more alcoholics than drinking. Hang in there and remember that this is a quality of life issue. We only have one chance at this, so why not make the best.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello, and welcome.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, bimbott; so glad you found us.

Have a look around the site; give special attention to the 'stickies' at the top of each forum, especially the Newcomers', Newcomers' Daily Support and Alcoholism forums. Thete is a wealth of information there.

I will post a couple of links to some great threads in a minute.

Sobriety truly rocks!
Old 03-22-2017, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As promised:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...0-a.html<br />

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...art-222-a.html
Old 03-22-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bimbott View Post
Hi,

I stopped drinking 10 days ago and stopped smoking 8 days ago. I have drank and smoked for nearly 1/3 century - sounds scary when I put it like that - all my adult life!

I was pretty much at the stage of chain smoking (where ever I could smoke) and would drink a bottle of wine (on average) every evening. I say 'evening' - it was pretty much the minute I set foot through the door after finishing work.

I decided that for my sake, and for the sake of my kids I needed to take a long hard look at my life and make some drastic changes, otherwise I really felt that I wasn't going to be around for much longer.

I don't know what it is like to be 'normal', i.e a person who doesn't poison themselves on a daily basis. I expect my recovery road to be a long one, but I am excited about what it will bring. It took many years to get this far into this forest of addiction.. it may take some time to get out!
I think you have the right attitude. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Welcome!
Old 03-22-2017, 10:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Another:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...highlight=Psst
Old 03-22-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the new world. All I can add is be patient with yourself. It took 1/3 century to get this way, don't expect to be like a spring chicken right away. Give it time cause it takes time for your body to normalize. Just don't lose faith or give up.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Congratulations on your 10 days, Bimbott. I numbed myself on a daily basis too. It was wonderful to eliminate it from my life. I felt a bit disoriented at first, but that quickly changed to excitement for the future. We're so glad you are here.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
For Grace

I like your attitude! We're lucky to have y. And by now you are probably in double digit days ... next goal is triple. Keep it up!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 03-22-2017, 06:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome BB. You've come to a very supportive site. I credit this site for my continuing sobriety.

I'm glad you joined us.