Notices

Sick and tired of being sick and tired

Old 03-21-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick and tired of being sick and tired

I make it 3 or 4 days now without a drink .. its hard but I can make it that far if I really want to .. then in a single moment I stop caring and go buy beer.

I used to drink every single day .. but now due to fear of consequences, as I said I can make it 3 to 4 days .. but always cave in.

Am very close to losing my girlfriend again .. she is sick of it ..

I called a substance abuse counselor and will set up an appointment with them soon.

Basically I get anxiety and drink to cope with it .. am not sure how much of the anxiety at this point is caused by the alcoholism .. I have drank heavy for about 7 years ..
Old 03-21-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I found my anxiety improved so much after removing alcohol from my life. Alcohol causes anxiety, you will be stuck in an endless loop trying to make it better with booze. Glad you are calling a counselor, that sounds like a good start!
Old 03-21-2017, 05:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah for me drinking at my anxiety was like pouring gas on a fire. My original anxiety never went away and I also developed withdrawal anxiety.

The less you can feed that fire the better. Why not post here and talk to ppl next time you're anxious?

I hope the counsellor helps Volshen.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Volshen, we understand the anxiety issue, and I think it's likely you will feel so much better when you stop drinking. It will make things more manageable.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yo buddy! I fully get your situation man. I was in the same boat for about 7 years myself, maybe closer to 10. It got to a point where i'd get anxiety every day around 5:00 and literally hate the feeling of knowing the only way to make it go away was a handful of tall boys. Ive got 136 days now and i still for sure as **** get anxiety and i think am suffering from a bit of withdraw anxiety. Ill tell you what though, i have days that i feel so fricking good and i dont have to rely on a tall boy to feel better. It does get easier but if you dont just man up and break the cycle youre gonna be in it for a long time man. Its not easy, but ill tell you that in a 136 days my life is literally night and day different. Im a better husband, father, son, friend, employee, surfer, hell just human. Any thats only 136 days, cant imagine whats in store down the road if i stay the course. I am having a **** week with anxiety and feel awkward, light headed, racing thoughts all of it. I keep my eyes on the prize and look at it like a fight. Ill endure a week of **** anxiety to feel better than i have in 7 years for two weeks or so. I dont know man, i come to SR to vent and see others are going through the same stuff and wanted to drop you a line. Feel free to PM if you want man. Its a breathe of fresh air when you talk to someone who can actually relate and not tell you you should feel better now cuz youre not drinking. On that day 3 or 4 where you get anxiety and want to go drink. Think of losing your gf, all the BS that has been in your life because of booze, all the things you havent done because youre too hungover or there wasnt beer there. It will keep you out of the store. You got it brother!!!!
Old 03-21-2017, 06:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Sick and tired of being sick and tired can be a good starting point in my experience. I found the anxiety to be a chicken and egg delimea at times. When I got some sobriety it lessened and I was taught other coping methods.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oakleaf82 View Post
I found my anxiety improved so much after removing alcohol from my life. Alcohol causes anxiety, you will be stuck in an endless loop trying to make it better with booze. Glad you are calling a counselor, that sounds like a good start!
I found the same thing as Oakleaf, my anxiety has lessened since I have gotten sober.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello.

I haven't had a drink since I posted this but I did experiment with pot 3 or 4 days ago. My thinking at the time was what if I could replace the drinking with something I have heard is less harmful.

All it did was raise my anxiety and make me feel like I had given up on trying to be sober.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Volshen View Post
My thinking at the time was what if I could replace the drinking with something I have heard is less harmful.
There is something to replace drinking. It's called recovery.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good for you for not drinking. Have you heard anything back about therapy?
Stay close.