Notices

I need to do this...

Old 03-19-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to do this...

I'm just not sure if I can. I've been hesitant to post here, but I think I've been lurking long enough. After dealing with heart palpitations for several days, I decided to look up the correlation between them and alcohol. I've experienced them before in relation to anxiety, but i haven't been feeling too anxious lately so i figuered there had to be another cause. That's how I found this site. Anyways, I'm worried that I might be doing some damage to my heart with my 2 bottles of wine a day habit, so I want to stop. The problem is I've been drinking starting in the morning to ease the palpitations, only to have them come back full force in the middle of the night. My anxiety issues are the reason I've become such a heavy drinker. I have pretty bad health anxiety, mostly worried about anything heart related. So when I would get the slightest chest pain or odd feeling, time to start drinking. And everything would go away. Now I've developed a bit of agoraphobia. I can leave my house, but only with my husband or certain family members. And I always drink to go out. I really want to quit, but I'm terrified of withdrawal symptoms. Today I have only taken 3 sips of wine when i was feeling super anxious. I hope to have a day soon when i drink absolutely nothing and don't feel like I'm on the verge of a heart attack. Thanks for reading.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome to SR. You may find out that the alcohol consumption is actually the source of your anxiety. It sounds like a medical detox would be the safest option. I know that the withdrawals were a primary reason for me wanting to quit. I thought I was going to have a heart attack, or other irrational thoughts. Its absolutely horrible. Other folks will be along shortly to offer some more solid advice.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Palps- can be fight or flight response from anxiety as well. Either way I would suggest you get honest and see a doc. Support and empathy to you.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome jaz

yeah it's a vicious cycle - we get anxious and drink to try and manage that but drinking makes us more anxious..

The only way to get out of the cycle is to remove the alcohol.

That's always tough but especially so in your case maybe?

I think if things are getting so debilitating you can't leave the house easily, it's time to see your Dr - maybe your husband can go with you?

D
Old 03-19-2017, 04:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Jaz,

I found this forum about 3 weeks ago. The support offered here has helped me tremendously and I am sure it can do the same for you!
Old 03-19-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Jaz, I know all to well how you feel, in January I made the decision to quit, I failed more than I succeeded for the first 9 weeks, than the DT's started, the skin on my face started to peel and flake, I didn't connect the dots till I googled possible causes. (happy ending, I also found this site) Since I have gone a few days more and more between drinks till last Tuesday when I stopped all together, in this last few days I have had chills, sweats, tremors, fluttery feeling in my chest, I have chewed all my fingernails, headaches, being hungry but can't eat, puffy eyes/face, my feet are freezing, and a little vertigo. My cravings have taken on a personality of their own (I am calling the cravings Alfred, cause the voice I picture is from Hitchcock Presents.) DT's have a wide rang of possibilities and no two people will experience them the same.
I keep telling myself I only have to do this once, If I survive and stay clean than this will be the only time I will have to feel this bad. It is already getting better, I feel less icky and look more pink.
I suggest if your worried about the effects of quitting you should talk to a Doctor, they will be able to help you decide what is the best plan for you.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous. It's wise to get help from your doctor. Sometimes meds can be given for a few days to prevent seizures and relieve the w/d anxiety.

You'll find lots of support here.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate as I use to have pretty severe health anxiety especially heart related. I use to get palpitations so bad it felt like someone punching me from the inside out. I had numerous ekg's all of which came back completely normal, with the same diagnosis of being anxiety related.
Alcohol may kick the can down the road, but it just makes things worse and worse.
I would take a visit to your docs just to get checked out, also to look into a detox plan. Also I think starting therapy would be a good option as well to resolving your anxiety issues rather than continuing the ferris wheel of alcoholism.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You'll get a lot of support here.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum
Old 03-19-2017, 06:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Jaz, you sound so much like me. I drink to escape the anxiety but it only makes it worse. I've had similar symptoms to you and normal ekgs. I don't have much advice as I'm new here and still struggling. I just wanted to let you know I can empathise and offer support.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I'm so happy that I found SR Last night was the first night in, well, I don't even know how long, that I didn't go to bed nearly passed out drunk. Took a magnesium supplement and slept great! No waking up at 3am with anxiety and not being able to fall back asleep. Woke up at 7 feeling good, not groggy and headachey...it was a nice change!
Old 03-20-2017, 06:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR!

Best of Luck on Your Journey!

Social Anxiety Disorder and Alcohol - EverydayHealth.com
Old 03-20-2017, 07:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Jaz!

As others have said, the drinking/anxiety cycle is common and it's scary. I'm glad you feel a bit better and I know that if you stop drinking completely, you will find your anxiety becomes much more manageable.