Notices

Need to change

Old 03-19-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need to change

Hi everyone,
I am 31 and have been binge drinking at least 1-2 times a week since I was 18. I can't remember having a week off drinking since I started. The blackouts are getting more intense and my behavior more erratic and disgraceful.. There is alcoholism on both sides of my family and assorted mental illnesses.
I am Day 4 of no drinking which was triggered by receiving a text message from one of my oldest friends calling my behavior disgusting and telling me to never contact her again. I have no memory of what happened and have been having panic attacks when I think of all the possibilities.. I really want to make sobriety work, I have ordered the big book and am awaiting its arrival. I'm really happy to have found this site, it has already been helpful in showing me that I'm not alone...
I can't have one drink without getting the taste for more and more.....
The addiction demon in my head keeps trying to convince m otherwise, but I'm able to challenge that at the moment. I really love the concept of one day at a time...
Old 03-19-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LW- good for you on sharing. Strength in unity. You have courage. If you stop drinking- the damage stops. Have you thought of going to a meeting? Empathy and support. PJ
KEEP POSTING.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to you, Ladywood. This is a friendly & encouraging place to be. I was able to stop drinking after 30 yrs.

When I was 31 I knew, like you do, that I didn't drink the way other people did. One or two drinks was never enough. Once the first drink hit me, I was headed to danger and an unpredictable outcome. I consider myself fortunate to still be here. I'm so glad you're admitting what it's doing to your life. You'll be avoiding so much pain. Good to have you with us.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome, and You are making a good choice to quit, I am 4-5 days too, I am starting to feel better and you will to, and as for your friend and the text message, a true friend will forgive you, might need a little time but all will work out if you just have faith in yourself.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I read the big book front to back. It really helped me to understand alcoholism and that I am not abnormal! I am 30 and my black outs were increasing in intensity. My last night of drinking Is a black hole. I don't have to have those anymore. I hope you don't either. Hang strong and we are here!
Old 03-19-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PhoenixJ View Post
LW- good for you on sharing. Strength in unity. You have courage. If you stop drinking- the damage stops. Have you thought of going to a meeting? Empathy and support. PJ
KEEP POSTING.
Thank you. I have been looking at meetings in my area but have not attended one yet. I feel a pull towards them, knowing that I will find my "tribe" there 😜
Old 03-19-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Welcome to you, Ladywood. This is a friendly & encouraging place to be. I was able to stop drinking after 30 yrs.

When I was 31 I knew, like you do, that I didn't drink the way other people did. One or two drinks was never enough. Once the first drink hit me, I was headed to danger and an unpredictable outcome. I consider myself fortunate to still be here. I'm so glad you're admitting what it's doing to your life. You'll be avoiding so much pain. Good to have you with us.
Thank you so much. I can already tell this community is going to be very helpful
Old 03-19-2017, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Linz805 View Post
I read the big book front to back. It really helped me to understand alcoholism and that I am not abnormal! I am 30 and my black outs were increasing in intensity. My last night of drinking Is a black hole. I don't have to have those anymore. I hope you don't either. Hang strong and we are here!
I can't wait for it to arrive!
The blackouts are terrifying! I turn into a wild woman and have no care for anyone or Anything other than myself and another drink.. I become such a different person to who I really am. At the start I thought drunk me was more fun and outgoing, but now I turn into a self centered, provocative *******!
Old 03-19-2017, 06:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IN2Q View Post
Welcome, and You are making a good choice to quit, I am 4-5 days too, I am starting to feel better and you will to, and as for your friend and the text message, a true friend will forgive you, might need a little time but all will work out if you just have faith in yourself.
I already feel clearer in my mind and the cloud of depression is slowly lifting. My anxiety is still present but at a tolerable level. I have a feeling that one of the reasons I have been drinking to manage my anxiety, only to find it increases it of course!
Old 03-19-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome ladywood

D
Old 03-19-2017, 06:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ladywood11 View Post
I can't wait for it to arrive!
The blackouts are terrifying! I turn into a wild woman and have no care for anyone or Anything other than myself and another drink.. I become such a different person to who I really am. At the start I thought drunk me was more fun and outgoing, but now I turn into a self centered, provocative *******!
I saw you were going to try AA. I hope you do! That is where I go. It took me months to feel comfortable and find even just one good friend but now I have a few people I can call and I am sure great relationships will prosper. Let the real you shine! Alcohol always brought out the worst in me!