Notices

It's just dinner.

Old 03-18-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Great job on trusting your gut in not going! I agree, sounded like a bad idea. A lot of my family and friends don't get it. I had to accept it doesn't matter what they think and it only matters what I thought about my drinking. I couldn't be around alcohol for quite some time when I got sober. I was afraid it would jump out of someone's cup and into my Mouth lol. I've slowly reintroduced myself around it if I have to but I still do not go to bars with old drinking buddies. That's just my personal choice. Keep trusting yourself and making the decisions to keep your sobriety first!
Old 03-18-2017, 03:14 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice and insight here zen...if the people closest to you don;t get it, stock up on those that do, like people here or maybe even some real life support?

D
Old 03-18-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yeah Dee I've been seeing a counselor and I've been to one Refuge Recovery meeting.... but yes I do need sober friends. I'm working on it! SR has been a fantastic source of support and guidance. This place is wonderful.

I heard back from my friend and we are going to lunch tomorrow

I've been feeling quite grumpy all day..... I think it's my AV throwing a bit of a tantrum over last night, trying to use my emotions against me. I'm just feeling tense and off. I did some yoga and ate a nice healthy dinner. I'm trying to remind myself that these feelings of unease are my addiction coming to the surface and if I can sit with it and allow myself to feel the discomfort then over time it will get easier as I learn to release IT.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

......restless, irritable and discontent. It's the nature of the illness.

Thankfully, we know there's a solution.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Well my bf just headed out to go drinking with the same two friends from last night and they all invited me out even though I just told them all yesterday that I won't drink with them....... what is it ground hog day here? SMH and laugh. I'm fine here though, going to head to bed early and sober and wake up tomorrow feeling hangover free.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Zen,

Nicely done beating down that AV. You will wake up today feeling fantastic, probably can't say the same for your friends.

Have you thought about taking a class, or joining a running/walking club to meet some new people? Have you met anyone through your recovery program?
Old 03-19-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Delilah yes I've put some thought into taking a class or some group activity, I have a few ideas. I've been to 1 meeting that I liked and I'll go back to it. Honestly the social aspect is the hardest part for me..... I haven't gone out trying to make friends before, it always happened naturally and alcohol was always a huge factor in my social life. I feel kind of bare and reserved without it. So while I've put some thought into taking action in this department I haven't actually worked up the nerve to get out and do it. I know that I will have to start to though. This weekend was pretty lame just sitting home on my own after turning down drinking invitations, not how I envision my new sober life. Gotta say it felt damn good to wake up this morning without a hangover! My bf has been a total potato and my friend cancelled lunch because they both feel like crap.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My first year or so of AA I made lots of friends but made little contact with them outside of meetings. As I stayed sober and got to know them better and they me, we now do many fun things outside of aa like eating out, going to the beach, movies and drive together to meetings farther out from home. I have some great support from the women.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:42 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Great decision zen. It's these seemingly little decisions that can make or break sobriety. It's hard to say no to social pressure, but it's absolutely necessary, especially early on in recovery. The first few "sports bar" type situations are minefields, but it gets easier once people get the message that you're dun with drinking for good.