Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Physical changes in these last 10 months (this is what got me here)

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 05:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So, here's a bit of a different spin on things. It may be superficial, but this is what got me here three years ago on my first, and very short-lived, quit. I was googling in hopes of anticipating changes post-alcohol. People reported the terra cotta effect going away, etc.

So, I thought I'd report the good and the not so good. It's been ten months.

When I first came out of the hospital, I was so weak from vitamin deficiency. I thought I was in my forties, and it was the first time in a while that i didn't have alcohol-fueled energy, so I just thought it was age. I couldn't get up without hoisting myself up.

Luckily, that went away and I'm fine now. Other things that I suffered from at the end--extreme bruising, reddish-orange face, bloodshot eyes, dry skin, very brittle and thin hair (I did think that the hair thing was age related and that I'd done myself in).

Things that improved, but took awhile:

At my age, it is hard to tell if things are just slowing down due to age, or if it was alcohol. I figured the hair problem was alcohol. My hair was so thin and wispy. It was really disheartening. It did take a full six months or more and some cuts to have my hair completely back. Nails and body are stronger. No more aches and pains from severe lack of calcium. There's also no more side pain, irregular bowel movements or lack of bowel movements for weeks on end.

The things that took a dive:

I know I shouldn't complain because I'm healthy again, but I will anyway. I had really reached the end stages. Some people on here talk about having gained weight because they were pigging out after drinking, getting the munchies, etc. Oh, yeah. I was there. The first summer I went into the hospital (2015), I was 150 (slightly above average for me) and I was eating poorly as many have attested.

Well, last summer, I'd truly reach a low in terms of weight (I hover around 145, ideal weight is 130). I was all of 119 (high school weight). I hated it. I could not eat. I seriously had NO appetite and I actually wished for the problems I normally have (being too hungry, eating junk, etc.). I was skin and bones, but I looked good (I know this because things fit nicely, I got a lot of compliments and I looked younger). I did enjoy that part (well, I was mostly too drunk to care). But, when I came out of the hospital on June 18th and began to care, I got a whole new wardrobe. I really enjoyed it! I had fasted into fathom though.

Now I'm up to 150. I'm really sad about that and I'm trying to do something about it.

Well, that's just a little update for people who are wondering about what happens physically when you stop.