Notices

Drank for 35 years, what now?

Old 03-19-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Drank for 35 years, what now?

Im in my late 40's and drank extremely heavily, and smoked cigarettes, for almost 35 years. Im a binge drinker. In the past five years I have been hospitalized multiple times. One time my platelet levels plummeted because of the extreme drinking. Several other times my shaking was so uncontrolled I could not walk, eat, drink...or even move. My life has been hard.

Ive been relatively successful in the past year and a half. I can count on one hand the number of binges. I have not had a drink in 4 months. I wonder what lies in store and how much damage Ive done to my body.

I go to the gym now about 4 or 5 times a week. I eat healthy food. My blood work was exceptionally good. I wonder how long I will live if I can stop for good?
Old 03-19-2017, 06:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. It sounds like you are turning your life around. Congratulations.The community here is very supportive. I suffer from health related anxiety (a lot of alcoholics seem to suffer anxiety). If you have good bloodwork and the doctor has given you a complete physical you may have dodged a bullet.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dano,
I drank longer than you did. I guess the way I look at it is my health and chance at longevity is much greater as long as I don't drink.

I also know that I will enjoy what ever time I have left a whole bunch more sober😀Good for you on your sobriety
Old 03-19-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You'll likely live a good long time! It seems the body has a remarkable ability to heal itself when treated properly. It also seems to me that the human body really wants to stay alive. If you have good blood work then quit the binge drinking, eat right and keep working out, you'll be ancient!
Old 03-19-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You've already got a great head start. How does it feel? How different is your life now? What are you doing with all the money you aren't drinking?

Old 03-19-2017, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think thats something we all ask in the beginning
My answer - something better than your wildest dreams.

I literally could not have dreamed this life up as a drinker cos I had no conception of how many great changes recovery would bring

I'm glad you found us Danomymano
welcome

D
Old 03-19-2017, 10:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Danomymano View Post
Im in my late 40's and drank extremely heavily, and smoked cigarettes, for almost 35 years. Im a binge drinker. In the past five years I have been hospitalized multiple times. One time my platelet levels plummeted because of the extreme drinking. Several other times my shaking was so uncontrolled I could not walk, eat, drink...or even move. My life has been hard.

Ive been relatively successful in the past year and a half. I can count on one hand the number of binges. I have not had a drink in 4 months. I wonder what lies in store and how much damage Ive done to my body.

I go to the gym now about 4 or 5 times a week. I eat healthy food. My blood work was exceptionally good. I wonder how long I will live if I can stop for good?
Welcome to SR! I'm glad you found us, Danomymano. Congrats on getting off the treadmill of drinking. None of us can ever know how many days we have left. Obviously you will give yourself a lot better shot at a healthy life by not picking up again. The human body is resilient and can heal a lot of damage once we quit poisoning it.