Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

sometimes in recovery you can see your addiction shine through

Notices

Old 03-20-2017, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The other day I was feeling a little glum because every time my kids go back to their mom for a week, I have a heavy sadness settle in.

This time was more pronounced because the duration will be three weeks due to an unfortunate alignment of their spring break in the normal custody schedule.

During that time, our new baby is due.

All of it created a sort of confluence.

My wife texted - could I stop and get some milk on the way home. Sure, I said. Then the thought hit me; I could pick up some of those great molasses cookies at the bakery.

Then I thought - but those'll give me heartburn. And I hadn't had heartburn meds. So, then I thought I'll just stop at Walgreen's, pick up heartburn meds, so I can eat the cookies. While there, I thought a Mountain Dew would be pretty good. Since I'm having the cookies and the heartburn meds anyway...

So I grab the mountain dew, head to the grocery, pick up the milk and the cookies and am already eating a cookie on the way home, washing the heartburn meds down with mountain dew.... all the while thinking to myself "what the heck are you DOING? This is so dumb. This doesn't get you off the heartburn meds, the sugar rush isn't worth the trouble, you're going to regret this soon....." and at the same time thinking "Screw it. I can eat better and stay off the meds tomorrow".

Granted; cookies and heartburn meds and mountain dew are a lot less harmful than alcohol and drugs..... but it's still addiction. It's still the addictive response to the presence of emotion. It's still a clear example for me to see clearly; I'm not free of addiction though I'm free of drugs and alcohol.

I took two lessons from this experience;

1 - It reinforced my sobriety and my resolve to remain sober, because I can see clearly where even "just one" would lead....

2 - It helped call attention to my need to pay attention to my emotional needs, to put in some new work in this area and make sure I'm tending to myself wholly and continuing to deepen my sobriety and my quality of life.

Just thought I'd share - because even though I'm in my 4th year of sobriety, there's always the potential for risk and the potential for greater sober improvement.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate to this so much! Thanks for sharing
Old 03-20-2017, 11:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great example, FreeOwl, and so true!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah I've definitely been rewarding myself with food (sugar) since quitting..... gonna end up getting even chubbier if I don't check myself. It beats drinking but it's still hitting that same reward center of my brain that I'm trying to fix.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Mr

Agreed. I quit 5 1/2 months ago and I have these moments of over indulgence. ... comes and go's in phases. No good for the gut either. Needs controlling.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks, FreeOwl.

Good Food for Thought.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
All is Change

Indeed. It seems in many ways I'm doing very well but those lows, and highs, still threaten to knock me off the perch. The salvation, for me, is 1. recognise what's going on and stop acting out. 2 maintain a contiguous equanimous awareness of the breath in the area of the nostrils. In this way the ephemeral sensations pass. These days, after so much practice, they pass quickly but when they are most intense the habit to act out on them is still there.

There is knowledge that they are ephemeral and they will pass and that I don't help myself by submitting to them.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Spot on and thank you.

The self-awareness that comes with increasing sobriety shines a light on to much that I do that is evidence of my addiction.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Till about an hour ago, I had been procrastinating my schoolwork for the past three days. Not coincidentally, I pigged out like it was going out of style!

I really, really need to stay on a schedule of doing the next right thing. Too much laxity for me leads to loss of control and a feeling of hopelessness.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a more sensible day both with schoolwork and with food consumption.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

.................Spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally.

We often trade our addictions into others. Sugar is not as "sweet" as we think.

I struggle too with sugar from time to time.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A few weeks ago I was at the hair salon. They have the combs in a jar of barbicide for disinfecting purposes. I thought to myself, "Barbicide must have a high content of alcohol....I wonder if you could drink barbicide..."

WHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

LOL
Old 03-20-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A lil bit insanity..............

Hmm,
Old 03-20-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I bought a 6 pack of coconut popsicles the other day thinking I would be a good boy.

Got back to the vacation trailer here and ate all 6 in a row.
And then felt kinda bad about it.

Just one seems to never be enough for Bob.

M-Bob
Old 03-20-2017, 03:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That would kinda be me, too.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:03 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

c011: