Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Agnostic, Currently in recover at home (after a hospital visit), also have a filmmaker

Notices

Agnostic, Currently in recover at home (after a hospital visit), also have a filmmaker

Old 03-21-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

You can call me Rafa, or Don Rafa. I am currently undergoing my 4th attempt at quitting. Since I am not one for counting, that number could be higher. I have only gone to rehab once, but I have gone dozens of times to AA , and NA. I actually enjoy NA more, but if I find the right AA place, I'd give it a shot.

I'm in the fixing up phase. I was driving to visit family, because I wanted to quit. However, 4 hours away from them, I started having withdrawal feelings. I decided to stop driving and rent a hotel.. I immediately called over family, and they picked me up the next day, but I had to self medicate until they got there. After a 4 hour drive, I made it to the hospital. They prescribed me the medicine I needed, with the instructions I needed. Since when I got there I had alcohol in my system, and they couldn't detox me. So I went back later that night.

Even with the medicine, the night was rough, as the first night usually is. I went back home, and slept in the same room with family, so they could monitor me. I was still afraid of seizures, even though i was assured the librium would prevent them. Well, the seizures never did happen, but much of the usual did : the gross cold sweats, the vivid nightmares of people pocking at me, hands grabbing me, and a bit of high heart rate.

With that out of the way. I have coping methods. Exercise is one way. I love to run. This obviously makes me go from being a depressed alcohol, to an enthusiastic recovering alcoholic. I love playing video games, and I have a dream of writing a script.

You might enjoy the idea I have, but to sum it up shorty, it would be about my own experiences with my nighttime alcohol withdrawal. Additionally, the film would be a horror film, but some of the audience will not know its also about the withdrawal. Alcoholics who watch it might know right away, but only subtle clues would give the non-alcholoics any indication.

I'm hoping the critics, and the alcoholics will eventually make it obvious what the films is about, and eventually it may surprise non-alcoholics of the dangers, the fear, the shaking, the nightmares.

Thats all for now!

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2017, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, and I think it is a great idea. If I had any idea that you could go through withdraws and to the extent of what can happen I may have never started in the first place. I literally had no idea you could until I tried to quit cold turkey a few years back, Scared the crap out of myself. I saw my toddler come in my room in the middle of the night and when I reached out to him he wasn't there.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you got medical help for your detox and that you have family support.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR

D
Old 03-21-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WizingUp View Post
Welcome, and I think it is a great idea. If I had any idea that you could go through withdraws and to the extent of what can happen I may have never started in the first place. I literally had no idea you could until I tried to quit cold turkey a few years back, Scared the crap out of myself. I saw my toddler come in my room in the middle of the night and when I reached out to him he wasn't there.
They are beyond just normal nightmares. You see things, hear things, and you feel them too. To tell that to a person who's never experienced it must be difficult to understand.

The hospital is always the way to go , and I would never encourage anyone to quit cold turkey, and on their own.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We're so glad to have you with us, Rafa. You found a friendly & encouraging place.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DonRafa View Post
They are beyond just normal nightmares. You see things, hear things, and you feel them too. To tell that to a person who's never experienced it must be difficult to understand.

The hospital is always the way to go , and I would never encourage anyone to quit cold turkey, and on their own.
Oh this was a full on hallucination. Crazy. The nightmares are horrible too. I got some Lorazapam to get me through it this time.