Notices

Need to quit drinking!

Old 03-21-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to quit drinking!

Hi there. I'm trying to quit drinking because almost every time I drink it gets out of control, especially lately. It's like I don't know how to stop drinking. I keep going until I make VERY bad choices and become mentally and physically abusive to my boyfriend. I get behind in school and feel like crap at work. I'm becoming very out of shape and I'm beginning to worry about my physical health. When I drink I also smoke like a chain smoker. It's a really bad cycle. I need to quit drinking. I keep saying it an trying to but I keep turning back to the bottle because I've lied to myself and said that I had things under control. I'm ready to quit drinking, I won't drink tonight, but I'm not sure I can keep myself from going back to old habits. I hope that this forum provides me some support and I can't wait to get to know all of you in our mission to be sober.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Wemzemz - welcome and this is a great place to come for support, shoulders to lean on, whatever you need to get and stay sober. It's not easy, I can attest to that, since I'm back on Day One again. But part of my going back to drinking has been not reaching out to others; not relying on the support of people on this site; not really listening and doing what I need to do. You can do this, you know you van. It's just as easy as we'd like. Hang in there, I'm on this mission with you. -Pips
Old 03-21-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Pips!

Day one for me also again. Last week I went 4 days without a drink. It's scary to think of that as impressive because it's just 4 days, but it's better than my One today.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to a friendly, encouraging place wemzyemz.

I drank all my life & couldn't imagine doing without it - even though it was bringing me nothing but misery. It changed my personality too - I became someone I didn't recognize when I drank. I was in the process of destroying everything good in my life. Being able to talk about it here made all the difference. We're glad you joined us.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.
I drank as you describe. Until it got even worse and I was drinking and chain smoking most every day.
I needed help. I found it here and in AA. I've seen friends die and I still couldn't stop. Finding people like me, in my dire situation, saved me.

I never gave up trying to quit, and believe me, I failed miserably many, many times before I was able to quit, or get a daily reprieve.
Save yourself some misery, and the nightmare I went through, and do whatever you need to, to stop. It may take action like taking the big step you have by coming here and admitting you have a problem.

Best to you, and keep coming back.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You will find lots of support on here, and the days will start to add up. Join us each day on the 24 hour thread, it is a great community filled with support, and you can commit to 24 hours.

You should also join the March 2017 class, having others at the same point in recovery really helps.

You can do this!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 12:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 03-22-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!

Originally Posted by wemzyemz View Post
I'm not sure I can keep myself from going back to old habits.
Spoken like a true addict. (I know, because I am one!)

Of course you CAN. The question is WILL you.
You are going to feel like drinking again even though you know it's the wrong thing to do. What will you do when that happens?

Make a plan.
Work the plan.

Best of Luck on Your Journey.